Laramie

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I hope to get to Laramie this summer and visit the school as well as seeing the other sights around Laramie.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:50 pm I hope to get to Laramie this summer and visit the school as well as seeing the other sights around Laramie.
See if you can find/meet Laramie’s most famous resident. He goes by the name ‘Skater Guy.’
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:50 am
CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:50 pm I hope to get to Laramie this summer and visit the school as well as seeing the other sights around Laramie.
See if you can find/meet Laramie’s most famous resident. He goes by the name ‘Skater Guy.’
He's a Laramie institution. Check him out on YouTube.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:35 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:50 am

I thought Ken the barrel man was the institution.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I live a couple doors down from skater man’s parents
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue May 09, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:24 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:35 pm

Nah. Skater Guy actually has some talent.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:28 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:24 pm

Ken is a Wyoming Sports institution.

Skater Guy is a Laramie institution. He works across the street from my office. He's in full character every day.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

flyfishwyo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:09 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:28 am

Ken is a Wyoming Sports institution.

Skater Guy is a Laramie institution. He works across the street from my office. He's in full character every day.
He shovels snow in his skater attire. Seems like a solid dude.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

I have no idea what Skater Guy is. Someone please fill me in.
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:38 pm I have no idea what Skater Guy is. Someone please fill me in.
If you spend any significant time in Laramie, you're bound to run into him. Dude is out skateboarding every day no matter what the weather is. Guy has been doing it relentlessly now for decades and has apparently created 100s of unique tricks. Has multiple closets of 90s wide pants and hockey jerseys. Always a nice dude. Rides for the brand for sure.

Several years ago, students on campus circulated a petition to remove the weird current statue in prexy's ('nuclear family') to a statue of skater guy.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Amazing. Never knew. Never saw him when I was in college, that I recollect anyways.

Also, Skater Guy would be a much better tribute in Prexys than the weird nuclear family thing that's there.
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

MrTitleist wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:38 pm Also, Skater Guy would be a much better tribute in Prexys than the weird nuclear family thing that's there.
No!! Come on Mr. T! The Russin sculpture is spectacular. Called the "University Family Statue" is was extremely appropriate and important for its time (1983). Of course, with any institution of higher education, you are going to see blow-back / protests / etc., but personally, I love the art, the artist, and what it stood for when placed. Then again the whole "woke" and "cancel culture" mantra adds a bunch of unnecessary drivel.

https://www.wyomingnews.com/laramieboom ... 67fce.html
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:12 am
MrTitleist wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:38 pm Also, Skater Guy would be a much better tribute in Prexys than the weird nuclear family thing that's there.
No!! Come on Mr. T! The Russin sculpture is spectacular. Called the "University Family Statue" is was extremely appropriate and important for its time (1983). Of course, with any institution of higher education, you are going to see blow-back / protests / etc., but personally, I love the art, the artist, and what it stood for when placed. Then again the whole "woke" and "cancel culture" mantra adds a bunch of unnecessary drivel.

How in the hell could that statute be at all considered inappropriate?! It's the most unoffensive sculpture I have ever seen. Some would call it boring, including me, but that doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. Yeesh.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:06 am

How in the hell could that statute be at all considered inappropriate?! It's the most unoffensive sculpture I have ever seen. Some would call it boring, including me, but that doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. Yeesh.
It is a University - everything offends everyone anymore. And I agree 100% with you...we are clearly eye-to-eye!

For the article to even reference replacing it with a "skater guy" statue? Give me a mufu'ing break. What a joke that would be, and UW would be laughing stock of the USA.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Good hell. We aren't going to make it. It was a good ride while it lasted.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

One of the statues was decapitated some years ago
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:28 am
WYO1016 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:06 am
It is a University - everything offends everyone anymore. And I agree 100% with you...we are clearly eye-to-eye!

For the article to even reference replacing it with a "skater guy" statue? Give me a mufu'ing break. What a joke that would be, and UW would be laughing stock of the USA.
I’ve personally never heard anyone say the current Prexy’s statue is offensive.

What it is to me and many others, is ugly, weird, out of place and a poor representation for the most visible place on campus. A huge steamboat like the one in front of the gateway center would make an infinite amount more sense. Statues like the ‘nuclear family’ have their place…just not in the center of Prexy’s IMO.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I would have never in a million years guessed you'd be going to bat for this statue. My comment was more in jest, but it is a strange statue for the middle of Prexy's.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:47 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:28 am

I’ve personally never heard anyone say the current Prexy’s statue is offensive.

What it is to me and many others, is ugly, weird, out of place and a poor representation for the most visible place on campus. A huge steamboat like the one in front of the gateway center would make an infinite amount more sense. Statues like the ‘nuclear family’ have their place…just not in the center of Prexy’s IMO.
There was a student group that did find it offensive and protested it because it was the color white. The group also said that the nuclear family was a symbol of offensive whiteness.