Jay Sawvel named head coach

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

All I want for Christmas is this thread to be deleted and disappear forever. LOL
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:33 pm It’s pretty simple to me. Saying you ‘don’t accept mediocrity’ is absolutely hollow without action. Put your money where your mouth is and throw the money at NIL. But beating a drum saying ‘I don’t accept mediocrity’ while at the same time doing absolutely nothing about it other than complaining it is pretty lame and deserves an eye roll. 🙄

For me - I’ve been consistent. I believe NIL is a fool’s errand and thus my realistic expectations are adjusted accordingly. I have no desire to donate to the direct pockets of college kids so they can buy fancy cars.

BTW - we set aside money to donate every year. We have several charities we support. OneWyo and the other NIL collectives are not and will never be on that list.
I've been donating to Cowboy Joe for 25+ years. I also donate to the UW Foundation, specifically the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I also don't want to put $ into an account for a kid to buy a car, then leave.

I have had SDSU season tickets and end up having to donate to the Aztec Club as well. I also don't give NIL money.

There will be room for regional conferences that are no the B1G or SEC. I wonder if the ACC and Big12 will survive in the long term. Many of the teams in all those conferences will find themselves like Oregon State and Washington State. I feel sorry for their fans disappointment, but, in the long run, I see this as an opportunity to enjoy the sports more, because I only care about Wyoming's success and visibility. I received a far better education that I was aware of at the time and I believe it is a governmental duty to educate the youth to allow them the best opportunities in life, in or out of Wyoming.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Kill stepping down again. Interesting. Health or maybe couldn't handle the terrible facilities and pay anymore? Who knows.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:48 pm Kill stepping down again. Interesting. Health or maybe couldn't handle the terrible facilities and pay anymore? Who knows.
Seems like the type of commitment one would not want with a head coach.

Tony Sanchez elevated.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:11 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:48 pm Kill stepping down again. Interesting. Health or maybe couldn't handle the terrible facilities and pay anymore? Who knows.

Tony Sanchez elevated.
I wish him the best with regards to his health.

Anther dumb internal hire but nmsu is usually bad. All will be right in the football universe.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:11 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:11 pm

Tony Sanchez elevated.

Anther dumb internal hire but nmsu is usually bad. All will be right in the football universe.
I’d say Kill left the team in tough shape. After being destroyed by Fresno and then announcing his departure, a large number of NMSU players have entered the portal in the last few days and including their starting QB.

They are probably a 2-10 team again for sure.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:51 pm

I’d say Kill left the team in tough shape. After being destroyed by Fresno and then announcing his departure, a large number of NMSU players have entered the portal in the last few days and including their starting QB.

They should appreciate what Kill brought to the program. However he probably shouldn't be coaching D1 football with his health issues. The guy can build a program but it's not worth the cost
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:51 pm

I think there's more to the story but it's not WYO. I honestly don't care that much. It's not like Kill would be the only option in a national search.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Doubt it’s Kill. He runs a Dave Christianson offense, which is a 180 from what we have
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:42 am Doubt it’s Kill. He runs a Dave Christianson offense, which is a 180 from what we have
Huh? There’s zero chance Kill comes to Laramie as any type of coordinator. But we just spent 8 pages learning from Ragtime how much better off Wyoming would be if we didn’t hire internally and brought Kill in as HC.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:42 am Doubt it’s Kill. He runs a Dave Christianson offense, which is a 180 from what we have
Huh? There’s zero chance Kill comes to Laramie as any type of coordinator. But we just spent 8 pages learning from Ragtime how much better off Wyoming would be if we didn’t hire internally and brought Kill in as HC.
zero chance, indeed. In fact I think he went to vanderbilt as an analyst, or something.

I would think Sawvel will try to find someone that runs a Pro-style offense
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lmao and you guys keep accusing me of strawman.

I get it. You like the internal hire and the process. I don't.

We'll see next year. Hope you get to roast me.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:27 am

Once again - Wyoming isn’t going to be a top 25 team whether we hire Sawvel or whether we hire Nick Saban.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:01 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:27 am

Once again - Wyoming isn’t going to be a top 25 team whether we hire Sawvel or whether we hire Nick Saban.
Another strawman. I've said repeatedly 5 wins would be debatable. Over 5 wins is probably the intent of the hire. Less than 5 wins and the decision was stupid.

