Coming to Laramie!!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Marshall2004
Buckaroo
Been liked: 3 times

I am a Marshall University season ticket holder living in Huntington, WV. My buddy is a Florida State season ticket holder living in Tallahassee, FL. We would frequently text each other during our respective games only for us both to ultimately say "leave me alone during the game" either because we were pissed off, too emotionally invested, or not wanting to jinx our success. We ultimately agreed that we needed to pick a "neutral" team that we would collectively root for that we could both enjoy from afar. A time zone to the west of our own was preferred so we could watch some later in the evening games after our respective days of east coast football. We cast a wide net and considered various schools. We ultimately settled on Wyoming because of their top 5 in college football uniforms. We have followed from afar for a few seasons. Watching when we can. We would text GIFs of Pistol Pete dancing in the snow whenever Wyoming would win. We exchanged Wyoming clothing for birthdays. I even got a "Go Pokes" said to me in a grocery store in rural West Virginia once while wearing my Cowboys hoodie.

The ultimate was we said someday we were going to go to Laramie for a game. And not some fair weather September non-conference game. We wanted a game deep in the season. Snow flying. Cold enough to freeze your face off. Die hard fans in the stands. We both have busy jobs and families so it never has happened. Until now! Though it isn't deep winter, the stars of work, kids, and schedules all aligned to make this the year. We are flying Frontier into Denver on November 2 and driving to Laramie where we will spend 2 nights and take in the 2023 Border War versus Colorado State. Travel arrangements are made. Hotels booked. Work schedules adjusted. This is happening. it is exactly 1,393 miles from my door to War Memorial Stadium, but that is exactly where I will be November 3rd at 8:00 pm.

A few questions:

1. How hard will it be to get game tickets? If you are anything like Marshall, tickets aren't hard to come by in November.
2. What are some must see stops in Laramie? Food? Drink?
3. I would love to get to know some locals on here and then stop by a tailgate or two. Unlike when speaking to rival fans on message boards, I am coming in Wyoming gear and cheering on the Pokes!

I have never been to Wyoming. Almost 1,400 miles. This is happening.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

That’s pretty cool!

It is really easy to get tickets to wyoming home games in November. You picked the right game, border war games are almost always the most memorable. I’d suggest buying any tickets anywhere in the stadium, wearing Wyoming clothes/colors and sitting in the student section on the stadium’s east side for the best experience (it is open seating).

There is a lot to do but I’d suggest you start gameday off with breakfast at the buckhorn bar in downtown Laramie before heading over to the tailgates. It will be cold most likely but the indoor practice facility will also be open for food/beer pre-game.

Welcome to Laradise!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

What a cool adventure! Breakfast at the Buck is a must. Check out Born in a Barn as well. You will be welcomed at many tailgates. The indoor practice facility is also fun for pre game beers. As a Marshall fan, if you run into linebacker Andrew Morris, tell him Phoenix Poke says hi!😁
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Marshall2004 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:14 pm I am a Marshall University season ticket holder living in Huntington, WV. My buddy is a Florida State season ticket holder living in Tallahassee, FL. We would frequently text each other during our respective games only for us both to ultimately say "leave me alone during the game" either because we were pissed off, too emotionally invested, or not wanting to jinx our success. We ultimately agreed that we needed to pick a "neutral" team that we would collectively root for that we could both enjoy from afar. A time zone to the west of our own was preferred so we could watch some later in the evening games after our respective days of east coast football. We cast a wide net and considered various schools. We ultimately settled on Wyoming because of their top 5 in college football uniforms. We have followed from afar for a few seasons. Watching when we can. We would text GIFs of Pistol Pete dancing in the snow whenever Wyoming would win. We exchanged Wyoming clothing for birthdays. I even got a "Go Pokes" said to me in a grocery store in rural West Virginia once while wearing my Cowboys hoodie.

