UW Block Grant Budget Amendment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:56 pm University faculty went from something like 75% democrat to 99% and dudes are here arguing that they’re bastions of free thought and expression :lol:
Citation for this purported statistic?

While certainly not true, I fail to see the relevance unless you start with the belief that college students are incapable of forming their own beliefs.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

In my mind, if the legislature wanted to do something helpful - it would pass legislation leading to penalties/reduction of funds if the University were to violate free speech standards.

There was a professed Christian gentleman who was kicked out of the union because folks disagreed with his beliefs. It took the federal district court to point out that the University should have no business dictating what type of speech they personally desired and the gentleman was free to promote such speech. Had he not had the money to take it to court (which few have), there would have been no check on the University promoting its preferred speech.

https://www.wyomingpublicmedia.org/news ... against-uw
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

What percentage of UW's budget comes from the State and how does that compare with peers?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

https://www.kpcnews.com/opinions/articl ... 24e27.html

There was literally so many articles, it was difficult to choose. Article states it was only 4:1 not that long ago and now it’s only 17:1. And if something is wrong with that source, there’s tons more:

You need to pay attention more. Using words like “certainly” when you are far from certain is a really bad look.

Imagine thinking college students can form their own beliefs when they’re a captured audience and only exposed to one viewpoint over and over. I certainly see my daughter change her opinion when other evidence is presented. That’s not happening on campus. You’re naive to believe so.

I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to free speech legislation for the university but much like a scotus decision, the law isn’t worth the paper it’s written on if there’s not much of an enforcement mechanism.

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:56 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:56 pm University faculty went from something like 75% democrat to 99% and dudes are here arguing that they’re bastions of free thought and expression :lol:

While certainly not true, I fail to see the relevance unless you start with the belief that college students are incapable of forming their own beliefs.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:50 pm https://www.kpcnews.com/opinions/articl ... 24e27.html

There was literally so many articles, it was difficult to choose. Article states it was only 4:1 not that long ago and now it’s only 17:1. And if something is wrong with that source, there’s tons more:

You need to pay attention more. Using words like “certainly” when you are far from certain is a really bad look.

Imagine thinking college students can form their own beliefs when they’re a captured audience and only exposed to one viewpoint over and over. I certainly see my daughter change her opinion when other evidence is presented. That’s not happening on campus. You’re naive to believe so.

I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to free speech legislation for the university but much like a scotus decision, the law isn’t worth the paper it’s written on if there’s not much of an enforcement mechanism.

No, I am very comfortable stating that ‘99% of faculty are democrats’ is certainly not true. It would be a statistical impossibility.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Hmmm, now why would conservatives have less confidence in higher education than liberals (or R vs D)? Why would that be? Naw, it couldn’t be that professors are leaning to the left more and more each year. NO! That can’t be happening. Actually has everything to do with it. And why wouldn’t UW follow the national trend? Could it be a factor in college admissions declining. Naw, couldn’t. Everyone wants to have a liberal college professor lecture them on things such as how men can identify as a woman and get pregnant.

From the article,
A 2018 Pew Research Center survey took a deeper dive into the reasons for these shifting views. The survey first asked whether the higher education system in the U.S. is generally going in the right or wrong direction. A majority of Americans (61%) say it’s going in the wrong direction. Republicans and Republican leaners are significantly more likely to express this view than Democrats and Democratic leaners (73% vs. 52%).

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-tren ... ucation-2/
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

9 to 1, not using common core or liberal logic, that seems to equate to 90%. Factoring in those that didn’t want to identify as a liberal (I’ve found many aren’t proud to admit it publicly).

Not far off.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/democrati ... -new-data/
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:04 am

9 to 1, not using common core or liberal logic, that seems to equate to 90%. Factoring in those that didn’t want to identify as a liberal (I’ve found many aren’t proud to admit it publicly).

Not far off.

