OSU and WSU open a crack in the MWC door...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

This would basically result in five non-conference games for MWC teams in 2024.

I hope the MWC tries to include direct compensation from WSU or OSU for MWC teams that are forced to go play them on the road.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

IF, there are no contract stipulations to prevent the pac2 from inviting select MWC teams, then the MWC may have cracked the door to their deathbed.

If there are contract stipulations to prevent raiding of the MWC by the pac2, then not a bad deal. I hope we get 1 of them in the War!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

There are contract stipulations to prevent raiding the conference and from what I've read, OSU and WSU won't really have the $$ to try to force it.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Don't know why we'd help them survive unless there's some kind of long term agreement. Keep them alive long enough to poach 6 schools with no exit fees sounds dumb.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

sandiegopoke wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:07 pm There are contract stipulations to prevent raiding the conference and from what I've read, OSU and WSU won't really have the $$ to try to force it.
I read that floated around prior to the announcement of this agreement. Did you find something that said the scheduling agreement contained a "no poach" stipulation for sure?

Not doubting you; I just hadn't seen it yet.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:19 am
sandiegopoke wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:07 pm There are contract stipulations to prevent raiding the conference and from what I've read, OSU and WSU won't really have the $$ to try to force it.
I read that floated around prior to the announcement of this agreement. Did you find something that said the scheduling agreement contained a "no poach" stipulation for sure?

I doubt you would see a pure "no poach" restraint in a contract. Such a provision is likely unenforceable. But you might see a liquidated damages clause requiring the PAC to shell out money to the MWC if it were to poach schools.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:39 am

I doubt you would see a pure "no poach" restraint in a contract. Such a provision is likely unenforceable. But you might see a liquidated damages clause requiring the PAC to shell out money to the MWC if it were to poach schools.
It'll be interesting to see if anything made it in. Not saying it didn't just that I'd like to see the terms of the agreement.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

Whether the Pac 2 want to "poach" MWC schools, or one conference merges into the other will be pretty much 100% dictated by media contracts.

And the MWC contract is up in 2026, I believe. PAC doesn't even have one.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:02 am Whether the Pac 2 want to "poach" MWC schools, or one conference merges into the other will be pretty much 100% dictated by media contracts.

No doubt but I wonder if there is addition by subtraction?

I could see a scenario where a pac 9 (or whatever) is less total money but more per school than a pack 14 (or whatever).

The key, I think is more the playoff negotiation the next round. Do they close the door completely on non-P4? Also if either MWC and/or pac tv deal is relatively miniscule, I would guess regionalism for other sports creeps up the priority list.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand

The story makes no mention of the actual agreement, just "a source says." It was announced as part of the ground rules, and it wasn't explicitly called out as removed.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:43 am
Lost Poke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:02 am Whether the Pac 2 want to "poach" MWC schools, or one conference merges into the other will be pretty much 100% dictated by media contracts.

I could see a scenario where a pac 9 (or whatever) is less total money but more per school than a pack 14 (or whatever).

The key, I think is more the playoff negotiation the next round. Do they close the door completely on non-P4? Also if either MWC and/or pac tv deal is relatively miniscule, I would guess regionalism for other sports creeps up the priority list.
Whatever comes out of this, the conference will not be part of the P5 talk. It's now P4. PAC/MW access to playoff will be just like every other non P4 conference.
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:54 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:43 am

Whatever comes out of this, the conference will not be part of the P5 talk. It's now P4. PAC/MW access to playoff will be just like every other non P4 conference.
In my opinion sooner than might be expected there will only be 2 super-power conferences SEC and Big 10 broken into 2 conferences each. many of the so-called P5 teams now will be winnowed out as those form.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:54 am PAC/MW access to playoff will be just like every other non P4 conference.
Agreed. I'm thinking it'll be no access. I predict the next round of playoff negotiations will not go well for the current g5(or 6).

The question is: what will be the impact to the g5/6? It's conceivable that the TV money focuses entirely on the top division and dries up completely for the g5/6.

I'm betting major changes are coming.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:22 am
laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:54 am

In my opinion sooner than might be expected there will only be 2 super-power conferences SEC and Big 10 broken into 2 conferences each. many of the so-called P5 teams now will be winnowed out as those form.
I agree with this. The super players will not want to share and at this point, I wish they'd get together soon and form some kind of new league with 32-36 teams. More fat will be trimmed and the others can come back and play. It should mostly be SEC and Big 10 but they'll add florida st. They've already been crying. SEC will kick vandy out. Big 10 might even trim some teams out to make room for some B12 teams.

In an ideal world, they'd implement the relegation model Mountain West/PAC was kicking around. Start with a 32 Team Champions League with bottom 6 team being relegated to the Normie League and the Top 6 Normies being promoted to Champions League. That would be really fun. I'd imagine this league would almost get NFL money for TV rights. The relegation "bowl" games at the end would be amazing
W-Y, Until I Die!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

TheRealUW wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:30 pm This would basically result in five non-conference games for MWC teams in 2024.

I hope the MWC tries to include direct compensation from WSU or OSU for MWC teams that are forced to go play them on the road.
They have to pay the conference $14 million per season or $28 million total.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

If one of those teams beats up on the rest of the conference, yet can’t play for the championship, it will be a bad look for the MWC.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

phxpoke wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:46 am If one of those teams beats up on the rest of the conference, yet can’t play for the championship, it will be a bad look for the MWC.
Meh, I’m not sure why. They aren’t in the MW conference. By their choice. The end of the article states Barnes wants to rebuild the Pac12. Likely with MW teams.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:29 pm Meh, I’m not sure why. They aren’t in the MW conference. By their choice. The end of the article states Barnes wants to rebuild the Pac12. Likely with MW teams.
Barnes can plan all he wants. They will not have any way to do so as the buyouts remain next year.