Fire Bohl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Yea, I'm aware of that, but at the same time his extensions have already come by this time in the season. Just something else to ponder, added to his general demeanor and the fact that we know retirement is near anyway.

You bring up another side to this that I was about to add, though. Even if he does get extended, albeit late...I don't feel very good about this next class. Recruits aren't generally stupid or completely out of the loop. They know that one way or another, his time here is almost done.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:03 pm Yea, I'm aware of that, but at the same time his extensions have already come by this time in the season. Just something else to ponder, added to his general demeanor and the fact that we know retirement is near anyway.

You bring up another side to this that I was about to add, though. Even if he does get extended, albeit late...I don't feel very good about this next class. Recruits aren't generally stupid or completely out of the loop. They know that one way or another, his time here is almost done.
Agree on recruiting. Not that we've ever been that great recruiting relative to even the mountain West peers but I would expect this year to be extra difficult, unless we have a brand new coach that brings some excitement back
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:03 pm Yea, I'm aware of that, but at the same time his extensions have already come by this time in the season. Just something else to ponder, added to his general demeanor and the fact that we know retirement is near anyway.

I'm curious as to why this seems to be the prevailing opinion. Bohl is only 65. There are several D1 coaches older than he is. I don't know the state of his health but he seems ok. Not that I'm advocating that he gets extended. But I could see it happening.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:26 pm

I'm curious as to why this seems to be the prevailing opinion. Bohl is only 65. There are several D1 coaches older than he is. I don't know the state of his health but he seems ok. Not that I'm advocating that he gets extended. But I could see it happening.
I not only think it could happen, I think it is likely to happen. I don’t think Burman has the guts or gumption to let him go. He is the coaching embodiment of Tom. And he reflects the state. Faux tough, cowboy veneer, no interest in risk, and happy to be fair to ok most days.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Bohl’s not going anywhere
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:27 pm Bohl’s not going anywhere
This is correct. Too many people love their trip to Boise or Tucson to get wined and dined, watch a 7-5 team, and won’t believe WY can be more.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LawPoke wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:30 pm
This is correct. Too many people love their trip to Boise or Tucson to get wined and dined, watch a 7-5 team, and won’t believe WY can be more.
Despite mountains of evidence to the contrary...... Oh wait...nvm
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Stuck in neutral…sounds familiar.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... in-neutral
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Wyoming Athletics used to "pride" themselves on "doing more with less". Well, that was actually more like "doing less with less"...and now, I feel it is truly "doing less with more" when compared to our conference mates. Better facilities, highest paid coach, worst AD decisions in the last 15 years of any AD in the country...

At what point is a complete rebuild from the top down due??????
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Well since there is no evidence, let's not even try. Let's just give up and say bohl can coach the next 50 years and make sure he continues to be one of the top two coaches paid in the league, as long as he gets between 4 and 7 wins every year and one road win every 3 years, that's as good as we can hope for. No reason to even try another coach, there is no way someone could possibly win more than one road game every 3 years
307bball
WyoNation Addict

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:09 am
307bball wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Well since there is no evidence, let's not even try. Let's just give up and say bohl can coach the next 50 years and make sure he continues to be one of the top two coaches paid in the league, as long as he gets between 4 and 7 wins every year and one road win every 3 years, that's as good as we can hope for. No reason to even try another coach, there is no way someone could possibly win more than one road game every 3 years
My :twocents: ...I say go for it...We've experienced mediocre to bad results for over a quarter century...lets change the coach and get somebody new in there to be mediocre to bad. And the bonus is there is always the small (and getting smaller) chance that the problem of mediocrity at best in Wyoming athletics is due, in the main, to having bad coaches at the helm.

The idea that Wyoming is some sleeping giant...a hotbed of football resources just waiting for some good coach to come in and take it to the heights it deserves is laughable.

Again..I say...hire and fire...keep a quick trigger. Keeping coaches too long should not be an error we make. Unfortunately my confidence that we are just the "right guy" away is dead and buried.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Extend Bohl (lower salary if he'll do it) and cut football budget. I think he can have similar success with a fraction of the budget.

