Grading Peasley

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

From when he transferred to now, how would you grade Peas as a Wyoming QB? I didn't have that high of expectations this year considering he wasn't that great last year. I will give him a B- maybe a B because he had a decent season. He definitely had some moments and a lot of the 3rd down conversions were because of his running ability. I saw a noticeable improvement in the passing game. If it had been a little more consistent, we really would have had a memorable season. He was a decent QB but one glaring weakness was long ball. We took some shots but just couldn't connect on those deep 1 on 1s. Congrats to Peas on the season.
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

I would give him C+ for performance and a A for effort. I am convinced he was injured for much of the season but Bohl was too stubborn to tell him to sit except against Texas who Bohl knew Wyoming's offensive line would have its hands full.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:26 am I would give him C+ for performance and a A for effort. I am convinced he was injured for much of the season but Bohl was too stubborn to tell him to sit except against Texas who Bohl knew Wyoming's offensive line would have its hands full.
This sounds about right. I think his best quality was his leadership ability. That's important to have at the QB position, and the players all seemed to respect him and be behind him 100%. His athletic skill set was less impressive. He was an above average scrambler/runner, average passer, and below average in reading defenses and moving through his progressions quickly.

Overall, I think he fit the culture that Bohl has established at Wyoming very well. He showed his toughness in multiple games and always faced the media and took the blame when things didn't go well. Those qualities will serve him well in whatever his future holds and I am glad that he was part of the Wyoming football program.
ReecesRiver
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:26 am I would give him C+ for performance and a A for effort. I am convinced he was injured for much of the season but Bohl was too stubborn to tell him to sit except against Texas who Bohl knew Wyoming's offensive line would have its hands full.
I agree with him being injured. Guy is 100% Cowboy tough and we were lucky to have him! I think this was out best QB since Allen. Was refreshing to see the passing game be somewhat functional. I would give his performance a B. Game managment was good for the most part and the complexity of the offense was increased compared to prior years. My one gripe is him taking that sack at AF that resulted in the missed 52 yarder by Hoyland. If that doesn't happen we're in the conference championship game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Leader, tough, character, etc. A
Running B to B+
Passing C-
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Good leader, average to below average passer, average to below average pocket presence, excellent runner. Peasley is super fast and his best play was the scramble for a crap load of yards. I appreciate him and would give him a B- this year. He disappeared in big moments though.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Statistically, he has likely had the best year of any Wyoming QB in Bohl's tenure. He had 20 TD passes and only 5 INT to go along with 7 rushing TDs.

Josh Allen had 28 TDs passing and 8 TDs rushing in 2016 but also 15 INT.

Note: Allen played in the MWC championship game and the bowl game in 2016. Peasley has one more game left.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I can confirm that (with the bowl game to go) Peasley's passer rating this year is the best in Bohl's tenure for any QB with significant playing time.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I just can’t get over he would go three four five drives in a row of three and outs.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

One of the all-time tough guys we've had here.
ImageImageImageImage
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

I’ll always argue that qb’s are held back by Bohls offensive scheme. Yes Bohls. I wasn’t Vigen although everyone blames him. Polasek ran what Bohl allowed this year.

That said, Peasley showed a lot of grit. Games like TT. My concern was accuracy, and imo that improved this year. I think he was a good leader and had the respect of the team. I’ll have fond memories of him.

Leadership A+
Cowboy tough A
Running A, dudes fast
Scrambling, eh
Passing B
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:54 am I can confirm that (with the bowl game to go) Peasley's passer rating this year is the best in Bohl's tenure for any QB with significant playing time.
Not Correct. This would go to Cameron Coffman with 147.42 and 216.8 yds/gm in 9 games. Interestingly, he had 1951 yds passing compared to 1823 for Peas and they both have identical number of attempts so I'd consider this a fair comparison. My site has Peasley at 147.36 and 165.7 yds/gm. Peas is Cam Coffman with a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better D. Interestingly, Coffman had a Josh Allen on the Bench behind him and I'm not saying he is Josh, but Evan comes in and throws a laser for his only pass in one of the final games. We shall see.

Going Back to 2009.

Brett Smith 2012: 157.57
Cam Coffman 2015: 147.42
Peasley 2023: 147.36
Allen 2016: 144.89
Brett Smith 2013: 138.94

Outside of the 2020 covid year, Levi posted a 145 in the 21 season and 137 in the few games in 19'.

Vander Waal was definitely the worst but every other year for all the other qbs including josh's last year and 1 year with Brett Smith was in the 100-130 range ACS level.
Last edited by laxwyo on Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

C+
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:44 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:54 am I can confirm that (with the bowl game to go) Peasley's passer rating this year is the best in Bohl's tenure for any QB with significant playing time.
Not Correct. This would go to Cameron Coffman with 147.42 and 216.8 yds/gm in 9 games. Interestingly, he had 1951 yds passing compared to 1823 for Peas and they both have identical number of attempts so I'd consider this a fair comparison. My sight has Peasley at 147.36 and 165.7 yds/gm. Peas is Cam Coffman with a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better D. Interestingly, Coffman had a Josh Allen on the Bench behind him and I'm not saying he is Josh, but Evan comes in and throws a laser for his only pass in one of the final games. We shall see.

Going Back to 2009.

Brett Smith 2012: 157.57
Cam Coffman 2015: 147.42
Peasley 2023: 147.36
Allen 2016: 144.89
Brett Smith 2013: 138.94

Outside of the 2020 covid year, Levi posted a 145 in the 21 season and 137 in the few games in 19'.

Vander Waal was definitely the worst but every other year for all the other qbs including josh's last year and 1 year with Brett Smith was in the 100-130 range ACS level.
I’ve said it before, but cam Coffman was good. I can sort of see why Bohl put josh behind him.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Peas was basically a much more talented and durable version of Chambers.

Great leader, heart and soul of the team, great runner, less than great (but serviceable) passer, showed out in some key moments, took a physical beating but rarely outright broke. He also turned the ball over less than almost any QB we've had.

Most of you know I was super excited about getting him from USU, and I spent most of my time his first year on here defending him when everyone was screeching for Clemons (lol) and Svoboda.

He ended up mostly living up to my expectations in a system that actively hamstrings QBs.

His biggest weakness was accuracy on the mid/deep ball, and it was glaring...which drags his overall grade down a bit.

I'd give him a B/B+ overall. If he had a slightly better deep ball he'd have been an "A" no question.

I'd still take Josh (obviously) and probably Levi Williams over him, but he's a solid third as far as Bohl-recruited/obtained QBs are concerned. Kinda hard to compare though because they've all had different teams around them and our offense looks different now than it did with other QBs.

Edit: For some reason I always kinda forget about Cam; two very different players and teams so it's hard to say. I'd put Peas and Cam pretty close together. (Not including Brett for purposes of this discussion because he was recruited/developed by DC/Arroyo.)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

1. Josh Allen
2. Cam Coffman
3. Andrew Peasley
4. Healthy Sean Chambers
5. Levi Williams
6. Colby Kirkegaard
7. Jayden Clemons
8. Tyler Vanderwaal