Boise media invited to MWC meetings

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

ImageImageImageImage
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Well, the writing is pretty much on the wall. BSU is going to get the invite, and they are going to accept. What's interesting to me is that we already have BSU scheduled in 2011, which is when they will officially be playing as part of the Mtn West Conference. With a 10 team conference, do the teams play 9 conference games or do they use a rotating schedule where they miss one conference opponent every year? If it is the latter, I would imagine the rivalry games would be exempt and would not be part of the rotation. Also, if it a rotating schedule, does that mean UW ends up playing one extra conference game in 2011 since they already had BSU scheduled? I think that would make the conference standings a mess. Any thoughts?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

TheRealUW wrote:Well, the writing is pretty much on the wall. BSU is going to get the invite, and they are going to accept. What's interesting to me is that we already have BSU scheduled in 2011, which is when they will officially be playing as part of the Mtn West Conference. With a 10 team conference, do the teams play 9 conference games or do they use a rotating schedule where they miss one conference opponent every year? If it is the latter, I would imagine the rivalry games would be exempt and would not be part of the rotation. Also, if it a rotating schedule, does that mean UW ends up playing one extra conference game in 2011 since they already had BSU scheduled? I think that would make the conference standings a mess. Any thoughts?
If Boise gets the invite (which they will), we would be able to schedule a different opponent for 2011 in their slot. I'm not seeing the MWC playing 9 conference and 3 OOC games, especially when Air Force plays Army and Navy yearly and Notre Dame every 3 years.

My thoughts on scheduling are in line with yours. One team gets left out of the rotation yearly, with rivalry games being exempt. The bigger question for me is what constitutes a rivalry game? Trophy games are a given, but what about pure hate games? We've been BYU's bitch for a while now, but that doesn't make it any less of a rivalry. I'd be pretty upset if we had to skip a year against them.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

The problem with leaving a team out in the scheduling is obvious. Say Boise and TCU are running the table side by side, each are 8-0 in conference play, but they don't play each other during the season. So you have two teams with 12-0, 8-0 records but don't play each other, even though they're in the same conference.. who's your champion? I realize this is a perfect storm, but you have to plan ahead.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

MrTitleist wrote:The problem with leaving a team out in the scheduling is obvious. Say Boise and TCU are running the table side by side, each are 8-0 in conference play, but they don't play each other during the season. So you have two teams with 12-0, 8-0 records but don't play each other, even though they're in the same conference.. who's your champion? I realize this is a perfect storm, but you have to plan ahead.
Perfect storm yes but.......

Having two 12-0 teams in the MWC would give the MWC two BCS Bowl invites which means more $$$$$.

Always look at the upside.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

WYO1016 wrote: If Boise gets the invite (which they will), we would be able to schedule a different opponent for 2011 in their slot. I'm not seeing the MWC playing 9 conference and 3 OOC games, especially when Air Force plays Army and Navy yearly and Notre Dame every 3 years.

My thoughts on scheduling are in line with yours. One team gets left out of the rotation yearly, with rivalry games being exempt. The bigger question for me is what constitutes a rivalry game? Trophy games are a given, but what about pure hate games? We've been BYU's bitch for a while now, but that doesn't make it any less of a rivalry. I'd be pretty upset if we had to skip a year against them.
I wouldn't have minded missing BYU last year or probably this year either until we get our poop together.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:The problem with leaving a team out in the scheduling is obvious. Say Boise and TCU are running the table side by side, each are 8-0 in conference play, but they don't play each other during the season. So you have two teams with 12-0, 8-0 records but don't play each other, even though they're in the same conference.. who's your champion? I realize this is a perfect storm, but you have to plan ahead.
All problems aside, Air Force isn't going to be happy essentially having 11 out of its 12 games set in stone every year.

Plus if you do the round-robin schedule you end up with an imbalanced home-away schedule where one year you have 5 conference home games and another year you only have 4. This could lead to scenarios where Wyoming only has 5 home games for the entire season.

In a perfect world yes, the round robin is the only way to determine a true champion, but there are pluses and minuses for both sides you have to account for in today's CFB world.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Wyokie wrote:

Having two 12-0 teams in the MWC would give the MWC two BCS Bowl invites which means more $$$$$.

How would the MWC get two BCS bowl invites? We fight just to get one. Without an auto-bid it's moot point.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

MrTitleist wrote:
Wyokie wrote:

How would the MWC get two BCS bowl invites? We fight just to get one. Without an auto-bid it's moot point.
If both are 12-0 and ranked high enough (#12 or higher), both would get invites. Besides both media darlings anyways...and the media controls the BCS.

Either way, once Boise leaves the WAC, that conference goes down to the level of the MAC or the Sun Belt. Right now, it's barely above CUSA.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!