Sawvel's Staff

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:42 pm I hope the offense is looked at. That we open it up a little bit.

I have little doubt the offense will look different. The offense under Bohl was what Bohl wanted. Vigen got blamed for running what he was required to run under Bohl.
Udubalum07
Buckaroo
Been liked: 3 times

I guess I might be in the minority here, but i wouldn't mind giving Aaron Bohl a shot if they think he is ready for it. Sawvell would know him really well from the last 4 years.

He has been excellent with developing linebackers, and I don't think Sawvel would give him that job unless he is ready. Don't forget if he fails that would be Sawvel's head on the chopping block as well.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Udubalum07 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:13 am I guess I might be in the minority here, but i wouldn't mind giving Aaron Bohl a shot if they think he is ready for it. Sawvell would know him really well from the last 4 years.

He has been excellent with developing linebackers, and I don't think Sawvel would give him that job unless he is ready. Don't forget if he fails that would be Sawvel's head on the chopping block as well.
This is my personal belief as to why Bohl may have retired this year (and others seem to share that belief). His retirement perhaps gives Aaron Bohl an advancement opportunity.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Guess we'll see what Sawvel's style is right out of the gate with his DC and OC picks. I think it's much more likely Bohl or Giles get the DC nod now that he has to replace the OC. I pray that Grant gets the boot and isn't given a look at OC...
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

My money is on Bohl as DC and Gordie as OC
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

poke_addict wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:40 pm My money is on Bohl as DC and Gordie as OC
Those would be extremely underwhelming hires. My guess is that we go outside for both the OC and DC.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:40 pm My money is on Bohl as DC and Gordie as OC
Bohl at DC is not out of the realm of possibility, but I'm pretty sure we'll be looking outside for OC. Wouldn't surprise me to look outside for DC, too.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Wonder if Polasek will be bringing any of his offensive coaches with him to NDSU? If so it will be a real sign that Sawvel is bringing in an outside OC.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:16 am
Bohl at DC is not out of the realm of possibility, but I'm pretty sure we'll be looking outside for OC. Wouldn't surprise me to look outside for DC, too.
I think Giles is more likely to get promoted to DC than Bohl. Sawvel brought him in when he got hired as DC .
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

I did like the first OC candidate that Brad and Chad talked about. The one with n Illinois ties
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Looking like Grant isn't going anywhere

LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:39 am Looking like Grant isn't going anywhere

Grant is terrible. He couldn't develop a cold in a room full of pre-schoolers.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:59 am
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:39 am Looking like Grant isn't going anywhere

Or maybe it was just the offense. A decade of dysfunctional passing (sans a generational qb) indicates there might be other problems.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

I really hope Sawvel and his new OC are still evaluating and that some more staff changes are coming. If not, I hate the idea of basically keeping the same staff and only changing the nameplates on the 3 biggest jobs.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:06 am
LawPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:59 am

Or maybe it was just the offense. A decade of dysfunctional passing (sans a generational qb) indicates there might be other problems.
Im in this camp. I’m hopeful a lot had to do with the offense Bohl wanted. How attractive is it to say to a wr recruit, you’ll block 90% of the game and we’ll throw a few passes, maybe one or two to you. Not very attractive for a wr. I’m hoping we’ll see a balanced O. We’ve had some pretty decent receivers of late, really good tight ends, but you can’t blame the receiving corps if the ball just isn’t being thrown in a run dominated offense. Maybe the wrong coaches are being blamed. I’m excited for a new offensive scheme. I’ll withhold judgement until next fall.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:09 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:06 am

Im in this camp. I’m hopeful a lot had to do with the offense Bohl wanted. How attractive is it to say to a wr recruit, you’ll block 90% of the game and we’ll throw a few passes, maybe one or two to you. Not very attractive for a wr. I’m hoping we’ll see a balanced O. We’ve had some pretty decent receivers of late, really good tight ends, but you can’t blame the receiving corps if the ball just isn’t being thrown in a run dominated offense. Maybe the wrong coaches are being blamed. I’m excited for a new offensive scheme. I’ll withhold judgement until next fall.
All I have is actual experience watching our WRs in games. They couldn't get open and struggled to catch the ball when they did. They weren't great at run blocking - as most of our RB's yards came after contact. Completion percentage has been abysmal for many years, which is a stat to be shared by the OL, QB and WR, but involves a ton of drops and throw aways when our receivers couldn't get separation. They were generally slow. Other than that, I think Grant does a bang up job.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:14 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:09 pm

All I have is actual experience watching our WRs in games. They couldn't get open and struggled to catch the ball when they did. They weren't great at run blocking - as most of our RB's yards came after contact. Completion percentage has been abysmal for many years, which is a stat to be shared by the OL, QB and WR, but involves a ton of drops and throw aways when our receivers couldn't get separation. They were generally slow. Other than that, I think Grant does a bang up job.
Generally our receiver play has not been very good during Grant’s time in my eyes either. But under Grant, Neyor and Asante both seemed to progress well I thought. Asante certainly had proven himself before he arrived but I did see improvement and confidence as the year went along. Next year will be very telling. I personally believe we lack the tall/athletic possession type receiver who we can throw the fade to in the corner of the end zone (a Neyor type). If we want to stretch the defense and take advantage of Svoboda’s physical gifts, we need to figure this out. Right now, I’m projecting Gyllenborg to lead the team in catches and yards.

But you’re wrong on completion percentage this year, it was actually pretty decent.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:32 pm
LawPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:14 pm

Generally our receiver play has not been very good during Grant’s time in my eyes either. But under Grant, Neyor and Asante both seemed to progress well I thought. Asante certainly had proven himself before he arrived but I did see improvement and confidence as the year went along. Next year will be very telling. I personally believe we lack the tall/athletic possession type receiver who we can throw the fade to in the corner of the end zone (a Neyor type). If we want to stretch the defense and take advantage of Svoboda’s physical gifts, we need to figure this out. Right now, I’m projecting Gyllenborg to lead the team in catches and yards.

But you’re wrong on completion percentage this year, it was actually pretty decent.
Peasley ranked 53 out of 106. So, this year was “meh” - not abysmal. Most every other year we have been abysmal. Grant still stinks.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:01 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:32 pm

Peasley ranked 53 out of 106. So, this year was “meh” - not abysmal. Most every other year we have been abysmal. Grant still stinks.
Wyoming was 52 out of 130 FBS teams in passing efficiency. From where we were, this was leaps and bounds better.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Are Giles and Grant our only connection to TX recruits?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.