How do you feel about the QB position

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Seems Svoboda is being crowned as the starter. For me, I'd like there to be a wide open competition. Seems we have some other QBs in the program that are no slouches, namely Carson May and Anderson!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

I am very optimistic about Svoboda. The game he played at Texas made me a believer. He made 2-3 throws in that game that I haven't seen a Wyoming QB in the past two decades make other than Josh Allen. He isn't an elite runner/scrambler, but I was surprised with his scrambling ability against a very fast Texas defense. Many of the Texas fans could not believe he was our back-up.

If we are able to find a good WR or two, I believe Svoboda could have a monster year. I think he has first team all-MWC talent. Admittedly, I do not know a whole lot about the other QB's on the roster. If they can take the job from Svoboda, then I have to believe we would be in very good hands.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Svoboda is as talented as they come. He’s a generational physical talent; crazy we got 2 of those in a decade. I just hope we are able to develop a capable backup because I suspect we run him quite a bit ala Josh Allen.

That said and with Svoboda - we have to take the good with the bad. The 60 yard bombs for a TD along with the likely poor decisions resulting in INTs.

The last time I was this high on the QB position was 2016/2017.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am Seems Svoboda is being crowned as the starter. For me, I'd like there to be a wide open competition. Seems we have some other QBs in the program that are no slouches, namely Carson May and Anderson!
This seems similar to 2016 to me.

Back then - there were folks really high on the recruit Chandler Garrett. Some even wondering if Nick Smith should be given a shot. Clearly neither of those guys were in the same dimension as Josh Allen in terms of physical abilities.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

From Cody's article about practice yesterday: https://7220sports.com/pokes-practice-r ... ing-start/
Evan Svoboda does indeed have a powerful right arm. The 6-foot-5, 245-pound junior put that on display in the short passing game early Tuesday, firing slant passes and out routes. The throw that separates signal callers -- you know, the one from the far hash to the sideline -- appeared effortless. If there was a close second, that honor belonged to Carson May. The former four-star recruit, who initially signed with Iowa out of high school, looked impressive.
I'm high on our QB room this season. I'm high on our offense, too. It will be refreshing to have a coach that believes that throwing the ball isn't some new fangled fad and is actually necessary in modern college football.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

I’m excited about football season.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I think Carson will be pushing hard for starting job.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm I think Carson will be pushing hard for starting job.
Why?

I have to think that if Sawvel believed this after a year of having May in the program then he wouldn’t have named a starter in December.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm I think Carson will be pushing hard for starting job.
Why?

I have to think that if Sawvel believed this after a year of having May in the program then he wouldn’t have named a starter in December.
We'll see.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Love seeing Colo players on the roster, especially when they beat the ewes at Ft Colon and bring home the boot. Luv it I tell ya.

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am Seems Svoboda is being crowned as the starter. For me, I'd like there to be a wide open competition. Seems we have some other QBs in the program that are no slouches, namely Carson May and Anderson!

Back then - there were folks really high on the recruit Chandler Garrett. Some even wondering if Nick Smith should be given a shot. Clearly neither of those guys were in the same dimension as Josh Allen in terms of physical abilities.
I think most of us were all in on JA in 16’ just from what we saw in his short time before the injury in 15. I went back recently to see what we were saying about JA in 15 before he played. I know I remember being blown away by the plays he made in Juco and most people were really high on him. Really similar to Svboda minus jumping over people.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm I hope* Carson will be pushing hard for starting job.
Fixed it for you. We need Carson to be good because we need at least two QBs. I’m curious to see how athletic Carson is. Can he move out of the pocket and make throws? They didn’t let Evan throw much but I know he made at least 2-3 amazing throws last year. Cant recall if they were from pocket or not.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

I think most of us were all in on JA in 16’ just from what we saw in his short time before the injury in 15. I went back recently to see what we were saying about JA in 15 before he played. I know I remember being blown away by the plays he made in Juco and most people were really high on him. Really similar to Svboda minus jumping over people.
I was definitely excited from what I saw in spring ball and the Eastern Michigan game before he got hurt. But I personally didn’t realize just how special of a player we had until probably the Northern Illinois game.

For me and like you, it’s been similar with Svoboda. A few of the lasers he threw in the spring games had me asking how we got this guy. And then the few flashes of talent we’ve seen (including a cross field laser in the UNLV game).