The ultimate was we said someday we were going to go to Laramie for a game. And not some fair weather September non-conference game. We wanted a game deep in the season. Snow flying. Cold enough to freeze your face off. Die hard fans in the stands. We both have busy jobs and families so it never has happened. Until now! Though it isn't deep winter, the stars of work, kids, and schedules all aligned to make this the year. We are flying Frontier into Denver on November 2 and driving to Laramie where we will spend 2 nights and take in the 2023 Border War versus Colorado State. Travel arrangements are made. Hotels booked. Work schedules adjusted. This is happening. it is exactly 1,393 miles from my door to War Memorial Stadium, but that is exactly where I will be November 3rd at 8:00 pm.

A few questions:

1. How hard will it be to get game tickets? If you are anything like Marshall, tickets aren't hard to come by in November.
2. What are some must see stops in Laramie? Food? Drink?
3. I would love to get to know some locals on here and then stop by a tailgate or two. Unlike when speaking to rival fans on message boards, I am coming in Wyoming gear and cheering on the Pokes!

I have never been to Wyoming. Almost 1,400 miles. This is happening.
There's a pretty decent chance that you could get your snow-flying-freeze-your-face-off game wish coming in November.

Tickets will be pretty easy to come by. The Border War sells well, but those late season games are never sell outs.

Laramie has a pretty great food scene! Altitude is always worth a stop, as is The Library. A good option that is newer is Crow Bar. As said before, you MUST go to the Buckhorn in you're in town for a game. It's a legendary bar in town.

You are more than welcome to stop by my tailgate! There's a crew that comes up from Cheyenne that are all involved in Cheyenne Frontier Days. Plenty of food and beer to go around! CowBoyL and I will be tailgating hard!
Marshall2004
Buckaroo

Update from Huntington, WV. We are a little over a month out from our trip to Laramie. My Thundering Herd sit at 3-0 and my friend's Seminoles sit at 4-0. Saturday morning we both had noon games (VT and Clemson respectively) and texted each other beforehand that we hoped we could text later that evening during the Wyoming game with smiles on our faces. Mission accomplished. With both of us sitting on wins for the day, we settled in to watch Wyoming and texted throughout the game. Watched the miraculous win. Feeling good about our trip. The Pokes seem to have some magic this year.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

Marshall2004 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:49 am Update from Huntington, WV. We are a little over a month out from our trip to Laramie. My Thundering Herd sit at 3-0 and my friend's Seminoles sit at 4-0. Saturday morning we both had noon games (VT and Clemson respectively) and texted each other beforehand that we hoped we could text later that evening during the Wyoming game with smiles on our faces. Mission accomplished. With both of us sitting on wins for the day, we settled in to watch Wyoming and texted throughout the game. Watched the miraculous win. Feeling good about our trip. The Pokes seem to have some magic this year.
I think one Game's Magic is the next game's stink. Bizarre season. I'm still scratching my head wondering what i'm looking at.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:04 pm
Marshall2004 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:49 am Update from Huntington, WV. We are a little over a month out from our trip to Laramie. My Thundering Herd sit at 3-0 and my friend's Seminoles sit at 4-0. Saturday morning we both had noon games (VT and Clemson respectively) and texted each other beforehand that we hoped we could text later that evening during the Wyoming game with smiles on our faces. Mission accomplished. With both of us sitting on wins for the day, we settled in to watch Wyoming and texted throughout the game. Watched the miraculous win. Feeling good about our trip. The Pokes seem to have some magic this year.
I think one game is Magic is the next game is full of stink. Bizarre season. I'm still scratching my head wondering what I'm looking at.
Marshall2004
Buckaroo

This is my week! My wife and I fly to Denver and drive to Laramie Thursday. Put all that negative talk away. Believe me, I get you on the dissatisfaction with a coach. But I’m coming 1,400 miles to just take in a college football rivalry with no connection to the school or state. My buddy and his wife are flying from Florida.

Would love to meet some Wyoming fans before the game. I’m not here to mooch. Will throw some money in the jar at any tailgate. Can’t believe it’s finally here. Everyone I know thinks we are crazy for taking this trip. Haha.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

Marshall2004 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:07 pm This is my week! My wife and I fly to Denver and drive to Laramie Thursday. Put all that negative talk away. Believe me, I get you on the dissatisfaction with a coach. But I’m coming 1,400 miles to just take in a college football rivalry with no connection to the school or state. My buddy and his wife are flying from Florida.

