Basketball vs. Memphis?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
TigerEye
Buckaroo

Greetings from Tigerland!

I've heard rumblings of a game between y'all and us next season in Memphis. Anyone here heard anything?
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

TigerEye wrote:Greetings from Tigerland!

I've heard rumblings of a game between y'all and us next season in Memphis. Anyone here heard anything?
they was trying to get a game with Memphis two years ago I believe. I hope it happens, if we can get you guys to come here the following year.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

wow. you mean the local 127 wasn't available? we'll see if we can fit memphis in between wyotech and Devri!
W-Y, Until I Die!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

Tiger, you must be mistaken. Memphis Tech? Maybe. Memphis East High School? Maybe. Memphis School for the Deaf and Blind? Probably. Memphis? Sorry, we don't play good teams OOC.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

I can see it now.
Memphis 140
Wyoming 34
:brick:

Welcome to the forum though :lol:
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

Well, we had a good half against Tenn. Didn't get completely destroyed from the first whistle.
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote:Well, we had a good half against Tenn. Didn't get completely destroyed from the first whistle.
You were watching Memphis play the Laramie Junior High. That's why it looked close for awhile. The game between Memphis and the UW Cowboys though, well, let's just say that there is now a new record for points scored in the first 5 minutes, let alone the half.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

TwoTone wrote:I can see it now.
Memphis 140
Wyoming 34
:brick:

Welcome to the forum though :lol:
I think maybe y'all are confusing the Cheating Memphis Tigers under the direction of head cheater himself, John Calipari? Memphis is simply not the same team, now that they don't pay their players and do all their school work for them. I have no respect for Calipari or what he did at Memphis, the fricken cheater. And there must be a reason 5 UK kids declared for the NBA early...they know the heat is right around the corner.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TigerEye
Buckaroo

Got confirmation today. It's a buy game being played at Memphis. Look forward to playing you guys.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

Of course we WILL PLAY AT, emphasis on at, Memphis State. Head coach gets to keep revenue from one road game a year so that's why we suddenly like the idea of playing at UCLA or Tennessee or Memphis State. It's the one game a year that winning doesn't matter.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Poke Around wrote:Of course we WILL PLAY AT, emphasis on at, Memphis State. Head coach gets to keep revenue from one road game a year so that's why we suddenly like the idea of playing at UCLA or Tennessee or Memphis State. It's the one game a year that winning doesn't matter.
Not that its a big deal...but they changed their name from Memphis State to the University of Memphis about 15 years ago
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Poke Around wrote:Of course we WILL PLAY AT, emphasis on at, Memphis State. Head coach gets to keep revenue from one road game a year so that's why we suddenly like the idea of playing at UCLA or Tennessee or Memphis State. It's the one game a year that winning doesn't matter.
I see no problem whatsoever with playing one money game per year (I am not sure if that is what the Memphis game will be or not, but the UCLA and Tenn games were the designated money game for the season).

We play our fair share of cupcakes (some of which eat us) at home every year. I really don't think it hurts to play one high level team on the road. The fact that we are not competitive in the game is a different problem.

We played one-off road games in McClain's last few years as well (Kansas, Arizona, etc.).
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Well, we had a good half against Tenn. Didn't get completely destroyed from the first whistle.
I remember the last time we played Memphis...Memphis State then. We beat them by about 30 or so in the AA. Memphis is a different animal now, but there is no reason to think next season can't be more competitive. Bring on the haters!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

It is worth pointing out that Memphis did not even make the NCAA tournament this year and lost in the 2nd round of the NIT to Ole Miss. They also had one of their best players (sophmore) declare for the NCAA draft. Memphis had a good run, but they are nowhere nearly as talented as a few years ago. In fact, I think the Tennessee team (the one that lost to Michigan State in the Elite 8 by a point) we played this year is much better than them.
TigerEye
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote:It is worth pointing out that Memphis did not even make the NCAA tournament this year and lost in the 2nd round of the NIT to Ole Miss. They also had one of their best players (sophmore) declare for the NCAA draft. Memphis had a good run, but they are nowhere nearly as talented as a few years ago. In fact, I think the Tennessee team (the one that lost to Michigan State in the Elite 8 by a point) we played this year is much better than them.
We have the #1 recruiting class in the nation coming in next year, as well as quite a few good, experienced returning players (Coleman, Garcia, Witherspoon, probably Sallie). Not to mention, Coach Pastner actually knows how to coach in tight situations, which you couldn't always say about Calipari.

We weren't very good this last season, sure, but we had lost a ton of players and our entire recruiting class when Cal left, and we were left with a few role players and walk-ons. Last year was a rebuilding year, through and through, and despite all that, we won 24 games and made the NIT.

So don't think we're going anywhere, we're not. But good luck anyway.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

TigerEye wrote:But good luck anyway.
None of us are delusional enough to think that our team will even be competitive with Memphis. I was just pointing out that Memphis was not the great team it had been in years past. Im surprised you are even taking an interest with Wyoming on your schedule.

Our program has fallen into shambles under the direction of Schroyer. Our recruiting class was just JUCOs. We have two pretty good players (Jackson and Muojeke) and one player that plays with a lot of heart (Waddell)...but we have no coaching. We have a guy, who is paid quite well, to constantly berate our players and never take responsibilty for anything.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
TigerEye wrote:But good luck anyway.
None of us are delusional enough to think that our team will even be competitive with Memphis. I was just pointing out that Memphis was not the great team it had been in years past. Im surprised you are even taking an interest with Wyoming on your schedule.

Our program has fallen into shambles under the direction of Schroyer. Our recruiting class was just JUCOs. We have two pretty good players (Jackson and Muojeke) and one player that plays with a lot of heart (Waddell)...but we have no coaching. We have a guy, who is paid quite well, to constantly berate our players and never take responsibilty for anything.
Kinda like George W. Bush.

BTW, I'm Republican. :rofl:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

NowherePoke wrote:
I see no problem whatsoever with playing one money game per year (I am not sure if that is what the Memphis game will be or not, but the UCLA and Tenn games were the designated money game for the season).

We play our fair share of cupcakes (some of which eat us) at home every year. I really don't think it hurts to play one high level team on the road. The fact that we are not competitive in the game is a different problem.

We played one-off road games in McClain's last few years as well (Kansas, Arizona, etc.).

Yes and McClain split the proceeds among ALL of his assistants to supplmenet the income they received, not just with his one buddy.