Anyone else worried about getting left behind?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

The Big 10 talk has gotten everybody off their rocker.

Depending on how things shake out, the MWC could be substantially stronger or weaker - especially in comparison to other conferences.

What is the MWC - and more specifically Wyoming - doing to make sure that when the dust settles, that it isn't left in the lurch?

Despite what Dennis Dodd says, I can't imagine Wyoming in the PAC-10. There would have to be some serious incentive ($$$) pushing behind UW to make that happen.

I think the Pokes - and most of the rest of the teams in the conference - are tied to the fate of the MWC, with the exception of Utah, BYU, TCU and Air Force.

If things don't work out well, we could see a brand new level of football below the BCS but above I-AA - with Wyoming smack in the middle of it.

If things turn out well (a weakened Big 12 being crucial to this) I could see a Mountain West Conference with Boise, Colorado and Texas Tech in it. (Think about it - why would Colorado want to be in a Nebraska-less Big 12? Would Texas Tech prefer Baylor and Kansas or TCU and New Mexico?)

Unlikely - yes - but something is coming. I hope we're ready for it.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

I really hope that the Big 10 only go after and get Notre Dame and the PAC decide not to expand.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

fromolwyoming wrote:I really hope that the Big 10 only go after and get Notre Dame and the PAC decide not to expand.
The PAC-10 won't expand. Trust me! That conference can't expand without all 10 schools agreeing and I can't see a school like Stanford wanting to play Utah, BYU, or Colorado at least twice in a 4 year period as conference mates. I just can't see it happening.

Big 10 will add at most 3 schools from the Big East which will gut that conference to where the MWC will get the Big Least's spot in the BCS.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I think the Big East is in the biggest trouble, which will make CUSA in trouble, which will make Sun Belt in trouble. I think the Big East is in SERIOUS jeopardy of losing AEQ status if Big 10 expands. I can't imagine the Pac 10 expanding.. I'd think they'd be happy sharing their pie without having to give up more $$$. Just my take.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

MrTitleist wrote:I think the Big East is in the biggest trouble, which will make CUSA in trouble, which will make Sun Belt in trouble. I think the Big East is in SERIOUS jeopardy of losing AEQ status if Big 10 expands. I can't imagine the Pac 10 expanding.. I'd think they'd be happy sharing their pie without having to give up more $$$. Just my take.
And to add, I really don't think the Big 10 wants Missouri so the Big 12 is safe which means the MWC is safe as well.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I still don't see the PAC expanding anytime soon.

All these 16-team, 14-team dream expansion scenarios smell like a bunch of BS to me.

We will survive regardless of what happens, although naturally it is a little worrisome in the back of your mind that in the remote, 1% chance of all this big-time poop going down, expansion being driven by # of tv sets etc. etc. that of course Wyoming could get left behind. ..

But I don't see that happening. Most likely we would still be able to form a pretty decent conference with the remnants of the MWC, WAC, Big-12 which could even rival the current MWC if the poop really hits the fan.

Ultimate MWC meltdown, Utah, BYU (unlikely to leave due to their uniqueness), (Maybe TCU, but their options are very limited, no historical tie anyway) all leave. The Big-12 is gutted by the Big-10 and ceases to exist, Big East follows a similar fate.

I think you could still form a pretty decent conference with lets say,...

Wyoming, CSU, BYU (likely still around), New Mexico, Air Force, Boise St., UNLV, SDSU, Fresno St., Houston, and some Big-12 leftovers like Kansas St., Iowa St., Texas Tech, Baylor, just to throw a bunch of names out there.

But I think the most likely scenario is that everyone is blowing a bunch of hot air off right now and the 2012 season will look eerily familiar to the 2010 season.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

calpoke25 wrote:I still don't see the PAC expanding anytime soon.

All these 16-team, 14-team dream expansion scenarios smell like a bunch of BS to me.

We will survive regardless of what happens, although naturally it is a little worrisome in the back of your mind that in the remote, 1% chance of all this big-time s##t going down, expansion being driven by # of tv sets etc. etc. that of course Wyoming could get left behind. ..

But I don't see that happening. Most likely we would still be able to form a pretty decent conference with the remnants of the MWC, WAC, Big-12 which could even rival the current MWC if the s##t really hits the fan.

Ultimate MWC meltdown, Utah, BYU (unlikely to leave due to their uniqueness), (Maybe TCU, but their options are very limited, no historical tie anyway) all leave. The Big-12 is gutted by the Big-10 and ceases to exist, Big East follows a similar fate.

I think you could still form a pretty decent conference with lets say,...

Wyoming, CSU, BYU (likely still around), New Mexico, Air Force, Boise St., UNLV, SDSU, Fresno St., Houston, and some Big-12 leftovers like Kansas St., Iowa St., Texas Tech, Baylor, just to throw a bunch of names out there.

But I think the most likely scenario is that everyone is blowing a bunch of hot air off right now and the 2012 season will look eerily familiar to the 2010 season.
I tend to agree with this scenario. Just for me, instead of 1%, it seems closer to 10% that this expansion Doomsday scanrio would happen. But with finals coming up in a week, a very busy summer schedule right after that includes having to deal with a snot nosed cousin not only once, but also on my birthday, I suppose such a thing would seem a bit more threatening.
I really don't see the point of 16 team conferences myself, as you basically have 2 seperate conferences that happen to have the same name at that point. 14 I see as slightly more believeable, but not by much. But I am hoping that the BCS would just go f*** themselves, and let collegiate sports be collegiate sports.