Conference musical chairs

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:15 am How much longer is it going to take to just merge the MW and the PAC-2? Geez get it done!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA1i334F
You have the core of osu and wsu who want no association with any g5. They are hoping to gain a windfall of money (and not the liability) of pac assets.

Then you have the core of bsu, csu, fsu, and probably usu who don't want to associate with anyone in the mwc. They are hoping to latch onto anything so they feel like they can look down their noses at everyone else in the g5 ranks.

Since all of this is based mostly on delusion, I'm guessing it will take a while.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

I don’t even want Washington state or Oregon state. They think they are better than us and would be resentful. They would constantly be looking to break up the conference . Pass. Not good for wyoming
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:53 pm I don’t even want Washington state or Oregon state. They think they are better than us and would be resentful. They would constantly be looking to break up the conference . Pass. Not good for wyoming
I freely admit the only reason I'd like them is the potential for a better media deal, but who knows?

I'd also love to make trips to see us play at their places. OSU is a little easier for me than Pullman, but it would be fun nonetheless.

I still need to visit Boise one day. I have friends that live in the area.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:53 pm I don’t even want Washington state or Oregon state. They think they are better than us and would be resentful. They would constantly be looking to break up the conference . Pass. Not good for wyoming
They'll be as bad or worse than byu...especially at first.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:17 pm
The alternative is the Pac2 raiding enough MW schools to avoid paying exit fees. Not sure how UW figures into the equation.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:23 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:17 pm

The alternative is the Pac2 raiding enough MW schools to avoid paying exit fees. Not sure how UW figures into the equation.
I don't think that works but I could see them going pac2 for a year then raiding the mwc for 0 exit (or whatever the reduced ratec is). I thought that was a long shot but now I'm starting to wonder. One word: control. If they are awarded pac assets and have few liabilities, they might use the pac2 approach to maintain control of the situation.

The 72 mill liability to Comcast will impact things.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:23 pm The alternative is the Pac2 raiding enough MW schools to avoid paying exit fees. Not sure how UW figures into the equation.
The "market kings" are all convinced Wyoming brings nothing. I suspect the quality of the program and the assets of the University (we're the largest foundation and the largest booster club in the MWC, IIRC) mean that we have nothing to worry about.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... ce-in-2024

If true and huge if, it's the beginning of the end for the MWC. I wonder where we end up.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:35 pm https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... ce-in-2024

If true and huge if, it's the beginning of the end for the MWC. I wonder where we end up.
A lot depends on MW exit fees, doesn’t it?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:47 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:35 pm https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... ce-in-2024

A lot depends on MW exit fees, doesn’t it?
With notice, they'll be 17 mill. It's a lot but not insurmountable. Take 2 and the rest will sell their left leg to avoid a sinking mwc ship.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

The only thing this is doing is making sure Oregon State and Washington State have a plan for next year. They're going through a court battle right now that will take some time. Make no mistake, they will be in the same conference as Wyoming very soon. Whether that conference is called the MWC or PAC-xx depends on the decision of the courts.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

I just hope we don’t get boned. There should be some sort of guarantee that all MWC schools will join OSU and WSU if we are going to help them out
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:36 am I just hope we don’t get boned. There should be some sort of guarantee that all MWC schools will join OSU and WSU if we are going to help them out
I agree. I would be very suspicious of a plan to prop up WSU and OSU so that those schools can realize the benefits of the Pac12 assets, and, then later turn around and create a conference that kicks schools like Wyoming to the curb.

To me - the time to strike while the iron is hot is right now. If the MWC doesn't cave in and provide a scheduling arrangement, WSU and OSU will be forced to join the conference on the same footing as every other member (no way could they lure enough MWC schools to leave give the current exit fees).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:30 am

The only thing this is doing is making sure Oregon State and Washington State have a plan for next year. They're going through a court battle right now that will take some time. Make no mistake, they will be in the same conference as Wyoming very soon. Whether that conference is called the MWC or PAC-xx depends on the decision of the courts.
I hope you're right. I'm betting there are closed door discussions with 2 to 4 MWC schools with the plan of inviting 2 to 4 schools. The MWC TV runs through 2026.

If they pull bsu, suds, and/or fresno with subsidized exit fees in 2025 by inviting as soon as scheduling agreements are in place, it pulls the legs out from under the MWC TV negotiations which would take place in 2025 to get a deal in place for the expiring 2026 contract.

Once that happens, any MWC team will gladly pay exit fees to join the PAC. The end game is a pick and choose who enters the PAC. Will we be 1? I don't know.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:50 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:36 am I just hope we don’t get boned. There should be some sort of guarantee that all MWC schools will join OSU and WSU if we are going to help them out
I agree. I would be very suspicious of a plan to prop up WSU and OSU so that those schools can realize the benefits of the Pac12 assets, and, then later turn around and create a conference that kicks schools like Wyoming to the curb.

To me - the time to strike while the iron is hot is right now. If the MWC doesn't cave in and provide a scheduling arrangement, WSU and OSU will be forced to join the conference on the same footing as every other member (no way could they lure enough MWC schools to leave give the current exit fees).
I get the feeling there are conflicting motives in the MWC. There won't be enough votes to reduce or eliminate buyouts but there also won't be enough votes to have a united front.

I expect there are more than a few MWC programs that desire a "selective" PAC expansion.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:37 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:50 am

I get the feeling there are conflicting motives in the MWC. There won't be enough votes to reduce or eliminate buyouts but there also won't be enough votes to have a united front.

I expect there are more than a few MWC programs that desire a "selective" PAC expansion.
The long the court battle wages , the more likely nothing will be decided until the end of the year at earliest.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Army to the AAC. Could AF be next? It would put all the military service academies in the same conference.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 24-season/
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:59 pm Army to the AAC. Could AF be next? It would put all the military service academies in the same conference.

No. Never gonna happen. Why? The US military is acutely aware of how geography works. West Point and Annapolis are 260 miles apart. Colorado Springs and Annapolis are roughly 1700 miles apart. Football is not the only sport that is played. You also have to account for:

baseball
men's and women's basketball
men's and women's boxing
men's and women's cross country
men's and women's fencing
golf
men's and women's gymnastics
ice hockey
lacrosse
men's and women's rifle
men's and women's soccer
men's and women's swimming and diving
men's and women's tennis
men's and women's track and field
wrestling
volleyball
spirit.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:59 pm Army to the AAC. Could AF be next? It would put all the military service academies in the same conference.

Air Force has previously thrown dirt on this speculation.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:56 am

No. Never gonna happen. Why? The US military is acutely aware of how geography works. West Point and Annapolis are 260 miles apart. Colorado Springs and Annapolis are roughly 1700 miles apart. Football is not the only sport that is played. You also have to account for:

baseball
men's and women's basketball
men's and women's boxing
men's and women's cross country
men's and women's fencing
golf
men's and women's gymnastics
ice hockey
lacrosse
men's and women's rifle
men's and women's soccer
men's and women's swimming and diving
men's and women's tennis
men's and women's track and field
wrestling
volleyball
spirit.
Keep in mind that Army is joining football only.

Air Force would likely have an option of the Missouri Valley conference to park its Olympic sports if it chose to join the American for football. Air Force will be Big 12 in wrestling regardless of any moves. I don’t think AF will leave the MWC, but its Olympics are probably a better competitive fit in the Missouri Valley.