While I hate the fact we are playing byu, if Svoboda can do something like Allen’s Northern Illinois game, he will forever endear himself.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

Is there juco tape on Svoboda? Not being snarky just outside of the TX game and some practice bits here and there I haven't seen much past high school.

My take is that he's physically gifted but a game is not a skills competition. I'm not convinced yet that his game skills have matured enough. JA was the man at his JUCO. I'm not saying Svoboda is a bust; I just think we need to see more to know. I hope the enthusiastic crowd is right; it'd be amazing to have another JA-like qb.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am I think most of us were all in on JA in 16’ just from what we saw in his short time before the injury in 15. I went back recently to see what we were saying about JA in 15 before he played. I know I remember being blown away by the plays he made in Juco and most people were really high on him. Really similar to Svboda minus jumping over people.
Is there juco tape on Svoboda? Not being snarky just outside of the TX game and some practice bits here and there I haven't seen much past high school.

My take is that he's physically gifted but a game is not a skills competition. I'm not convinced yet that his game skills have matured enough. JA was the man at his JUCO. I'm not saying Svoboda is a bust; I just think we need to see more to know. I hope the enthusiastic crowd is right; it'd be amazing to have another JA-like qb.
Svoboda was the man in JUCO!! Despite being 3rd string in his one and only year, he amassed something like 8 yards on 3 of 11 passing with 1 INT and 0 TDs. I honestly can’t believe we landed him.

But let me be clear - Svoboda has elite physical traits ala Allen. Whether he comes close to Allen’s intangibles remains to be seen.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Just want to say that there were many comments on here that the best we could sign is a JUCO guy with like 12 pass attempts regarding Svoboda.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

There is no doubt that offering Svoboda out of Snow College was a major gamble. It was a reach, and 98% of the time, those don’t pan out. Hopefully he is an outlier.

I’m not sure any tape from HS or JUCO is really relevant to the player Svoboda is today. Our best metric for making any predictions is the one full game he has on the road vs an eventual playoff participant in Texas. His QBR against Texas was in the top half of all schools to face Texas last year. He had a higher QBR than the Alabama QB did against Texas. And that is working with much more limited talent at WR. In my opinion, that says something.

I think there is a reason Svoboda was named the starter even before spring ball. His performance against Texas last year, along with his size, are probably enough for a bigger program who is not completely set at the QB position to come in and offer him some money to transfer.
We can’t be competitive if we continue to hemorrhage talent.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

TheRealUW wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 pm There is no doubt that offering Svoboda out of Snow College was a major gamble. It was a reach, and 98% of the time, those don’t pan out. Hopefully he is an outlier.

I’m not sure any tape from HS or JUCO is really relevant to the player Svoboda is today. Our best metric for making any predictions is the one full game he has on the road vs an eventual playoff participant in Texas. His QBR against Texas was in the top half of all schools to face Texas last year. He had a higher QBR than the Alabama QB did against Texas. And that is working with much more limited talent at WR. In my opinion, that says something.

I think there is a reason Svoboda was named the starter even before spring ball. His performance against Texas last year, along with his size, are probably enough for a bigger program who is not completely set at the QB position to come in and offer him some money to transfer.
Hopefully being named the presumptive starter will keep him in Laramie for at least this season.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 pm
TheRealUW wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 pm There is no doubt that offering Svoboda out of Snow College was a major gamble. It was a reach, and 98% of the time, those don’t pan out. Hopefully he is an outlier.

Hopefully being named the presumptive starter will keep him in Laramie for at least this season.
Not being a jerk but there is not a risk of someone coming in to pay him. He played 1 game with 136 yds and 1 int. Yes it was TX, but there isn't enough body of work to demand a payday in the portal. There certainly might have been g5 options for him. I would hope the Dec starter announcement was lip service; i think it is.

I like the kid and hope like heck everyone is right. I have a suspicion that the qb spot isn't 100% settled but we'll see.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:19 am
doreno5 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 pm
Not being a jerk but there is not a risk of someone coming in to pay him. He played 1 game with 136 yds and 1 int. Yes it was TX, but there isn't enough body of work to demand a payday in the portal. There certainly might have been g5 options for him. I would hope the Dec starter announcement was lip service; i think it is.

I like the kid and hope like heck everyone is right. I have a suspicion that the qb spot isn't 100% settled but we'll see.
I disagree. There’s absolutely a risk. The football community has seen the NFL throw ability. There are not a ton of guys in college football who could have made that throw against UNLV.