Ike gone

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:44 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:00 pm

All great points and very well thought out response.

The one point I would make, not in disagreement with any of your thoughts, why did Ike announce on the day Linder is burying his dad. He had days before and many days after he could have entered the portal. Many 12 year olds might have had enough presence of mind to think about the timing. He also could have left anything out regarding coaching etc, and just stated he feels it’s better for his future, like I have when I have left one job for another. No reason to burn a bridge……..
You bring up great points.

It is perplexing. The only rational explanation I can come up with is that Ike either didn't know when the funeral for Linder's dad was or that it slipped his mind. No decent person should or would do that intentionally. Even if a player despised a coach that would be beyond low.

Once again - to give Ike the benefit of the interview (which is tone deaf beyond belief), he might have just been excited and wanted to be honest about what he was looking for in a program and had blinders on to how his statements could be interpreted. Perhaps when he said "I want to be coached" perhaps internally he really was thinking or believes that he appreciated the coaching he got at Wyoming and hopes to find a situation where he will coached similarly at the new program. The statements certainly don't come across that way and a reader is going to be led to believe that he is insinuating he wasn't coached and the coaching is poor at Wyoming. I'm giving Ike all of the benefit here. If he truly didn't intend to take shots at Linder and staff, I'd strongly recommend he let the world know that by posting to social media (a simple statement of - "I appreciate the time at Wyoming and the coaching that Linder and staff provided and the wide open arms within which the Wyoming community embraced me...").

But he is a player that had impressed me with what I previously perceived as his maturity and awareness at Wyoming. My impression of him has certainly taken quite a hit.
Fair enough.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

Ike did post on his Twitter account a nice thank you to Wyoming and Linder. I am not tech-savvy enough t post it here. Hopefully someone will.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:16 pm Ike did post on his Twitter account a nice thank you to Wyoming and Linder. I am not tech-savvy enough t post it here. Hopefully someone will.
Damage control. The guy is a tool
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:18 pm
doreno5 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:16 pm Ike did post on his Twitter account a nice thank you to Wyoming and Linder. I am not tech-savvy enough t post it here. Hopefully someone will.
Looks like he just copied one of the many "thank you...blah blah blah...university of blah blah blah" poop posts on Twitter that this generation so loves to do. I mean really, WTF, is your social media post supposed to make me feel better that you quit on my favorite basketball team? LOL - effing A no. :twisted:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:41 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:18 pm
Looks like he just copied one of the many "thank you...blah blah blah...university of blah blah blah" poop posts on Twitter that this generation so loves to do. I mean really, WTF, is your social media post supposed to make me feel better that you quit on my favorite basketball team? LOL - effing A no. :twisted:
There is something nauseating about those types of posts. It's sort of expected for some reason. I guess I'll chalk it up to a generational difference because no matter who transfers... Is the same message.

That being said.... What is Ike specifically supposed to do? Is there a way that a player of that caliber could leave a program that doesn't piss people off? I get the hurt feelings....I myself have them.... It's the stated ill will that I don't get. I know much had been made of the timing of the announcement... But it would surprise me greatly if Linder learned of the transfer from social media on the day it became public.

The fact is, Graham wants to play somewhere else next year. In the past, rules made the cost to move programs, for players, very difficult. As much as it sucks for Wyoming.... Players should absolutely be able to do what Graham and others have chosen to do.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I'll probably get a bunch of crap for saying this, you know sour grapes and all that, but I honestly did not think Ike was that great. Sure, he is a moose and could push his way into the paint, but he was also a turnover machine and much of his success should be credited to his team mate Maldo. And, as I had expressed earlier, I wonder if he'll come back from the injury as good as he was before. I wouldn't be surprised if he fades away elsewhere, and we don't hear anything more about him.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

307bball wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:33 pm
McPeachy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:41 pm

There is something nauseating about those types of posts. It's sort of expected for some reason. I guess I'll chalk it up to a generational difference because no matter who transfers... Is the same message.

That being said.... What is Ike specifically supposed to do? Is there a way that a player of that caliber could leave a program that doesn't piss people off? I get the hurt feelings....I myself have them.... It's the stated ill will that I don't get. I know much had been made of the timing of the announcement... But it would surprise me greatly if Linder learned of the transfer from social media on the day it became public.

The fact is, Graham wants to play somewhere else next year. In the past, rules made the cost to move programs, for players, very difficult. As much as it sucks for Wyoming.... Players should absolutely be able to do what Graham and others have chosen to do.
disagree

In no other sports situation can you merely just leave and go to a different team. They're being compensated so don't start with the "muh not paid". That being said, maybe they could do 2 year scholarships where after 2 years you can transfer penalty free. You could still transfer after the 1st year but would have to sit.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:06 am
307bball wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:33 pm

disagree

In no other sports situation can you merely just leave and go to a different team. They're being compensated so don't start with the "muh not paid". That being said, maybe they could do 2 year scholarships where after 2 years you can transfer penalty free. You could still transfer after the 1st year but would have to sit.
The Wyoming sports fan in me wants your disagreement to actually be relevant. Unfortunately for you and me it isn't. College athletics programs do "compensate" the participants but the NCAA is completely allergic to calling them Employees.

