Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

I am hearing university of Colorado.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:19 pm Also i have a ?....Does Laramie really truly suck as almost all our student athletes think it does??? Really?
Does Laramie suck? No, but that's very subjective.

Do a lot of student-athletes dislike Laramie? Absolutely. I know that a few years ago the majority of the players on the football and basketball teams did not like Laramie.

Do they all dislike it to the point that they feel they HAVE to move? No, but there are quite a few every year that do.

I've said it plenty of times, Laramie isn't for everyone. But there are more factors to staying/leaving than just the town.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 44 times

Playing time here vs sitting on a bench at a bigger school....hope they enjoy that...damn transfer portal
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

wyosports wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:59 pm I am hearing university of Colorado.
That would suck
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

That would make sense. They just lost their starting center to the portal. Ike would be close to home and playing for a pretty good coach.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 124 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:19 pm Also i have a ?....Does Laramie really truly suck as almost all our student athletes think it does??? Really?
I’ll miss some, but I’ll name several, Conrad Dobler, Fennis Dembo, Jim Kick, Josh Allen, Wingaard, Muma, Unrein, Epps, none of them thought so. I could name so many more……..but you get my drift.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 44 times

Maybe Boyle and Linder are swapping Lovering and Ike, kinda interesting
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:31 am
Maybe Boyle and Linder are swapping Lovering and Ike, kinda interesting
I wish it were true. Lovering started every game for CU this year. He only averaged 5 pts.
and 5 rebounds but he was very good defensively. His upside is huge.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 119 times

I have heard the same, so there may be some validity to it. It is his "home" after all as well....
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Bigger question is whether there were promises made to Ike which induced him to seek a transfer?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 224 times

doreno5 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:54 am
Bigger question is whether there were promises made to Ike which induced him to seek a transfer?
Of course there are promises being made. Any wise player entering the portal already has a sense of where they are going and what their financial opportunities are.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:34 am
doreno5 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:54 am

Of course there are promises being made. Any wise player entering the portal already has a sense of where they are going and what their financial opportunities are.
Without a doubt.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

I take back everything I thought about Ike. He wants to be “coached” and “held accountable”. What a douche canoe.

https://247sports.com/Article/Graham-Ik ... 207106000/
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 50 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:19 pm I take back everything I thought about Ike. He wants to be “coached” and “held accountable”. What a douche canoe.

Meh. What else was he going to say?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:19 pm I take back everything I thought about Ike. He wants to be “coached” and “held accountable”. What a douche canoe.

The lack of tact and gratitude is shocking and appalling. Can you imagine how Linder feels reading that?

Where were these big programs when Ike was hurt and no one was recruiting him? He was supported 1000% here and countless hours of development and rehab went into him. Announcing on Linder’s dad’s funeral was a horrible look. And he didn’t even bother to put out one of those cheesy thank you statements. Screw him. Totally different than what I thought of him. Total selfish a hole
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:47 am

The lack of tact and gratitude is shocking and appalling. Can you imagine how Linder feels reading that?

Where were these big programs when Ike was hurt and no one was recruiting him? He was supported 1000% here and countless hours of development and rehab went into him. Announcing on Linder’s dad’s funeral was a horrible look. And he didn’t even bother to put out one of those cheesy thank you statements. Screw him. Totally different than what I thought of him. Total selfish a hole
Yea - that was one hell of a tone deaf interview. I don't know if he meant to take apparent shots at Linder like that but there was no need for it. I'll chalk it up to ignorance (along with his announcement on the day of Linder's dad's funeral). But at the least it shows a lack of awareness that I hadn't sensed before with Ike.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:16 am

Yea - that was one hell of a tone deaf interview. I don't know if he meant to take apparent shots at Linder like that but there was no need for it. I'll chalk it up to ignorance (along with his announcement on the day of Linder's dad's funeral). But at the least it shows a lack of awareness that I hadn't sensed before with Ike.
It's one of those no-win situations for players like Ike...I mean we all agree (I think) that players should only play for coaches and programs that they want to play for....once a player wants to leave...does anybody want make them stay? In the case of good to great players, fan bases will never greet the news that the player is leaving with anything other than something between sadness and rage. Every statement they make will be dissected for reasons they may have been unhappy. I think others are probably right that Ike knew he would be leaving after this season at some point after the new year. He probably likes the guys he played with .... liked supporting them ... still likes Linder .... but he knows he's most likely not coming back. Every option, from announcing he's leaving the instant he decides to deciding to stay when he really wants to leave has obvious drawbacks for himself, his coach, the fans....everybody. These guys are trying to make the best of a bad situation....as bummed as I am that Ike is transferring....part of me recognizes a system that is really set up to suck no matter what.

There is no good way to transfer if you are a good player .... the program and fans you leave behind will never understand.

*edit* and to be clear...I'm not really advocating to be understanding....I'm a fan first after all...just trying to separate my "fan" perspective from how I view these people as humans.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

The sheer number of other programs which have been in touch with Ike is proof that his decision to enter the portal was well known in coaching /recruiting circles well before it was announced. Looking at the names he listed, i have to believe he has been weighing potential landing spots and NIL offers for weeks. It may not be allowed under the rules , but there are too many , too soon for it to be mere coincidence.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

All great points and very well thought out response.

The one point I would make, not in disagreement with any of your thoughts, why did Ike announce on the day Linder is burying his dad. He had days before and many days after he could have entered the portal. Many 12 year olds might have had enough presence of mind to think about the timing. He also could have left anything out regarding coaching etc, and just stated he feels it’s better for his future, like I have when I have left one job for another. No reason to burn a bridge……..
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:00 pm
All great points and very well thought out response.

The one point I would make, not in disagreement with any of your thoughts, why did Ike announce on the day Linder is burying his dad. He had days before and many days after he could have entered the portal. Many 12 year olds might have had enough presence of mind to think about the timing. He also could have left anything out regarding coaching etc, and just stated he feels it’s better for his future, like I have when I have left one job for another. No reason to burn a bridge……..
You bring up great points.

It is perplexing. The only rational explanation I can come up with is that Ike either didn't know when the funeral for Linder's dad was or that it slipped his mind. No decent person should or would do that intentionally. Even if a player despised a coach that would be beyond low.

Once again - to give Ike the benefit of the interview (which is tone deaf beyond belief), he might have just been excited and wanted to be honest about what he was looking for in a program and had blinders on to how his statements could be interpreted. Perhaps when he said "I want to be coached" perhaps internally he really was thinking or believes that he appreciated the coaching he got at Wyoming and hopes to find a situation where he will coached similarly at the new program. The statements certainly don't come across that way and a reader is going to be led to believe that he is insinuating he wasn't coached and the coaching is poor at Wyoming. I'm giving Ike all of the benefit here. If he truly didn't intend to take shots at Linder and staff, I'd strongly recommend he let the world know that by posting to social media (a simple statement of - "I appreciate the time at Wyoming and the coaching that Linder and staff provided and the wide open arms within which the Wyoming community embraced me...").

But he is a player that had impressed me with what I previously perceived as his maturity and awareness at Wyoming. My impression of him has certainly taken quite a hit.