Marketing

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

The thing that really annoys me is that there seems to be zero in the way of imagination and creativity in terms of marketing our football program. As an example check out the online media platforms that BYU has for their football program and compare it with ours. I hate BYU. I would like to play them more because I hate them so much but that isn't my point. BYU seems to be engaging their fan base every single month of the year with something that is going on. For instance they recently had an alumni flag football game at their stadium in Provo. Now this is probably a little thing but to those who love BYU and have followed them for years I will bet this was something that many found interesting and motivating during the down time before the season. What do we do? What is our gold standard for marketing and for reaching out to our fans not only here in Wyoming but to alumni all over the country who follow the Pokes? Its like when the season ends the program turns into a bear and goes into hibernation until the spring game every year. I obviously have no idea who runs these kinds of things for our program but is there not anyone in the sports department that understands the concepts of fan activation and fan inclusion? Wyoming should be selling the football program every month of the year. Not only for fans but for engagement with potential recruits doing something/anything to keep the Pokes in the news with things to talk about and stay interested in. All we seem to get is the boring Cowboy Joe stuff every year. Even the gameday programs have lessened in quality over the past couple of seasons. We seem to have an administration that takes the fan base for granted asks for our money but never delivers anything stimulating or new. I know I am ranting here but this is something I have felt for a long time now and I guess I am just wondering if any feel these ways that I do? Same stuff every year with no deviation to the plan at all. It is almost like nobody is even trying to do anything different. Fan involvement and fan engagement is pretty low on the priority list best I can tell and with college sports facing so many changes it feels like Wyoming is being left in the exhaust fumes in yet another category. Sorry for the rant.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

I was banking on a few who were either in marketing or went to school for it as I did many moons ago. No takers? Fine lets move along then.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

One possibility is that there simply is not the population base or engaged alumni to really make a difference. WYO fans are interesting. On one hand, there is a relatively small group of loyal, die hards and on the other is the larger mostly fair weather fans. The latter will show up on GameDay if the teams are succeeding but will seldomly engage beyond that.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:21 am The thing that really annoys me is that there seems to be zero in the way of imagination and creativity in terms of marketing our football program. As an example check out the online media platforms that BYU has for their football program and compare it with ours. I hate BYU. I would like to play them more because I hate them so much but that isn't my point. BYU seems to be engaging their fan base every single month of the year with something that is going on. For instance they recently had an alumni flag football game at their stadium in Provo. Now this is probably a little thing but to those who love BYU and have followed them for years I will bet this was something that many found interesting and motivating during the down time before the season. What do we do? What is our gold standard for marketing and for reaching out to our fans not only here in Wyoming but to alumni all over the country who follow the Pokes? Its like when the season ends the program turns into a bear and goes into hibernation until the spring game every year. I obviously have no idea who runs these kinds of things for our program but is there not anyone in the sports department that understands the concepts of fan activation and fan inclusion? Wyoming should be selling the football program every month of the year. Not only for fans but for engagement with potential recruits doing something/anything to keep the Pokes in the news with things to talk about and stay interested in. All we seem to get is the boring Cowboy Joe stuff every year. Even the gameday programs have lessened in quality over the past couple of seasons. We seem to have an administration that takes the fan base for granted asks for our money but never delivers anything stimulating or new. I know I am ranting here but this is something I have felt for a long time now and I guess I am just wondering if any feel these ways that I do? Same stuff every year with no deviation to the plan at all. It is almost like nobody is even trying to do anything different. Fan involvement and fan engagement is pretty low on the priority list best I can tell and with college sports facing so many changes it feels like Wyoming is being left in the exhaust fumes in yet another category. Sorry for the rant.
BYU is a tough comparison. They have a built-in fan base they get to market to on Sundays. I see people all the time who didn't go to school there and don't care about sports wearing BYU logos.

I do agree that we could always do a better job of marketing.
wyoming>everything
Buckaroo
Has liked: 1 time

I am struggling with getting excited for the seasons lately under Bohl for a myriad of reasons, but one of which being no hype coming from UW. With the insistence of keeping everything going on at CIA level of secure, it just kills any excitement for me. I understand not tipping your hat to what youre working on, but it is no secret what we are going to do.

Spring ball should be a time to hype what should be a good team with experience, but it all just feels so damn flat to me the last few years. Probably a "me" problem, but god damn is it frustrating.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

wyoming>everything wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:43 am I am struggling with getting excited for the seasons lately under Bohl for a myriad of reasons, but one of which being no hype coming from UW. With the insistence of keeping everything going on at CIA level of secure, it just kills any excitement for me. I understand not tipping your hat to what youre working on, but it is no secret what we are going to do.

Spring ball should be a time to hype what should be a good team with experience, but it all just feels so damn flat to me the last few years. Probably a "me" problem, but god damn is it frustrating.
Take BYU out of the mix. I am sure there are many other schools who place a premium on marketing or hype or call it whatever you want to. We seem to be two steps behind everyone else as far as marketing is concerned. There is never anything going on from the point of one season ending and the next one beginning. Outside of signing days and the spring game that is about all that there is. No offseason stuff to involve fans no player appearances or alumni days or fan involved engagement stuff. I agree that there are two kinds of fans but maybe if the staff got up off of their asses and got creative things could change. As the literal only game in town throughout the entire state you might think that fan activation would be made a little bit easier with familiarity and then being able to punch through with some imagination and ingenuity. I chalk all of this up to simply being lazy and taking the average Wyoming fan for granted. Then about a week before the season starts they'll tell us to show up at a Friday night concert and the home opening game the next day. That's their idea of marketing. When I used to travel the state I would see Wyoming football billboards in many towns. I have not seen that in years. If the administration can't show they are excited for football then how can they expect the players and students to get excited?
PAPoke
Buckaroo

https://gowyo.com/staff-directory

Looks like the marketing and fan experience staff is pretty vacant...

The current AD for Marketing and Branding previously worked at Stanford as both the Director and Assistnat Athletic Director for Fan Experience and Community Relations.

I'm having hard time understanding why the outreach and marketing has been so dry.

My partner is the Assistant AD of Marketing and Fan Expeirence at a P6 school, maybe I can convince her to let me move back to Laradise and she can take that job.
Last edited by PAPoke on Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Only a BYU alum, CSU alum, or an ITT Tech alum would write that much without using paragraphs.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:41 pm Only a BYU alum, CSU alum, or an ITT Tech alum would write that much without using paragraphs.
Only someone like you would ignore the inarguable facts while probably being a Wyoming administration plant. Take many people's advice and get up off your ass and start working. Stop stealing your paycheck which I and many others help to fund.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

The best marketing would be an exciting winning team. Unless you have that, the rest of the hype is just noise. Lets hope Bohl has gotten the message that 2 runs off tackle followed by a pass at the at start of every series is not exciting.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:59 am I was banking on a few who were either in marketing or went to school for it as I did many moons ago. No takers? Fine lets move along then.
We can move along.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:41 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:59 am I was banking on a few who were either in marketing or went to school for it as I did many moons ago. No takers? Fine lets move along then.
We can move along.
Marketing is sales avoidance.