It doesn’t equate to 90% because that finding makes an incorrect presumption that every professor is either a Republican or Democrat (and nothing else). This is the same narrative that the media likes to spin for ratings (you are either this or that and there is no room for compromise or a sliding scale of views).

Your article points out that the research (I didn’t check the source) shows among professors:
48.4 percent registered democrats
5.7 percent registered republicans

This only accounts for 54 percent. The other 46 percent likely fall in a wide spectrum of beliefs. There are some that are so far left that they couldn’t be considered democrats or even representative of basic accepted American ideals generally. And there are some that are so far gone that they could be the second coming of hitler if given the chance.

But, for the remaining 30-40 percent, a spectrum of more moderate views may exist. Does this remaining percentage overall lean more to the left than the population in general, yes likely from a statistical point of view. But there’s bound to be a portion of this group that would be considered generally conservative.

But the point is - there is certainly a mix of views in higher education. But ultimately it shouldn’t matter because college students are capable of independent thought and free speech rights should always provide a forum for differing views to be presented.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:29 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:04 am

Not far off.

It doesn’t equate to 90% because that finding makes an incorrect presumption that every professor is either a Republican or Democrat (and nothing else). This is the same narrative that the media likes to spin for ratings (you are either this or that and there is no room for compromise or a sliding scale of views).

Your article points out that the research (I didn’t check the source) shows among professors:

This only accounts for 54 percent. The other 46 percent likely fall in a wide spectrum of beliefs. There are some that are so far left that they couldn’t be considered democrats or even representative of basic accepted American ideals generally. And there are some that are so far gone that they could be the second coming of hitler if given the chance.

But, for the remaining 30-40 percent, a spectrum of more moderate views may exist. Does this remaining percentage overall lean more to the left than the population in general, yes likely from a statistical point of view. But there’s bound to be a portion of this group that would be considered generally conservative.

But the point is - there is certainly a mix of views in higher education. But ultimately it shouldn’t matter because college students are capable of independent thought and free speech rights should always provide a forum for differing views to be presented.
I didn’t see an incorrect assumption. They conducted a study and it was 90%. You added the assumption.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:35 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:29 pm

I didn’t see an incorrect assumption. They conducted a study and it was 90%. You added the assumption.
No. This study does not state nor purport to state that 90% of faculty members are democrats.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:17 pm

No. This study does not state nor purport to state that 90% of faculty members are democrats.
Hmmm, very odd. Are you using common core math?

The article states; Democrats outnumber Republicans by a ratio of nearly 9 to 1 among college professors, according to new statistics published by Brooklyn College Associate Professor of Business Management Mitchell Langbert and Heterodox Academy Director of Research Sean Stevens.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:39 pm

The article states; Democrats outnumber Republicans by a ratio of nearly 9 to 1 among college professors, according to new statistics published by Brooklyn College Associate Professor of Business Management Mitchell Langbert and Heterodox Academy Director of Research Sean Stevens.
While not a Wyoming undergraduate education, I am using statistical math I learned way back at the little old Colorado School of Mines. The words ‘common core’ never appeared in my education that included 3 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of statistics, 2 semesters of differential equations, 1 semester of laplace and Fourier transforms, and 1 god awful semester of trying to understand partial differential equations and the Schrödinger equation.

You are looking at a ratio of 9:1. It is a comparison of 2 things (registered republicans amongst polledfaculty members to registered democrats amongst polled faculty members). In order for the ratio comparison to correlate to a percentage of the whole (ie 90%), the entire sample would have needed to have been either registered democrats or registered republicans. This we know this isn’t the case because only 54.1% of the polled sample was either a registered republican or a registered democrat. To extend an assumption pass the 54.1%, you would have to presume the remaining 45.9% has to be either a democrat or republican (which we know not to be true becuase there are many neithers).

