Wow - last night was embarassing...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I didn't make it up to Laramie this year to catch a game (went to CSU and AFA games in CO) and I watched last night's game on CBS-College Sports.

There couldn't have been 2,000 people there, including those sitting on the bench. They showed the "student section" and there might have been 25-30 students at the game.

The keel of this ship is broken - the fan support. I don't know if they can get it back. Wyoming fans have loudly and proudly put 7,000+ in the Arena throughout the years. My first exposure to C-boy basketball was when I was in High School and I went to a game at the fieldhouse. I was hooked. By the time I went to UW, the AA was open and it was rockin'.

I went to a few games last year and it was depressing. It's suicidal now.

I think either Schroyer has to go or Burman has to go. I like the DC hire, the wrestling hire and his keeping the girls coach in the fold, but I thought the way he hired Schroyer stunk. He never even looked at good coaches that were available. He locked onto his buddy, wasted $30K to have a background check done on him and handed him the keys to the camaro. Since then, Schroyer has beat the poop out of our classic muscle car. He didn't change the oil, rotate the tires and has ignored the brakes. And he's stacked so much garbage in the back seat that nobody wants to ride in it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Great analogies!

Student support boggles my mind, first and foremost. Does anyone else remember when the "student section" was the entire section(s) on both sides of the player entrance tunnel? That was when we had real student support...those sections were always buzzing. Big difference from then to now. Nobody shows up, even though they have already bought the tickets.

Add in that the student section was about as enthusiastic as a horse-turd last night. Did somebody fill their diet pepsi with valium or something? Wow were they (with the exception of about 15 or 20 of them) pathetic...pathetically quiet.

The opposite side of the AA last night was equally embarrasing though. I thought maybe everyone over there died. They sure acted like it. With the exception of HS's wife, you could hear crickets.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Carl Spackler
Buckaroo

There are several factors of the low attendance. 1. Economy (everyone is down in the MWC except New Mexico. Even at BYU), 2. Not winning, 3. The fans themselves.

It appears that is is easier to complain than to support. Not going to games and then bitching about the program is like not voting but complaining about the politician. Yes, it is your right.

Everytime I hear the coaches and players applaud the fans for their support I want to barf. Last Sunday for the Cowgirls-Utah game, the overall attendance was OK (good, but not great). But the student section is pathetic, even for the Cowgirl games. What's the deal? Last Sunday's game was embarrassing. Let's see, winning program, huge game, Sunday afternoon. Everyone loves the Cowgirls, and no students show up.

Can't blame that one on Schroyer.

Yes, it has been a tough year for the Cowboys. The program is struggling. There defintely needs to be some progress made next year. That is obvious.

I guess the answer is to just quit, bitch and wait until going to Cowboy basketball games is cool again. It's much easier this way.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Carl Spackler wrote:The student section is pathetic for the Cowgirl games. What's the deal? Last Sunday's game was embarrassing. Let's see, winning program, huge game, Sunday afternoon. Everyone loves the Cowgirls, and no students show up.
Great point. That was awful. I don't get it. Maybe they are all too busy trying to reproduce. ;)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

The official attendance for last night was 4526....... 4526!!!!!! How do they figure that? Does Burman walk into the AA and just pull a number out of the air? I am sorry to tell you this but there was not even half of that. A friend of mine called me and asked if I was watching it? I said a little bit, why? He said his 11 yr old told him "Dad, there is nobody there?" Folks, you could hear the cheerleaders... on t.v.! Realistically, you could her the cheerleaders cheer! Oh my GOD!!