Would love to meet some Wyoming fans before the game. I’m not here to mooch. Will throw some money in the jar at any tailgate. Can’t believe it’s finally here. Everyone I know thinks we are crazy for taking this trip. Haha.
Welcome. Its going to warm up in Laramie a bit - we only have a low of freezing on Friday - and a low of 37F on saturday.

We are all pissed off right now and probably getting after each other. You won't see that in the stadium though. What are your plans when you get here? I have decided if I'd walk over and go or not.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Welcome to 7220, not really sure what to think of this border war after the fiasco vs Boise last week, but one thing I do know is it's the Border War... say no more throw the records out and know it is usually a slobber knocker. You do need to sit in the east side lower section just to get a feel of our student section(i still do and im 30 years graduated). I love their energy and passion.... sure hope the Pokes wake up and WANT IT. Everyone's said the best things to do so have fun in Laradise, i know u will.. please give us an outsiders view on what's good or bad. But always remember It sux to be a CSU Ram!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Marshall2004 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:07 pm This is my week! My wife and I fly to Denver and drive to Laramie Thursday. Put all that negative talk away. Believe me, I get you on the dissatisfaction with a coach. But I’m coming 1,400 miles to just take in a college football rivalry with no connection to the school or state. My buddy and his wife are flying from Florida.

Are you Big Game Boomer?
Marshall2004
Buckaroo

I just looked up Big Game Boomer. I see why you might think that. Not me though. Just a normal fan. Looking forward to the distraction of the dumpster fire that my Thundering Herd season has become. 4-0 in September. 0-4 in October. Makes no sense. The wheels just came off. At least the Pokes are still in the fight.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Marshall2004 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:12 pm I just looked up Big Game Boomer. I see why you might think that. Not me though. Just a normal fan. Looking forward to the distraction of the dumpster fire that my Thundering Herd season has become. 4-0 in September. 0-4 in October. Makes no sense. The wheels just came off. At least the Pokes are still in the fight.
:rofl: :rofl: Wanna bet? 'Cos the wheels came off of our season when we screwed up royally against Air Force three weeks ago and then the nuclear dumpster fire two days ago in Boise on that damned blue field!!!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

We aint playing for no conference championship....again! Last outright title: 1988; Last one shared: 1993; tied with Fresno State and the group that no one on this board wants to talk about. Especially me!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I just thought I would throw this out there was well. The Marshall WR coach is non other than our beloved former WR Jovon Bouknight. He was the last great college receiver Wyoming had save for Tanner Gentry. I loved watching Jovon Bouknight when I was in highschool.
Marshall2004
Buckaroo

Quick memory of "that damn blue field" at Boise. In 1994 Marshall went to Boise in the semi-finals of the IAA Playoffs. We got way ahead and they came back and won in the second half 28-24. In those days cities bid on hosting the championship game and Huntington had won the bid, so the next week Boise came to our stadium to play for the national title against Youngstown State while we sat home. We have had some good times in IA football, but I have to admit to some nostalgia for those IAA days. Those playoffs were insane. We didn't constantly think about being IA or "power 5" or ESPN or "access bowls." It was just rivals and pride and the playoffs. Not saying I want to go back to IAA because I am describing something that no longer exists, but those were fun days.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Marshall2004 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:52 am Quick memory of "that damn blue field" at Boise. In 1994 Marshall went to Boise in the semi-finals of the IAA Playoffs. We got way ahead and they came back and won in the second half 28-24. In those days cities bid on hosting the championship game and Huntington had won the bid, so the next week Boise came to our stadium to play for the national title against Youngstown State while we sat home. We have had some good times in IA football, but I have to admit to some nostalgia for those IAA days. Those playoffs were insane. We didn't constantly think about being IA or "power 5" or ESPN or "access bowls." It was just rivals and pride and the playoffs. Not saying I want to go back to IAA because I am describing something that no longer exists, but those were fun days.
The 1995 1AA game was kinda cool. The 1996 one not so much.
ImageImageImageImage