We'll see. This thread will undoubtedly be brought up next year. I hope you guys are right.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:31 am

Another strawman. I've said repeatedly 5 wins would be debatable. Over 5 wins is probably the intent of the hire. Less than 5 wins and the decision was stupid.

We'll see. This thread will undoubtedly be brought up next year. I hope you guys are right.
Next year was going to be tough either way/.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

It's this framing that nobody is agreeing with. I still have not seen any appreciable "pro Sawvell" hiring content posted here. You have cornered the "anti-Sawvell" market though. At most, there is an air of cautious optimism..... Most seen cautiously pessimistic. One of the straw men (there are many) is saying the people who don't necessarily have a problem with the internal hire are "pro" the internal hire. Being neutral towards the hiring of Sawvell, or even noticing that, in some respects, it makes sense, is not the same as liking the internal hire and process.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:32 pm

It's this framing that nobody is agreeing with. I still have not seen any appreciable "pro Sawvell" hiring content posted here. You have cornered the "anti-Sawvell" market though. At most, there is an air of cautious optimism..... Most seen cautiously pessimistic. One of the straw men (there are many) is saying the people who don't necessarily have a problem with the internal hire are "pro" the internal hire. Being neutral towards the hiring of Sawvell, or even noticing that, in some respects, it makes sense, is not the same as liking the internal hire and process.
There's plenty of pro (not you). Less than 5 wins and I'm sure it'll get pointed out. Besides, truly neutral means you see merit in pro and anti stances. However panties are only in a wad over the anti stance.

As to your first line. No. I dint give a poop about other people's views of my opinions. If you're truly neutral, you sure care an awful lot about someone thinking the decision and process was dumb, unfair, cronyism to advance a Bohl and failed to make an effort to take another step forward. No, I don't care if nobody on wyonation agrees or not.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:38 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:32 pm

There's plenty of pro (not you). Less than 5 wins and I'm sure it'll get pointed out. Besides, truly neutral means you see merit in pro and anti stances. However panties are only in a wad over the anti stance.

As to your first line. No. I dint give a poop about other people's views of my opinions. If you're truly neutral, you sure care an awful lot about someone thinking the decision and process was dumb, unfair, cronyism to advance a Bohl and failed to make an effort to take another step forward. No, I don't care if nobody on wyonation agrees or not.
Your continued assertions about what some arbitrary number of wins proves, or does not prove, mean nothing.... Nobody is going along with your frame. Also, claims that there are "plenty" of pro-Sawvell sentiment do not track with the conversations on this forum. Perhaps you are referring to another message board?

It is completely coherent to not have a strong opinion about the Sawvell hiring and disagree that the "process was dumb, unfair, cronyism to advance a Bohl and failed to make an effort to take another step forward. ... As you put it.

It is a mistake to continually bleach the nuance out of this topic.
Last edited by 307bball on Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:30 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Your continued assertions about what some arbitrary number of wins proves or does not prove mean nothing.... Also, claims that there are "plenty" of pro-Sawvell sentiment do not track with the conversations on this forum. Perhaps you are referring to another message board?

It is completely coherent to not have a strong opinion about the Sawvell hiring and disagree that the "process was dumb, unfair, cronyism to advance a Bohl and failed to make an effort to take another step forward. ... As you put it.
We agree to disagree then which is fine.

The rest will be next years problem/discussion and mostly not involving you anyway.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:35 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:30 pm

Your continued assertions about what some arbitrary number of wins proves or does not prove mean nothing.... Also, claims that there are "plenty" of pro-Sawvell sentiment do not track with the conversations on this forum. Perhaps you are referring to another message board?

We agree to disagree then which is fine.

The rest will be next years problem/discussion and mostly not involving you anyway.
I think I have asked before.... And I truly do not ask this as some sort of trap... What are the specifics of the disagreement?

I think we have a fundamental disagreement on what ultimately limits the success of cowboy football... Is that what you are talking about? If so, how does that relate to this discussion?