Hopefully the explanation is helpful. In all honesty, statistics was my favorite class in undergraduate.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:29 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:39 pm

While not a Wyoming undergraduate education, I am using statistical math I learned way back at the little old Colorado School of Mines. The words ‘common core’ never appeared in my education that included 3 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of statistics, 2 semesters of differential equations, 1 semester of laplace and Fourier transforms, and 1 god awful semester of trying to understand partial differential equations and the Schrödinger equation.

You are looking at a ratio of 9:1. It is a comparison of 2 things (registered republicans amongst polledfaculty members to registered democrats amongst polled faculty members). In order for the ratio comparison to correlate to a percentage of the whole (ie 90%), the entire sample would have needed to have been either registered democrats or registered republicans. This we know this isn’t the case because only 54.1% of the polled sample was either a registered republican or a registered democrat. To extend an assumption pass the 54.1%, you would have to presume the remaining 45.9% has to be either a democrat or republican (which we know not to be true becuase there are many neithers).

Hopefully the explanation is helpful. In all honesty, statistics was my favorite class in undergraduate.
Good ole statistics. Add enough assumptions, a lil here a lil there and voila - "YOU CAN MAKE THE DATA SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT IT TO."

You don’t like the data. I get it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:05 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:29 pm

Good ole statistics. Add enough assumptions, a lil here a lil there and voila - "YOU CAN MAKE THE DATA SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT IT TO."

You don’t like the data. I get it.
No. Math is great. It is either objectively right or wrong.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

The other 46% are actually worse than democrats and openly commie or left of democrats. democrats are still just corporate "friendly ladies" like most republicans.

Theres not some wide swath of professors claiming to be neither republican or democrat that are just libertarians lol. If they’re not Republican or democrat 45.9% of them are commies. .1% could be a libertarian type. There’s probably some closeted republicans and libertarians but the notion of hiding doesn’t help the argument about the state of universities.
W-Y, Until I Die!
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

Plenty of passion here. Unfortunately, education of topics that are uncomfortable to people resistant to change will always be perceived as "liberal." That word has is roots in liberalism: "A political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

sandiegopoke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:57 am Plenty of passion here. Unfortunately, education of topics that are uncomfortable to people resistant to change will always be perceived as "liberal." That word has is roots in liberalism: "A political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority."
I don’t use that word. People mean leftist when the say liberal. And yeah, unfortunately 9 out of 10 is a 9:1 ratio which is 88.9 %, but yes, basically 90%
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Interesting article on the $$ universities are wasting on DEI. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. What’s gained by this. More division. As the nation goes so will UW. The day anything at UW is spending money on this nonsense is too soon. Probably spending it now.

https://redstate.com/wardclark/2024/03/ ... Hvl6htUfsE
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Flip the conversation. UW receives a greater percentage of its budget from the state than peer institutions (I think). Should WY taxpayers be forced to give UW all that money with no input? Just shut up and give us money. We'll tell you what's good for you. Steep declines in enrollment while spending, what, 440-50k/student/year, maybe indicates there are problems.

Perhaps declining enrollment indicates the university isn't appealing or providing service to WY citizens?

100% speculation but I'm sure there is a "non-university" side to this not necessarily based on far right beliefs.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:21 am Flip the conversation. UW receives a greater percentage of its budget from the state than peer institutions (I think). Should WY taxpayers be forced to give UW all that money with no input? Just shut up and give us money. We'll tell you what's good for you. Steep declines in enrollment while spending, what, 440-50k/student/year, maybe indicates there are problems.

Perhaps declining enrollment indicates the university isn't appealing or providing service to WY citizens?

100% speculation but I'm sure there is a "non-university" side to this not necessarily based on far right beliefs.
Wyoming is facing an enrollment issue no doubt. I don’t see how the legislature’s recent moves do anything to assist with that.

I’d say it’s a misnomer to suggest that Wyoming taxpayers foot a larger portion of the university bill than our peer institutions. The vast majority of State funding for the University comes from mineral revenues on federal and state school lands (royalties and severance taxes). Without compiling the data, I’d say that we are fortunate in Wyoming that a relatively small portion of our personal taxes go to the University.