In the real world, organizations enter into an employment type agreements with all of the rules and protections for both parties on both sides of that agreement. College athletics exists somewhere outside of that well defined ecosystem. College athletes are absolutely not paid in the sense that there are legally binding reasons to restrict them from moving to another program. Again, the NCAA has lost this battle. If it was really important for them to restrict player movement across programs... They would have made them "employees" a long time ago.

This is the problem that college sports has created for itself. The NCAA's hypocrisy in trying to have it both ways is ultimately going to end up hurting the vast majority of it's membership. The amount of $$ tied up in men's college athletics is astronomical.

The way this now is manifesting is that loyal, passionate fan bases and the best players that they cheer for are constantly thrust into this Kafka-trap. I actually believe that the vast majority of players, including Graham, are decent people who legitimately have good relationships with their teammates, coaches, and fan bases. The incentives are just terrible though.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Lots of noise about Ike going to Indiana.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

With u saying Ike wasn't great and all that I kinda agree, but that 1 year was fun, cuz the every 8-15 years between NCAA tourney apperances might be even longer unless the chemistry of this pickup game we play from here on out is great and go on a season roll!!
Oh Graham, what coulda been, but hey woulda coulda shoulda they're all guilt words
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:23 pm Lots of noise about Ike going to Indiana.
Betcha he gets homesick!!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:14 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:23 pm Lots of noise about Ike going to Indiana.
Supposedly Indiana offering Ike $500k. Arkansas is interested as well.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

ZapPoke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:32 pm I'll probably get a bunch of crap for saying this, you know sour grapes and all that, but I honestly did not think Ike was that great. Sure, he is a moose and could push his way into the paint, but he was also a turnover machine and much of his success should be credited to his team mate Maldo. And, as I had expressed earlier, I wonder if he'll come back from the injury as good as he was before. I wouldn't be surprised if he fades away elsewhere, and we don't hear anything more about him.
I don't see him as an NBA draft pick, but 19 points 9 rebounds as basically a freshman is pretty good. No doubt he was the best post we've had since Nance.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:31 pm
stymeman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:14 pm

If this is true, then we may as well drop D1 sports right now. They are offering him more than Jeff Linder's base salary? For an injury prone player who would not have been a 1st round NBA pick last year? Insanity. We will never have a good player for more than 1 year ever again.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:02 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:31 pm

If this is true, then we may as well drop D1 sports right now. They are offering him more than Jeff Linder's base salary? For an injury prone player who would not have been a 1st round NBA pick last year? Insanity. We will never have a good player for more than 1 year ever again.
It's going to be a crazy couple of years, but it won't be like this forever. The situation will change.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

flyfishwyo wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 am
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:02 am

It's going to be a crazy couple of years, but it won't be like this forever. The situation will change.
That is probably true but it doesn't have to last forever for the bottom two thirds of the NCAA to have irreparable harm done to it...

Let's call this period of time the "NIL wild west" or NILWW. During the NILWW, no team without deep pocketed NIL collectives will be able to keep a standout player....I think we all see that. If the NILWW persists for 3 more years ... those are years that no lower tier program can get back. Good coaches like Linder may not be able to last through that period...What if it lasts 5 years? While your prediction that it won't be like this forever seems reasonable...for every year that top players don't play out their careers at places like Wyoming, lots of damage is done to those programs.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:30 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 am

That is probably true but it doesn't have to last forever for the bottom two thirds of the NCAA to have irreparable harm done to it...

Let's call this period of time the "NIL wild west" or NILWW. During the NILWW, no team without deep pocketed NIL collectives will be able to keep a standout player....I think we all see that. If the NILWW persists for 3 more years ... those are years that no lower tier program can get back. Good coaches like Linder may not be able to last through that period...What if it lasts 5 years? While your prediction that it won't be like this forever seems reasonable...for every year that top players don't play out their careers at places like Wyoming, lots of damage is done to those programs.
So, should we drop D1 sports now?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

flyfishwyo wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:12 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:30 pm

My gut says no...but at least need to punt on that point. Our conference mates outside of BSU (football) and SDSU (basketball and football) are in similar situations (I think this is true anyways).

I just don't know how this gets better. Doesn't it seem like any player that turns out to be a diamond in the rough will not play his final two years here? Even once the NILWW settles down?

The point I was making about the NILWW not needing to last very long is kind of what big companies do to starve out competitors since they can afford to sell at a loss for much longer than the little guys can. I feel like Linder is a good coach but it is a strong possibility that we are staring down the barrel of an extended Heath Schroyer level stretch.
Cowpoke99
Buckaroo
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

307bball wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:41 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:12 pm

My gut says no...but at least need to punt on that point. Our conference mates outside of BSU (football) and SDSU (basketball and football) are in similar situations (I think this is true anyways).

I just don't know how this gets better. Doesn't it seem like any player that turns out to be a diamond in the rough will not play his final two years here? Even once the NILWW settles down?

The point I was making about the NILWW not needing to last very long is kind of what big companies do to starve out competitors since they can afford to sell at a loss for much longer than the little guys can. I feel like Linder is a good coach but it is a strong possibility that we are staring down the barrel of an extended Heath Schroyer level stretch.
While teams like FAU are making the final 4, this is our biggest hurdle
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy