Football Transfer Season, Part 2

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

307bball wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:33 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:01 am

No, I believe that was Ragtime. I don't see it being viable for a couple reasons.

(1) Why would the big programs agree to that? If the NCAA requires such a restriction/requirement, I could see the Big Programs saying OK, we will just leave the NCAA.

(2) I'm not sure that such a restriction/requirement would pass Anti-Trust law muster. So I'm not even sure it would be legal.
Oh for sure... Definitely pie in the sky.....

To be a top 60ish program in basketball or football was always tough for Wyoming.... The current system makes it nigh impossible.
Agree. It feels pretty hopeless absent some major change.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:27 pm
Good luck to him. Can't say I've ever heard of him but he is the first player I've seen enter the portal with practice film (including film from 7 on 7 drills).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:58 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:27 pm
Good luck to him. Can't say I've ever heard of him but he is the first player I've seen enter the portal with practice film (including film from 7 on 7 drills).
#17 Svoboda looks like he's got a cannon
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Wyoming and the rest of the MW or whatever is left of the MW after conference realignment will basically turn into the equivalent of minor league developmental programs for the Power 5 schools in major sports like football, basketball....What I wonder is if in the future professional teams might develop relationships with some schools to send promising players for additional development.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:41 am
307bball wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:54 pm The transfer guys that are considering Wyoming level schools have very little upside.
They might be hungry. I think we need to look at JUCO, Division 2 and FCS talent and evaluate players that might fit well in the system and who have the ability to be further developed. Once those players transfer to Wyoming, they are pretty much locked in and we can focus on football and not NIL, etc..
The basketball program has now taken this approach (signing players from JUCO, NAIA and Division 2). We will see first-hand how it works out.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:05 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:41 am

They might be hungry. I think we need to look at JUCO, Division 2 and FCS talent and evaluate players that might fit well in the system and who have the ability to be further developed. Once those players transfer to Wyoming, they are pretty much locked in and we can focus on football and not NIL, etc..
The basketball program has now taken this approach (signing players from JUCO, NAIA and Division 2). We will see first-hand how it works out.
Can't be worse than last year.... (right?)
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

303cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:21 am
303cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:16 am multiple Power 5 personnel officials told On3 that they view Pregnon as the top overall prospect among the 89 FBS scholarship players that officially entered the transfer portal Saturday

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/new ... al-window/
Another interesting quote

“Wyoming does a good job out there, man,” the Big 12 personnel official said. “They’re one of the best developmental programs in the country. They do a really good job. Tip of the hat to freakin’ Wyoming. Every guy they have that gets in (the portal) goes somewhere big. People forget Craig Bohl was the one who started that North Dakota State train up over there. The guy knows what he’s doing over there.”
Well how wonderful we can develop guys so they can turn their backs on us and go somewhere else. Boy that's just the best.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

It'll be worst with young starters. Becoming a full time starter as redshirt freshmen is like ringing dinner bell for larger programs.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:13 am It'll be worst with young starters. Becoming a full time starter as redshirt freshmen is like ringing dinner bell for larger programs.
Bohl said yesterday that he is unwilling to adjust and Wyoming will continue to be a developmental program. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. He cites the success stories of several players who were developed before NIL and the transfer portal. Seems to be the bury your head in the sand approach.

https://7220sports.com/wyomings-craig-b ... tid=Zxz2cZ
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:12 am
laxwyo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:13 am It'll be worst with young starters. Becoming a full time starter as redshirt freshmen is like ringing dinner bell for larger programs.
Bohl said yesterday that he is unwilling to adjust and Wyoming will continue to be a developmental program. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. He cites the success stories of several players who were developed before NIL and the transfer portal. Seems to be the bury your head in the sand approach.

Don't want to make a mistake and apply black or white thinking here but I don't know what you do if you are Bohl. As I see it...you can go hard recruiting whomever doesn't get picked up in the transfer portal or you try and develop players. (In reality, both will happen)

The only positive about going hard on transfers and portal is that players are "stuck" and can't transfer again without losing eligibility (this could change). If you are a B10 school the other positive is that you get to pick players who have proven ability to play at the college level....that is not the case for Wyoming. The players in the portal that come to Wyoming will be guys that are below the median college football player...it will be very unlikely that a player arrives at Wyming and becomes a first team all-conference guy.

What about the guys you get out of high school and try to develop? That player coming to Wyoming is also thought of as below the median high school recruit, but those evaluations are a much worse predictor of how a player develops. In the past that type of player was the backbone of many of Wyoming's better teams. Now that player will leave if presented with an opportunity.

