What does December 4th bring…..

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

for Pokes who might enter the portal?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Strangely quiet so far. Ohio State and Oklahoma just lost their respective starting QBs. Given that our bowl game is December 30 and given that the transfer portal is only open for 30 days now, I suspect we will hear of any transfers this week (they really can’t wait until after the bowl game).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Taylen Green (Boise's QB) enters the portal but leaves open the possibility of returning. Basically - - I will come back if you show up with a bag of cash.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:48 pm Taylen Green (Boise's QB) enters the portal but leaves open the possibility of returning. Basically - - I will come back if you show up with a bag of cash.
LOL - what a wonderful process this portal thing is...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Several good quarterbacks already in the portal. Does Bohl chase one or put his eggs in the Svoboda basket? Should be interesting.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:29 pm Several good quarterbacks already in the portal. Does Bohl chase one or put his eggs in the Svoboda basket? Should be interesting.
We don’t have the bags of cash these entrants are seeking.

Svoboda is an athletic talent and prior portal player Carson May will be available too. All the eggs in that basket, hope Svoboda stays healthy and is successful.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:48 pm Taylen Green (Boise's QB) enters the portal but leaves open the possibility of returning. Basically - - I will come back if you show up with a bag of cash.
UNLV's quarterback is gone too.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:20 pm
UNLV's quarterback is gone too.
Ouch! Any young player with any potential is GONE from the MWC. Holy crud
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

The only players I am worried about are Harsh, Harris and Gyllenborg
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:12 pm The only players I am worried about are Harsh, Harris and Gyllenborg
I used to be the same way, worrying who would leave my beloved Pokes. But then, I decided, fvck that, why worry about something that is out of our hands, and clearly out of control. The NCAA has failed on so many fronts, and this is a top, if not the top failure. All NCAA teams are going to have the some attrition, and rosters will likely never look the same from year to year anymore. Deep pocket NIL's will have solid teams, the rest will be a crap shoot. :whistle:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Just noticed that Toledo's QB, Dequan Finn, entered the portal today. He seemed to have pretty good stats. The backup played in most if not all games, but only had 199 yds passing for the year.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:29 pm Several good quarterbacks already in the portal. Does Bohl chase one or put his eggs in the Svoboda basket? Should be interesting.
My hope is that he sticks with Svoboda. I was very impressed with him this season. He made a couple deep out throws in the Texas game that were professional level throws. I think he is going to have a very good year next year…even with our lack of receiver depth and a Bohl offense.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

I think Svoboda is the real deal and can be as good as any QB could possibly be in our system. We've also brought him along and developed him the right way; I was worried that him being forced to start against Texas might stunt him a bit, but he rose to the occasion. I have zero doubt he's capable of starting.

Not sure why you guys want to go chasing QBs when our system and scheme actively hamstring them. Ten years later and y'all still think the QBs are the issue.

Svoboda is fine.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Carson May might challenge as well. He wasn't playing this year so I doubt he had a lot of good reps. He was a 4* out of high school and 13th ranked qb. It'll be interesting to watch.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:22 am I think Svoboda is the real deal and can be as good as any QB could possibly be in our system. We've also brought him along and developed him the right way; I was worried that him being forced to start against Texas might stunt him a bit, but he rose to the occasion. I have zero doubt he's capable of starting.

Not sure why you guys want to go chasing QBs when our system and scheme actively hamstring them. Ten years later and y'all still think the QBs are the issue.

Svoboda is fine.
I know nothing is a done deal yet but let's assume Maiava from UNLV and Green enter the portal and leave thier respective programs. Those two just played for the conference championship...is there a better argument to run a system that can plug and play anybody at QB? Not sure what that system is....even the AFA triple option is reliant on an exceptional guy under center. Maybe that is just the nature of the game and you can't get around that.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:00 am for Pokes who might enter the portal?
As we saw 2 years ago, most of the Pokes will play in the bowl game before they enter the portal. (Neyor, Williams, Valladay, Coldon, Chambers, Hearn, Byrd)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:24 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:00 am for Pokes who might enter the portal?
As we saw 2 years ago, most of the Pokes will play in the bowl game before they enter the portal. (Neyor, Williams, Valladay, Coldon, Chambers, Hearn, Byrd)
No they won't. Our bowl game this year is December 30th (not an early game). The rules have changed this year. The portal closes January 2. Because of the holiday, this literally gives the players 1 day to enter the portal and find a new team if they try to play in the bowl game and then enter the portal.

What they could do is play in the bowl game and then enter the portal in the 15 day April period like Pregnon. But most teams have filled their rosters by then so that is more of a longshot.
Udubalum07
Buckaroo
Been liked: 3 times

I know Bohl has spoken a lot about the freshman that redshirted, Anderson. He even got him in early knowing he wasn't going to participate in the practices last year so he could see a spring football regimen. He has spoken multiple times about wanting to get him ready because he thinks he is really talented.

I think they are going to have Svaboda, May, and Anderson taking quite a few reps with the first team offense in the spring and at least get down to two for the fall.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

307bball wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:05 am I know nothing is a done deal yet but let's assume Maiava from UNLV and Green enter the portal and leave thier respective programs. Those two just played for the conference championship...is there a better argument to run a system that can plug and play anybody at QB? Not sure what that system is....even the AFA triple option is reliant on an exceptional guy under center. Maybe that is just the nature of the game and you can't get around that.
I mean, idk. I just know that our system is QB-unfriendly and there's a limit to how successful they can be, no matter who you try to put in it. JA17 was a prime example of that. So maybe the point is that this (the portal carousel) is yet one more reason why we need to change our offensive philosophy...to one that's more common and easily translatable to other players that we could potentially grab.

Either way, I still think Svoboda is fine.

As far as Greene goes, dude's got freakish athleticism and a great run game, but he makes atrocious decisions, his mechanics are terrible, and can't hit the broad side of a barn. This is something that you'll hear from literally any BSU fan, beat writer, etc. He needs actual QB development, which we have seemingly never been able to provide....even Allen really didn't develop/grow all that much until he left and found other resources/coaches; Josh's play here was almost exclusively raw talent and instinct.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Udubalum07 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:38 am I know Bohl has spoken a lot about the freshman that redshirted, Anderson. He even got him in early knowing he wasn't going to participate in the practices last year so he could see a spring football regimen. He has spoken multiple times about wanting to get him ready because he thinks he is really talented.

I think they are going to have Svaboda, May, and Anderson taking quite a few reps with the first team offense in the spring and at least get down to two for the fall.
My guess is they aren't looking at Anderson very much for next near. It's probably Svboda with May pushing him and/or backup with. Bohl would prefer not to start underclassmen. We get 2 years of Svboda starting and then Anderson would be slated to take over as Jr and Sr years. In reality, I'm not sure if players can last this long anymore. At a time, this is how it would work and I'm sure how bohl would prefer to develop the QBs. Even JA had to sit behind the senior less talented QB. The landscape is too different.
W-Y, Until I Die!