Football Transfer Season, Part 2

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:32 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:24 am
Bohl directly acknowledged that he wasn’t going to change his ways and that he understood players were and would continue to be poached. By all accounts, he appears proud of his and his staff’s ability to ‘develop’ players. It’s insanity to me.
By change his ways, do you mean not develop players? That would be dumb to recruit them, feed them, educate them and not develop them.
So true!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:24 am
Bohl directly acknowledged that he wasn’t going to change his ways and that he understood players were and would continue to be poached. By all accounts, he appears proud of his and his staff’s ability to ‘develop’ players. It’s insanity to me.
By change his ways, do you mean not develop players? That would be dumb to recruit them, feed them, educate them and not develop them.
No. I mean stop wasting so much time recruiting and developing high school projects. Start spending more time recruiting and developing JUCO, D2, FCS, etc. transfers.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:09 pm

No. I mean stop wasting so much time recruiting and developing high school projects. Start spending more time recruiting and developing JUCO, D2, FCS, etc. transfers.
If you are Juco, D2, FCS, or are just in the transfer portal considering going to Wyoming... That is a player that is not as good as the guys that have left. It seems to me you are betting that two to three years of a transfer that no P5 wants is better than one or two years of guy that gets "developed" into a legit P5 level player. You might be right I guess. Even if they is the case... How much better? Might not be enough to make a difference. We are not winning conference championships with either.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:00 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:09 pm

If you are Juco, D2, FCS, or are just in the transfer portal considering going to Wyoming... That is a player that is not as good as the guys that have left. It seems to me you are betting that two to three years of a transfer that no P5 wants is better than one or two years of guy that gets "developed" into a legit P5 level player. You might be right I guess. Even if they is the case... How much better? Might not be enough to make a difference. We are not winning conference championships with either.
Most of the P5 isn’t going to spend too much time on projects from lower levels. They will poach proven D1 players (we’ve already seen this play out).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:28 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:00 pm

Most of the P5 isn’t going to spend too much time on projects from lower levels. They will poach proven D1 players (we’ve already seen this play out).
I'm guessing there are a lot of factors that make transfers harder. Most of the guys available to WYO probably don't have a lot of college-level film. There's very few athletes in the portal that are from the region. SMU signs a bunch of TX kids for obvious reasons. Our recruiting budget is minimal and you don't know who is entering the portal until they enter the portal. For every "diamond in the rough" there are probably 30 that aren't going to make it any fbs school. Recruiting, vetting, researching, etc the recruits available to WYO probably is budget and time prohibitive to an extent.

Plug the wrong players into this system and it'll be a train wreck. Not saying to avoid the portal. I'm just saying it's probably more complicated for WYO. I think we're screwed no matter what barring some sort of system regulation/change.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:30 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:49 pm

We're going to see quite a bit of this for awhile. Academic ineligibles will jump in hoping to get picked up by someone less, um... "rigorous". After a few seasons, it'll fade...
Yeah, I heard the same thing about his academic ability. It's too bad he didn't get that figured out. He could have been a great player here.
Wyoming in the early 60s (under Devaney and Eaton) had the reputation of being the place to go if you had academic issues. This definitely is not true under Bohl. For that I give him credit, He expects players to be students as well.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Gavin Beerup entered the portal. He is the second QB turned other position to enter the portal so far. My guess is that he got an honest assessment that he wouldn't see much playing time at WR. Good luck to him.

To me - this should be the reason for the transfer portal. Not the 'leveling up' or chasing the payday.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I hope Craig Bohl and staff are making plans to visit a few players in Boulder. I am sure a few of these guys could contribute to our team...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ame-debut/

OL Jackson Anderson: A 6-foot-4, 295-pounder from Mineola, Texas, Anderson redshirted in 2021 and wasn't a contributor in 2022. He was a three-star prospect in the Class of 2021.

DL Aaron Austin: The 6-foot-2, 230-pounder was a three star prospect in the Class of 2022 out of Fort Worth, Texas.

LB Shakaun Bowser: The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder from Queen Creek, Arizona, didn't record any stats last year. He was a three-star prospect in the Class of 2022.

LB Devin Grant: The 6-foot-3, 260-pound sophomore has played in 15 games and started two during his three seasons with the program. He had 14 tackles and two tackles for loss in 2022 and was expected to contend for playing time in 2023.
OL Alex Harkey: The 6-foot-6, 305-pounder played one season at Colorado after transferring from Tyler (Texas) Junior College.

WR Montana Lemonious-Craig: The superstar from the spring game is one of the highest-profile departures from the roster. He is already receiving offers from FBS programs according to his Twitter account.

CB Jason Oliver Jr: The rising sophomore defensive back had 11 tackles in 2022 -- mostly as a reserve and on special teams. The 6-foot, 175-pounder wasn't expected to see much action in 2023.

WR Grant Page: A 6-foot-3, 200-pound rising redshirt freshman who was an option for rotational snaps. He played in two games in 2022.

DB Oakie Salave'a: Salave'a is a 6-foot-4, 220-pound rising redshirt freshman came to Colorado as a three-star athlete in the Class of 2022. He did not record any stats as a true freshman.