The choice seems to be consistency in not losing players to the portal but not having standout players ... versus having a year of a young promising player and then having to re-develop somebody afterwards. Does one of those seem better than the other? Maybe I'm wrong that portal guys that come to Wyoming have just as much chance to be great...If that is the case...then yes, it would be a mistake to eschew transfers.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

To sum up 307, we're screwed either way.

Realistically, we are hoping for the stars to align where we have an above average class of development players and transfer players all hit the field in the same year. It will be starting over the next year, if it ever happens.

Most years it'll be 1 step forward, 2 steps back.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:12 am

The way that I read it is that Wyoming will continue to identify under-recruited players and do their best to develop them. I support that. Every program in the country claims to be a "developmental program" but only a few are really good at it. Wyoming is one of those. Even transfers need development.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:20 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:43 pm If player leaves G5 and signs with P5, then for every transfer that G5 team should recieve an additional scholarship (exempt from title ix)and traveling roster spot. The scholarship is funded by the p5 school the player signs with.
Umm how would the NCAA be able to exempt title ix? That would require congressional action.
Or apparently executive directive by the president.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:09 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:20 pm

Umm how would the NCAA be able to exempt title ix? That would require congressional action.
Is the President considering something like that?

Don’t even get me started on executive orders. It makes me sick to see the level of legislation and usurping of congressional powers that we’ve seen in recent administrations.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:14 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:09 pm

Is the President considering something like that?

Don’t even get me started on executive orders. It makes me sick to see the level of legislation and usurping of congressional powers that we’ve seen in recent administrations.
Yep, but to avoid politics, let's avoid the rest of the topic. Basically, executive directive/order, 30 day comment period, new rule regarding federal funding and title ix compliance and new definitions.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

If Harsh comes back healthy and is everything bohl says he is, he'll be gone at the end of the year too.

I think Bohl and Co have hit pretty well on their P5 transfer players. We're already minor league feeder. We'll have players that stick around but we should be hitting up his contacts at P5 schools. P5 programs will most likely have to tell players they aren't going to get much playing time but coach Bohl could use someone just like you.

Or someone in the recruiting department needs to check in on players we lost recruiting to P5 programs and see if they're getting playing time by their sophomore/junior year. Whatever tampering is going on now could go both ways. We should get people not affiliated with school to contact them as intermediaries. Basically, the whole recruiting structure needs altered for todays environment
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:13 pm If Harsh comes back healthy and is everything bohl says he is, he'll be gone at the end of the year too.

I think Bohl and Co have hit pretty well on their P5 transfer players. We're already minor league feeder. We'll have players that stick around but we should be hitting up his contacts at P5 schools. P5 programs will most likely have to tell players they aren't going to get much playing time but coach Bohl could use someone just like you.

Or someone in the recruiting department needs to check in on players we lost recruiting to P5 programs and see if they're getting playing time by their sophomore/junior year. Whatever tampering is going on now could go both ways. We should get people not affiliated with school to contact them as intermediaries. Basically, the whole recruiting structure needs altered for todays environment
Right now it seems that there are no rules or if there are any those are routinely being ignored. I simply do not believe that someone like Ike or Pregnon did not get "recruited" by other schools prior to entering the portal or "advised" by others that other schools were interested. I guess the bottom line is as much as I hate the portal it is here and we have to adjust.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:13 pm If Harsh comes back healthy and is everything bohl says he is, he'll be gone at the end of the year too.

I know Harsh gets some NIL money from a local bank. Maybe that NIL money will grow if he has a stellar season. Plus, Harsh is from Scottsbluff, practically local. I'm hopeful he'd stick around.

Yeah, just set up a satellite office somewhere in the south and have a guy hang around SEC football and basketball practices and recruit their second stringers.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:23 am

Right now it seems that there are no rules or if there are any those are routinely being ignored. I simply do not believe that someone like Ike or Pregnon did not get "recruited" by other schools prior to entering the portal or "advised" by others that other schools were interested. I guess the bottom line is as much as I hate the portal it is here and we have to adjust.
Branch has directly come out and said that there are no rules and other schools are actively approaching our athletes with cash. Bohl was a bit more coy but alluded to the exact same thing when discussing Pregnon. Bohl stated he was not suprised Pregnon left because Pregnon had discussed it with him for weeks (apparently also including other schools' interest).