As soon as Monday?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

ImageImageImageImage
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

BYU leave the conference? Oh my God! What can we do to help the exit?
msuhunter
Ranch Hand

Where would BYu and Utah go? The WAC? haha. I seriously doubt it would be the Pac-10.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

The big rumor now is that the PAC-10 is going to raid the Big XII big time, grabbing Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A &M, Texas Tech, AND Colorado.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

I'd bet my life that the only conference switch we see this year is Boise State to the MWC. There is a slight, and I mean slight, chance that Utah could go to the Pac-10. The Pac-10 won't invite Utah by itself though and no other school is going to be willing to move to the Pac-10. I'm afraid that BYU is pretty much stuck in the MWC as their standards and rules will prevent most conferences from offering them to join. TCU won't go to the Big 12 because they don't want another Texas school to be competeing for the recruits.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I don't really see Texas going somewhere that they can't dictate what happens, as USC and UCLA already pretty much dictate the PAC and I doubt that they would just hand the reigns over. And I see a scenario where Texas strongarms the rest of the Big 12 into staying, which includes Nebraska, as a more likely scenario than the PAC jumping to 16 teams.

As for Utah going to the PAC, well, they may be liberal compared to BYU, but then again, who isn't (other than the service academies and a handful of other schools)? CU fits, except geographically, but they don't deliver the Denver market by themselves, and you would need at least 2 other front range schools in order to get the desired amount of tv sets, but I don't think it would be worth it.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

TheRealUW wrote:I'd bet my life that the only conference switch we see this year is Boise State to the MWC.
Agreed, except for ND possibly joining a conference, and I think it's probably the best move the MWC could make. Adding Boise virtually guarantees an AQ bid for the MWC, and I'm beginning to believe that all of this conference expansion talk was the BCS hoping that something would actually happen to prevent the MWC making the offer.

Adding Boise makes it really difficult for anyone to leave the MWC, IMO. Utah may go, but they'd have a hard time bringing BYU along, and I don't think they'd go anywhere if BYU didn't get an invite as well. TCU is at the top of the heap right now, and adding Boise just makes that heap a little stronger. I don't believe that any of the other MWC schools are really desired by any other conferences. And I don't see why any of the big time Big 12 schools (Texas, A&M, TT, Ok, Ok St, or even CU) would leave the Big 12, especially for an overrated Pac 10. The only negative to the MWC adding Boise is you divide the financial pie up one more way, but you also add a lot of BCS revenue with a strong team. So you divide a larger pie by 10 instead of a smaller pie by 9. I think that's a wash.

So in the end, I think the only move we see is the MWC adding Boise. That makes it really difficult for any current MWC members to leave, which prevents the Big 12 or Pac 10 from adding any competitive teams should they get raided. That then causes them to fight harder to keep members, which I don't think really want to leave anyway. Just my :twocents:

GO POKES!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

While the pie may shrink, getting an auto-bid would probably increase the take that the MWC gets from the BCS bowls. I thought I read something where Michigan made more off of the BCS bowls than the entire MWC did this last season. Anyone else see that or am I hallucinating again?
ImageImageImageImage
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:Anyone else see that
I don't remember anything specific, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised. My point was that's it's a slightly smaller percentage of a much larger pie, which makes that argument moot in my opinion. I don't see much negative to adding Boise, and I think if we did, it makes it really hard for any current MWC members to jump ship.

GO POKES!