Why isn't Air Force considered a main rival?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I mean, other than a conference rival. The UW/Air Force game is almost always as much of a battle as the Border War is. Even in the "blowout" this last year, for what, an entire half? neither team was really getting anywhere, and Air Force only won by 10 points.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Easy answer.

We actually respect AFA.

Wyoming fans loathe BYU and CSU.

And to have a rival you have to loathe the other team or be in the same state.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Wyokie wrote:Easy answer.

We actually respect AFA.

Wyoming fans loathe BYU and CSU.

And to have a rival you have to loathe the other team or be in the same state.
True, but still. There should at least be a trophy or something. Like "The High Plains Trophy," as UW and AFA are the 2 highest in elevation Universities in the nation. Wyoming and Hawaii even had a trophy for a rivalry of sorts.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

You already answered your question with your choice of words for the title, namely "Main" Rival.

By definition, you can't have more than one or two "Main" rivals, otherwise that would defeat the definition of the word. Main to me means few or one. We can't have 1/3 of the conference as a Main Rival.

You also have to have a mutual feeling of rivalry on the other end. Air Force already has Main Rivals in Army and Navy and they have the Ram-Falcon trophy with CSU.

Wyoming-Air Force has also been a classic series, doesn't mean it has to necessarily be a rivalry.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

I still think it would be neat if there was some sort of trophy though.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

fromolwyoming wrote:Wyoming and Hawaii even had a trophy for a rivalry of sorts.
That trophy was called the Paniolo Trophy. Paniolo is Hawaiian for cowboy.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

I wish we still played Hawaii once in a while
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

TwoTone wrote:I wish we still played Hawaii once in a while
Me too. Mainly so I can rub it in on my buddies who live in Hawaii every time we beat them. They're pretty good at home but horrible on the road. Biggest problem is their OL and DL.

Their current coach is half-decent. Reminds me of Joe Glenn. Their coaching is not the greatest but their talent is better than UW's for now.......

The main problem about their fans is that they all think the WAC is on par with the MWC when the reality is the MWC is far superior!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Wyokie wrote:
Me too. Mainly so I can rub it in on my buddies who live in Hawaii every time we beat them. They're pretty good at home but horrible on the road. Biggest problem is their OL and DL.

Their current coach is half-decent. Reminds me of Joe Glenn. Their coaching is not the greatest but their talent is better than UW's for now.......

The main problem about their fans is that they all think the WAC is on par with the MWC when the reality is the MWC is far superior!
If I'm not mistaken, don't you post on a Hawaii Warriors forum?Because I have ran across one a couple times with a certain Wyoming fan on there wanting to renew that rivalry.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

fromolwyoming wrote:
Wyokie wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, don't you post on a Hawaii Warriors forum?Because I have ran across one a couple times with a certain Wyoming fan on there wanting to renew that rivalry.
Good memory. Yep, I post as Wyokie on Sports Hawaii.com. The guys there are great but they do get my damned nerves when it comes to the MWC vs WAC stuff.