And since I am already on the subject, I have told the truth and said that I read the other message boards and post on this one. The other message board didn't even have a single post about last nights win or anything about last nights game until about 11:30. I have mentioned apathy before, several times, but we are in a very new era. It has gotten so bad that realistically, for a basketball game in Laramie, (doesn't matter what night), not even 2000 show up. The really, really, scary part of the whole thing is that it seems a lot of people aren't concerned about the growing apathy happening around the state. The University of Wyoming is in deep trouble! Some people try to make the excuse about being young or injuries but bottom line.... we are not a good basketball team at all and making excuses isn't going help increase peoples desire to support and follow Wyoming basketball. All this and we actually won a game last night. How bad is that?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I think there are a lot of fans out there who still support the team. However, many of those have already figured out that we aren't playing for a conference title, a post season birth, etc. I think many, like myself, just hope to see improvement. And, if you haven't noticed lately, if anyone says anything positive about the mens team, they get it right upside the kisser. The anti folks are the loud minority that make it hard to post anything positive.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I think the only fans that come out and watch losers are......Toronto Maple Leaf Fans, Chicago Cub Fans, Boston Red Sox Fans (before they got good). I was calling for Heath's head as many of you have, but it it clear he is getting a chance for next year. In that case, this season has long been over and now we should all take a bite of the poop sandwich and realize we are going to see heath next year. Saying that, I'm happy to see that Heath at least added guys that on paper fill the needs. Let's all just hope that Afam and Adam get well and other players mature. I've thought about it and I'll be just as excited about next year's team as any in the past. We need to get behind them and let them know there is something to play for. I would think that the players know they aren't worth paying to watch, but let's not jump ship on next year already! Imagine how they might feel if we packed the AA for the exhibition games and the home opener? I'm just saying this year is two or three games until it's over and then we can all stop talking about the poop show it was and start talking about next year. The whole team isn't crap. I see potential in a lot of them.
W-Y, Until I Die!
wylrae
Buckaroo

I think there are several reasons the fan base has fallen off especially over the past few years. Does scheduling games with the likes of Johnson-Wales and Peru State light a fire under fans (even if those had been exhibition games instead of counting in the record, not likely to create a real rush to attend teams that are slightly above the high school level); hearing how there are "four guys on the end of the bench who will really turn things around next year" or this guy is "NBA calibre" and then not seeing any such results (at least in the positive sense) on the floor; frequently seeing what appears to be a disorganized organization on the floor (at least the Cowgirls appear to know what they are doing on offense and where they are supposed to be on defense); a coach whose basic teaching method seems to pull player who has made a mistake or sometimes missed a shot out of the game and either berates the player or puts him on the bench for the duration; seeing a coach act more like a high school player throwing his arms in the air and running out of the floor after a win like his team has pulled off an unbelievable upset or jumping around pumping his fist after a player or the team has done something good; continually hearing how young and inexperienced we are (sure glad it looks like we are getting a 25 year-old sophomore so we will be able to compete with BYU from now on -- after all calander years seems to have always been a problem when competing against them); and a coach who harps continually on how bad of a program he inherited but how he has turned it around (sure would like to see the names of those from the previous program who were not making the grade academically ((some of seriously have doubts that it was nearly as bad as we have been lead to believe)) but does not point out that the AD fixed the so-called problem by hiring two full-time tutors to travel with the basketball team and an academic coordinator to keep the basketball players on track academically (again, some of us think this could easily have been done to fix the prior program); and I could go on but finally, seeing the coach given an extension for making it into post season going to a tournament that did not exist until a couple of years ago and one which you pretty much buy your way into.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

