TT Gameday

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I think the actual game has been covered plenty in other threads...but what a night. Easily top 5 games I've witnessed at the War.

Some thoughts on the actual gameday/atmosphere.
The good/great:
  • Tailgaiting was possibly the best I've seen at the War. Late kickoff, great weather (until the rain/lightning), big opponent equaled a jam packed tailgate scene.
  • Fans and students were fantastic. That 17-0 sucked the life out of the stadium in the first quarter, and I'm sure some folks left due to the delay and beat down that seemed inevitable. However, you could just feel the D settle in and the momentum swing and the crowd was there for all of it. It was absolutely nuts in there in the 4th and through OT.
  • Big time win over a Big 12 opponent on (prime time CBS) that was expected to do big things
The not so great:
  • Terrible lines for the bathrooms, beer, concessions, etc. The Athletic Department has to do a better job planning this in the future for big games
  • 3-4 days before kickoff, it was obvious that it wasn't going to sellout. I've heard since June from Burman that this was going to be a sellout game...why didn't him and his department do anymore promotion beyond the stripe out? Once you saw 4,000+ tickets still available the week of the game, why wouldn't start promoting the hell out of the game? It's easy to poke fun at the Sheep and SUDS for their terrible attendance, but not selling out this game is inexcusable to me.
  • Same ole, same ole gameday experience. It's not completely terrible, it's just not creative and hasn't changed in 10 years or so. Too many in-game ads, not enough of the band, same intro with Bon Jovi. I think it's time to mix it up and get a little more creative.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

There was little to no effort to keep the fans informed or entertained while the game was delayed. At least tell everyone why the game was delayed and what is expectation as to kickoff.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Sellouts

I mean...I'm not going to nitpick too much at falling literally 9% short of a sellout against a team that wasn't ranked (at least not in the AP).

For context, there's literally only been like 11 sellouts in the entire history of the stadium. It's notoriously difficult to sell out the War.

And considering how many attendance records we've set over the last few years, I'm not gonna burn Burman at the stake. Lol.

There's always room for improvement, but they've done lots of new things over the last few years and it's improved attendance considerably. I'm okay with where we're at.

Edit: As for informing fans of the reason for the delay and expected kickoff times....not only was it shown on the board, but literally anyone with a phone knew. It's 2023.

Just feels like you're looking for things to pick at.
Last edited by DamThatRiver22 on Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

doreno5 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:27 pm There was little to no effort to keep the fans informed or entertained while the game was delayed. At least tell everyone why the game was delayed and what is expectation as to kickoff.
The large screen stated the game was in a lightening delay.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

PokeNer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:18 pm I think the actual game has been covered plenty in other threads...but what a night. Easily top 5 games I've witnessed at the War.

Some thoughts on the actual gameday/atmosphere.
The good/great:
  • Tailgaiting was possibly the best I've seen at the War. Late kickoff, great weather (until the rain/lightning), big opponent equaled a jam packed tailgate scene.
  • Fans and students were fantastic. That 17-0 sucked the life out of the stadium in the first quarter, and I'm sure some folks left due to the delay and beat down that seemed inevitable. However, you could just feel the D settle in and the momentum swing and the crowd was there for all of it. It was absolutely nuts in there in the 4th and through OT.
  • Big time win over a Big 12 opponent on (prime time CBS) that was expected to do big things
The not so great:
  • Terrible lines for the bathrooms, beer, concessions, etc. The Athletic Department has to do a better job planning this in the future for big games
  • 3-4 days before kickoff, it was obvious that it wasn't going to sellout. I've heard since June from Burman that this was going to be a sellout game...why didn't him and his department do anymore promotion beyond the stripe out? Once you saw 4,000+ tickets still available the week of the game, why wouldn't start promoting the hell out of the game? It's easy to poke fun at the Sheep and SUDS for their terrible attendance, but not selling out this game is inexcusable to me.
  • Same ole, same ole gameday experience. It's not completely terrible, it's just not creative and hasn't changed in 10 years or so. Too many in-game ads, not enough of the band, same intro with Bon Jovi. I think it's time to mix it up and get a little more creative.
I hope they never get rid of Bon-Jovi for the team entrance!!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:29 pm
doreno5 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:27 pm There was little to no effort to keep the fans informed or entertained while the game was delayed. At least tell everyone why the game was delayed and what is expectation as to kickoff.
I did not see any announcement until after the original time for kickoff. I arrived at least 40 minutes before based on the countdown clock which was working.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Let the damn band play. PLEASE!! Enough of the dumb music. I want a collegiate atmosphere. And let the band at halftime face the east. That's where the season ticket holders are.

And get the damn W-Y-O cheer right (and do it during game play. ... maybe during one of the 10,000 TV timeouts where we're all just sitting there listening to Lizzo). It's one side of the stadium THEN the other. A call and response type of cheer. How do they f-word that up so often. Super annoying.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:28 pm Re: Sellouts

I mean...I'm not going to nitpick too much at falling literally 9% short of a sellout against a team that wasn't ranked (at least not in the AP).

For context, there's literally only been like 11 sellouts in the entire history of the stadium. It's notoriously difficult to sell out the War.

And considering how many attendance records we've set over the last few years, I'm not gonna burn Burman at the stake. Lol.

There's always room for improvement, but they've done lots of new things over the last few years and it's improved attendance considerably. I'm okay with where we're at.

Edit: As for informing fans of the reason for the delay and expected kickoff times....not only was it shown on the board, but literally anyone with a phone knew. It's 2023.

True about sellouts. It was Labor Day weekend, which makes it tough! I thought the crowd was fantastic. I mean TT is a decent program, but not a marquee team by any means.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:12 pm
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:28 pm Re: Sellouts

True about sellouts. It was Labor Day weekend, which makes it tough! I thought the crowd was fantastic. I mean TT is a decent program, but not a marquee team by any means.
I hear ya about sellouts, but maybe don't go all over the state proclaiming it's going to be a sellout back in June (heard it directly from him while he spoke in Hulett), and maybe promote a little? I don't get local Wyoming television channels (maybe there was commercials or promotions on there), but I didn't really see anything on social media until the last few weeks regarding the stripe out.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:29 pm
True, but then they took it down and posted 40:00 on the board, which didn't start ticking down for a very long time. Once they took down the lightening delay information after the rain had stopped, I think they could have made an announcement to tell us when the game would begin. They ultimately did, but it took them almost an hour to do so...or so it seemed.

I did think that Nokes' replacement did a very nice job. It was fun to have some energy from the PA announcer.