LB Aubrey Smith: Smith had eight tackles and one sack as a true freshman. He was a three-star prospect in the Class of Buford (Georgia) High School.

DB Xavier Smith: The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder from metro Atlanta signed as a three-star prospect in the Class of 2022. The speedster was the Georgia Region 4-AAAAAA Player of The Year in 2021.

RB Deion Smith: Smith was a three-star prospect in the Class of 2018 out of Houston.

WR Chase Sowell: Sowell entered the portal on Saturday. The rising redshirt freshman had two catches for 23 yards in three games last year, and was expected to contend for playing time in 2023.

DB Tyrin Taylor: The rising junior had 26 tackles and one interception last season. He was expected to contend for playing time as a starter for the Buffaloes prior to entering the portal.

WR Jordyn Tyson: The leading receiver from last season was a three-star prospect prior to his success with the Buffaloes in 2022.

RB Victor Venn: A three-star member of the Buffs' 2022 class, Venn didn't record any stats a season ago but had some breakout moments during the team's spring game.

DB Jeremy Mack: The 6-foot junior was a junior college transfer from East Mississippi CC who had 48 tackles last season with four starts.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:02 pm

To me - this should be the reason for the transfer portal. Not the 'leveling up' or chasing the payday.
Exactly. You’re going to be a senior with no redshirt and the coach leaves.
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand

It seems Coach "Prime" is clearing out a lot of players after the CU spring game. I wonder if other schools are experiencing similar numbers entering the portal. The portal makes your recruiting coordinator and scouting staff more important than ever before. Not only are you looking at incoming freshmen and JUCO transfers but now you have all of college sports as a possible recruiting base.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

I won't be upset to see all of this blow up in Prime's face.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 am It seems Coach "Prime" is clearing out a lot of players after the CU spring game. I wonder if other schools are experiencing similar numbers entering the portal. The portal makes your recruiting coordinator and scouting staff more important than ever before. Not only are you looking at incoming freshmen and JUCO transfers but now you have all of college sports as a possible recruiting base.
He publicly asked as many players as possible to enter the transfer portal so he could clear room for his guys. Hard to argue with the logic as bad as CU was last year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:49 am I won't be upset to see all of this blow up in Prime's face.
How could it? CU went 1-11 last year. They literally can't get worse. CU went from the worst P5 recruiting rankings to leading the country in portal recruiting rankings. Coaching is becoming less about X's and O's and more about marketing and NIL money raising. CU went from afterthoughts to their spring scrimmage being featured on ESPN. 'Coach Prime' will succeed; it's nearly impossible to fail outside of some crazy scandal.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:37 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:49 am I won't be upset to see all of this blow up in Prime's face.
How could it? CU went 1-11 last year. They literally can't get worse. CU went from the worst P5 recruiting rankings to leading the country in portal recruiting rankings. Coaching is becoming less about X's and O's and more about marketing and NIL money raising. CU went from afterthoughts to their spring scrimmage being featured on ESPN. 'Coach Prime' will succeed; it's nearly impossible to fail outside of some crazy scandal.
Well, given this newfound hype I would say that the bar is a lot higher than improving from 1-11 for CU. And marketing over X's and O's is exactly the type of problem (yes it is a problem) that is easy to predict here. As is triggering a mass exodus of players to plug in an entire lineup of transfers who have been told they are now the best new thing since sliced bread. If things go downhill there it will happen fast. Definitely an interesting experiment though.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

Breaking news, Biden didn’t enter the portal.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

Doubtful, he’ll have the Buffs in the playoffs in a few years if he doesn’t end up at a SEC school. Likely be in the top of their conference this season.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:53 pm
Doubtful, he’ll have the Buffs in the playoffs in a few years if he doesn’t end up at a SEC school. Likely be in the top of their conference this season.
We'll see. I would put my money on them not sniffing the playoffs. This isn't NCAA 14 dynasty mode on PS3.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

They're going to suck next year, but Prime Time should get one year to suck before people start calling for his head. I bet he gets it turned around in year 2
doreno5
Ranch Hand

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:07 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:53 pm

We'll see. I would put my money on them not sniffing the playoffs. This isn't NCAA 14 dynasty mode on PS3.
CU has a lot of positives to use in recruiting. With Sanders they are a legitimate top 10 attention getting program- good or bad. Boulder is a fantastic place to hang out in if you are a college student. Denver and its airport are
less than 30 minutes away. The alums are pretty well heeled and willing to spend money. The PAC 12 is winnable every year The school is well respected academically if the recruit is a true student athlete.

I would not sell their chances of being successful short. But I do think Sanders will leave for the SEC or perhaps Florida State or Miami given the opportunity.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

doreno5 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:29 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:07 pm

CU has a lot of positives to use in recruiting. With Sanders they are a legitimate top 10 attention getting program- good or bad. Boulder is a fantastic place to hang out in if you are a college student. Denver and its airport are
less than 30 minutes away. The alums are pretty well heeled and willing to spend money. The PAC 12 is winnable every year The school is well respected academically if the recruit is a true student athlete.

I would not sell their chances of being successful short. But I do think Sanders will leave for the SEC or perhaps Florida State or Miami given the opportunity.
Tough look here