wylrae wrote:I think there are several reasons the fan base has fallen off especially over the past few years. Does scheduling games with the likes of Johnson-Wales and Peru State light a fire under fans (even if those had been exhibition games instead of counting in the record, not likely to create a real rush to attend teams that are slightly above the high school level); hearing how there are "four guys on the end of the bench who will really turn things around next year" or this guy is "NBA calibre" and then not seeing any such results (at least in the positive sense) on the floor; frequently seeing what appears to be a disorganized organization on the floor (at least the Cowgirls appear to know what they are doing on offense and where they are supposed to be on defense); a coach whose basic teaching method seems to pull player who has made a mistake or sometimes missed a shot out of the game and either berates the player or puts him on the bench for the duration; seeing a coach act more like a high school player throwing his arms in the air and running out of the floor after a win like his team has pulled off an unbelievable upset or jumping around pumping his fist after a player or the team has done something good; continually hearing how young and inexperienced we are (sure glad it looks like we are getting a 25 year-old sophomore so we will be able to compete with BYU from now on -- after all calander years seems to have always been a problem when competing against them); and a coach who harps continually on how bad of a program he inherited but how he has turned it around (sure would like to see the names of those from the previous program who were not making the grade academically ((some of seriously have doubts that it was nearly as bad as we have been lead to believe)) but does not point out that the AD fixed the so-called problem by hiring two full-time tutors to travel with the basketball team and an academic coordinator to keep the basketball players on track academically (again, some of us think this could easily have been done to fix the prior program); and I could go on but finally, seeing the coach given an extension for making it into post season going to a tournament that did not exist until a couple of years ago and one which you pretty much buy your way into.
Yes, fans like you. No offense, but your dislike for the coach has caused you to say nothing good about the program. Who cares how old a player is as long as he can help. I see this too much from Wyoming fans, especially in this case. Cheer for your team for crap sake or don't follow them at all.
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote:
wylrae wrote:I think there are several reasons the fan base has fallen off especially over the past few years. Does scheduling games with the likes of Johnson-Wales and Peru State light a fire under fans (even if those had been exhibition games instead of counting in the record, not likely to create a real rush to attend teams that are slightly above the high school level); hearing how there are "four guys on the end of the bench who will really turn things around next year" or this guy is "NBA calibre" and then not seeing any such results (at least in the positive sense) on the floor; frequently seeing what appears to be a disorganized organization on the floor (at least the Cowgirls appear to know what they are doing on offense and where they are supposed to be on defense); a coach whose basic teaching method seems to pull player who has made a mistake or sometimes missed a shot out of the game and either berates the player or puts him on the bench for the duration; seeing a coach act more like a high school player throwing his arms in the air and running out of the floor after a win like his team has pulled off an unbelievable upset or jumping around pumping his fist after a player or the team has done something good; continually hearing how young and inexperienced we are (sure glad it looks like we are getting a 25 year-old sophomore so we will be able to compete with BYU from now on -- after all calander years seems to have always been a problem when competing against them); and a coach who harps continually on how bad of a program he inherited but how he has turned it around (sure would like to see the names of those from the previous program who were not making the grade academically ((some of seriously have doubts that it was nearly as bad as we have been lead to believe)) but does not point out that the AD fixed the so-called problem by hiring two full-time tutors to travel with the basketball team and an academic coordinator to keep the basketball players on track academically (again, some of us think this could easily have been done to fix the prior program); and I could go on but finally, seeing the coach given an extension for making it into post season going to a tournament that did not exist until a couple of years ago and one which you pretty much buy your way into.
Yes, fans like you. No offense, but your dislike for the coach has caused you to say nothing good about the program. Who cares how old a player is as long as he can help. I see this too much from Wyoming fans, especially in this case. Cheer for your team for crap sake or don't follow them at all.

Jimmy, I read a couple of times what wylrae said I don't really see what he said as being too far off base. I think that all of us care very much about Wyoming and it is killing us to see where this program is. We have a ton of pride in this state and it is very hard to take not being very good at all. As far as Heath goes, him and Burman both said when Heath was hired, that they both wanted and demanded a winning program. Winning was going to be required. In 3 years we have not seen that (including last years bought tournament and DII schedule). I am not sure what there is good to say about the program whether his dislike for the coach is the reason or not. Horrible attendance (lowest ever at the AA), bottom of the conference record, etc... I am not sure what there is to cheer about. It is very clear that alot of UW fans have decided to take you up on your last sentence and don't care anymore to follow them because they are tired of where the program is. The program is in trouble and I think most people see it!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I don't like how heath was hired or how he was given an extension for doing nothing. I don't like playing the Peru States of the world either. I don't like hearing that we are inexperienced, but for f-word sake, we have one senior! Some guys have left, but we don't know if it's because Heath is a huge asshole or if it's because he didn't know the kid was a pussy.