Pour money into men's and women's bball and maybe wrestling. It's time. Quit chasing the football carrot we'll never catch anyway. Football is my favorite sport, but decades of mediocrity or worse are telling.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:06 am Extend Bohl (lower salary if he'll do it) and cut football budget. I think he can have similar success with a fraction of the budget.

Pour money into men's and women's bball and maybe wrestling. It's time. Quit chasing the football carrot we'll never catch anyway. Football is my favorite sport, but decades of mediocrity or worse are telling.
Nah. What do we expect out of football? I expect a conference championship every decade, and to be in the CCG once every five years and to make a bowl game every year. Nothing crazy. We are ALMOST there. If we didn't have a coach that runs a 1940s offense and kicks 55 yard field goals on 4th and 1 we could do it.

Football pays the bills. Need to invest in it to have an athletic program at all.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:31 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:06 am Extend Bohl (lower salary if he'll do it) and cut football budget. I think he can have similar success with a fraction of the budget.

Nah. What do we expect out of football? I expect a conference championship every decade, and to be in the CCG once every five years and to make a bowl game every year. Nothing crazy. We are ALMOST there. If we didn't have a coach that runs a 1940s offense and kicks 55 yard field goals on 4th and 1 we could do it.

Football pays the bills. Need to invest in it to have an athletic program at all.
It definitely pays the bills .... Depending on the attendance at the final home game, we could possibly average 24,000 fans/game .... that's not too shabby for Wyoming football. If I'm not mistaken, the record for average attendances at Wyoming is just over 25,000.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

307bball wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:53 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:31 am

It definitely pays the bills .... Depending on the attendance at the final home game, we could possibly average 24,000 fans/game .... that's not too shabby for Wyoming football. If I'm not mistaken, the record for average attendances at Wyoming is just over 25,000.
Exactly. Bohl can keep it paying the bills but he doesn't need as much to do it.

I love UW football but if you can sacrifice a little of the football budget to boost bball, I say go for it.

I hate to be a defeatist but since the start of the BCS, it's been the same damn result. A quarter of a century!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:27 am
307bball wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:53 am

Exactly. Bohl can keep it paying the bills but he doesn't need as much to do it.

I love UW football but if you can sacrifice a little of the football budget to boost bball, I say go for it.

I hate to be a defeatist but since the start of the BCS, it's been the same damn result. A quarter of a century!
I too hate to be a defeatist about it...but I'm really not seeing a way that this program gets to the level of a top quarter MWC team for any three year stretch.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner here, cuz 7-5 is what we want and expect at little ol' W.Y.O.!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Not to saw sawdust, but Einstein was right, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." We have done the same thing for 10 years. We go .500 or a little over most years. We play incredibly boring football that allows us to go to Tater and Barstool Bowls. It will not bring us a conference title. It will not take us to the NY6. If that is good enough for you, extend Bohl. If it isn't, make a change.

NIL will never be a huge driver at UW - it is counter (nay, the antithesis) to how we see college sports. The porthole will give and it will take away. All in all, those external factors will be a wash.

Bohl and Burman can no longer say Wyoming has not invested to make them competitive - as was the historic excuse. Our coaches are well compensated (even the useless ones like Mike Grant) and our facilities (with the exception of the lipstick glad pig that is the War) are top of conference quality.

We are, to quote the A&M AD, stuck in neutral. Your move, Tom.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:48 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:31 am
Regardless, there's obviously zero chance he gets extended at least, so there's that. Burman's not that stupid, I honestly don't think Bohl even wants to coach beyond 2024, and an announcement would have already come by now (it usually gets done midseason).
I Don't know about zero chance. Most programs don't keep "lame duck coaches" which are coaches in a final year of their contract, because it is a killer on any recruiting and transfer portal as all the players generally know that the coach is then gone after that year and usually don't want to commit to a coach that is only there for one year that might be their redshirt year.

So in most programs you would either have to get rid of Bohl this year or give him some sort of extension. I certainly hope we don't give him an extension, but I think it's much greater than a 0% chance that that could happen
Agree with this.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Never. Basketball becomes more unwatchable every year. I loved it in the days of Brandenburg and even McClain. But there are way too many timeouts, free throws, fouls, whatever. I would rather be mediocre at football than great at wrestling or women's basketball. We were the primetime game on Fox and CBS this year. The publicity football brings to the school is massive. Let's not give up. We're not that far away.