A freshman is a freshman and when we get a 26 yr old sophomore, he should be considered a sophomore and nothing else.

I want Heath fired. I want a new coach, but it's not going to happen. I think that he will be gone if next year isn't better. That being said, I'm through with this year. I'll catch a game if I happen to be watching tv when it's on, but if we are fans, we should support the team as they go into next year. We all know the problems. I'm sick of being piss pounded by BYU as everyone else. Pissing and moaning isn't going help this season or the next. Heath won't make it after next season, take solice in that.
W-Y, Until I Die!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote:I don't like how heath was hired or how he was given an extension for doing nothing. I don't like playing the Peru States of the world either. I don't like hearing that we are inexperienced, but for f##k sake, we have one senior! Some guys have left, but we don't know if it's because Heath is a huge a##hole or if it's because he didn't know the kid was a pussy.

A freshman is a freshman and when we get a 26 yr old sophomore, he should be considered a sophomore and nothing else.

I want Heath fired. I want a new coach, but it's not going to happen. I think that he will be gone if next year isn't better. That being said, I'm through with this year. I'll catch a game if I happen to be watching tv when it's on, but if we are fans, we should support the team as they go into next year. We all know the problems. I'm sick of being piss pounded by BYU as everyone else. Pissing and moaning isn't going help this season or the next. Heath won't make it after next season, take solice in that.

I don't agree with you on this one. A 19-year-old sophomore still may have some growing and will benefit greatly from weight training, drills and practice against stronger, more experienced players. a 26 year-old sophomore has peaked physically and will not likely improve much. His game can get better with coaching, but physically and mentally, he's grown up. Eric Leckner was a skinny 19-year old that needed to bulk up and improve his footwork and defensive positioning and learn how to play the D-1 game. With a mid 20's guy, he could get better, but IMO what you see is what you get.
Wind River Poke
Ranch Hand

Jimmy...or should I say Heath. Do you REALLY believe there isn't a problem with this program? Really?
“God bless Wyoming and keep it wild.”
-Helen Mettler, age 15, 1925
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Wind River Poke wrote:Jimmy...or should I say Heath. Do you REALLY believe there isn't a problem with this program? Really?
:lol:
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

CowboyCO wrote:
laxwyo wrote:I don't like how heath was hired or how he was given an extension for doing nothing. I don't like playing the Peru States of the world either. I don't like hearing that we are inexperienced, but for f##k sake, we have one senior! Some guys have left, but we don't know if it's because Heath is a huge a##hole or if it's because he didn't know the kid was a pussy.

I don't agree with you on this one. A 19-year-old sophomore still may have some growing and will benefit greatly from weight training, drills and practice against stronger, more experienced players. a 26 year-old sophomore has peaked physically and will not likely improve much. His game can get better with coaching, but physically and mentally, he's grown up. Eric Leckner was a skinny 19-year old that needed to bulk up and improve his footwork and defensive positioning and learn how to play the D-1 game. With a mid 20's guy, he could get better, but IMO what you see is what you get.
I agree with some of what you said, but by your logic, no college player would get better when they reach the NBA because they have reached their physical peak. I do concede that our guy is older than almost all guys being drafted into the NBA. I think he could get A LOT better from some D-1 coaching. Now I just don't know if the cowboys actually have a real D-1 coach. I think that if someone knew what they were doing they could really show this guy how to use that matured frame of his. If he had a lot of natural ability he could dominate the conference.....that is, if we had a real coach.

I remember Utah had that old running back who had been in the marines for four years or more before playing football for them. If I remember right, he was pretty good.
W-Y, Until I Die!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Mike Anderson?
ImageImageImageImage