BYU Considering football independence

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Wow. And a big F U to the Cougars!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5472642
Rival Utah's move to the Pac-10 has given BYU the impetus to seriously explore the possibility of leaving the Mountain West, going independent in football and re-joining the WAC in all other sports, multiple sources told ESPN.com Tuesday.

BYU, according to sources, was stunned that an invitation didn't come its way as the Pac-10 first invited the Big 12's Colorado and then turned to Utah to become the Pac-12 earlier this summer. The Big 12, which lost Nebraska to the Big Ten as well, decided to stay with 10 members for 2012 and beyond after Texas decided to stay put instead of going to the Pac-10.
ImageImageImageImage
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Do we need more reasons to hate them?
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Always high and mighty on themselves. Kind of figured this would happen sooner or later. But going to the WAC for your other sports? Seriously? :lol: If that's what they need to make them feel better.
Give us Nevada or Fresno, We'll take them to glory with us.
sdpoke
Ranch Hand

I'm with the nevada addition, but let's go get houston also. In adding houston we would have a team in the 4th largest u.s. city to go along with san diego, las vegas, denver area, and the dallas metroplex. That's a lot of potential people watching games on themtn, and the other networks. Never a bad thing to have more people watching your product.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5473151
BYU is moving closer to leaving the Mountain West, becoming a football independent and re-joining the WAC in all other sports by a Sept. 1 deadline to withdraw from the MWC for the 2011 season, multiple sources said Wednesday. "I'm not sure how it could stop now unless BYU gets nervous," said one source with knowledge of the situation.

The Cougars have been exploring the possibility since rival Utah left for the Pac-10 earlier this summer.
ImageImageImageImage
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

BYU was shocked that PAC-10 didn't invite them, or that they didn't receive an invitation from somewhere else?
There's no way in %&*^# that PAC-10 wants anything to do with BYU, that's for sure.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Oh, and from Denver Post:
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15815273

I hope BYU crashes and burns.

Please, Wyoming, Hulk Stomp them this year. Make them miserable.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

same story from the denver post this morning.http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15815273

If true, is this the end of the mountain west as a viable conference?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote:same story from the denver post this morning.http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15815273

If true, is this the end of the mountain west as a viable conference?
If it happens, the MWC better pounce on Fresno and Nevada + possibly Houston and/or Montana (if they're ready to join the big boys). Also, refuse to schedule any games at all with BYU. Freeze them out and see how they like it on the outside. Their program will completely crumble if all they can schedule is the occasional WAC team, and I couldn't be more excited about that.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

They were shocked that no one wanted anything to do with them? :lol: That's typical BYU arrogance. No conference in their right mind would add them (except maybe the WAC) and deal with the crap the MWC puts up with from them. And if they think the BCS is going to grant them a sweetheart deal like ND, they're crazy.

I say call their bluff, and make sure the door doesn't hit him in the ass on the way out. And if it does happen, I agree with Asmodeanreborn that the MWC should freeze them out. It sounds like a negotiating tactic to me. They want something - bigger slice of the pie, the rights to broadcast their games, etc. - and they think this is how they're going to get it.

My one concern about all of this is the MWC auto-qualifier status. Does this mean BYU doesn't think we'll be getting it anytime soon? If that's the word they're getting, this potential move suddenly makes more sense. That part concerns me a bit.

Other than that - see ya BYU! :D

GO POKES!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

I think this really hurts us. Even though we have'nt beat them in a while, they are a big draw when they come to town. UNLV, SDS, and even New Mexico are not nearly the draw the Utah schools are....

Plus, what happens to the Mountain network? Without a utah school, can it even survive? Boise state is not much of a BB school. From a BB standpoint, do New Mexico and SDS and UNLV want to be in a conference with CSU and Air force and Boise st., and sadly, us?

From a football standpoint, are we now just the WAC with Boise state thrown in?

We could stand to lose 1 Utah school, but not both, imo.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

According to this, Boise might never join the MWC.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7000 ... eturn.html
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Also there are rumors that TCU wants in the Big 12!!!

The MWC is done and Wyoming won't be able to rejoin the WAC!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Why wouldn't the WAC let us in? We would be a good fit. We just beat one of their better football schools in a bowl game. We play Boise tough in football. I hope they let us in, because if any of this is true, the MWC is finished.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

According to this article, it's a done deal http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/50 ... e.html.csp
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Okay, sadly with every post here, everyone it seems has forgotten that we have TCU in this league too. I think the MWC will be fine. Besides, why do we need Utah for The MTN to survive. Provo and SLC are not as big as Denver and Most all of Idaho, plus Fort Worth/ Dallas, San Diego, Las Vegas, The State of Wyoming, Colorado Springs, heck, even Albuquerque. There is still a massive draw to the MWC. Plus, add Nevada and we get the state of Nevada. Add Fresno and we get northern Cali, and maybe even Houston, for another big Texas city.
I definitely disagree with bringing in Montana. If they want to upgrade, let them join the Sun Belt or WAC and then work their way up like Boise did.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:Okay, sadly with every post here, everyone it seems has forgotten that we have TCU in this league too. I think the MWC will be fine. Besides, why do we need Utah for The MTN to survive. Provo and SLC are not as big as Denver and Most all of Idaho, plus Fort Worth/ Dallas, San Diego, Las Vegas, The State of Wyoming, Colorado Springs, heck, even Albuquerque. There is still a massive draw to the MWC. Plus, add Nevada and we get the state of Nevada. Add Fresno and we get northern Cali, and maybe even Houston, for another big Texas city.
I definitely disagree with bringing in Montana. If they want to upgrade, let them join the Sun Belt or WAC and then work their way up like Boise did.

Did you not read the article? There is a big penalty to leave the WAC. So forget Nevada and Fresno. Plus, I bet Boise st. backs out now. They can renege without penalty. This is the end of the MWC. Watch every team make a run for the WAC, starting with SDS and UNLV.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:Also there are rumors that TCU wants in the Big 12!!!

The MWC is done and Wyoming won't be able to rejoin the WAC!!!!
Come on Wyokie, saying TCU wants to be in the Big12, is like saying Wyoming wants to be in the Big 12. Just because they want to, doesn't mean they will get an invite. In fact, I don't think the Big12 would want them.

As for the WAC, the MWC will still be strong.

FU BYU!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:According to this, Boise might never join the MWC.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7000 ... eturn.html
Consider the source on this one.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:Okay, sadly with every post here, everyone it seems has forgotten that we have TCU in this league too. I think the MWC will be fine. Besides, why do we need Utah for The MTN to survive. Provo and SLC are not as big as Denver and Most all of Idaho, plus Fort Worth/ Dallas, San Diego, Las Vegas, The State of Wyoming, Colorado Springs, heck, even Albuquerque. There is still a massive draw to the MWC. Plus, add Nevada and we get the state of Nevada. Add Fresno and we get northern Cali, and maybe even Houston, for another big Texas city.

Did you not read the article? There is a big penalty to leave the WAC. So forget Nevada and Fresno. Plus, I bet Boise st. backs out now. They can renege without penalty. This is the end of the MWC. Watch every team make a run for the WAC, starting with SDS and UNLV.
I'd like to hear a confirmation of that penalty contract. I have a hard time believing certain WAC teams would sign anything like that. The SLC Trib doesn't even cite a source. They say ESPN and then the link goes to ESPN's front page...

"The espn.com report indicated that the Mountain West approached both Fresno State and Nevada about leaving the WAC and joining the MWC. But such a move could be tricky: the remaining WAC schools last week signed a five-year agreement that requires a $5 million buyout for any school seeking to leave the WAC during that span."

Why were there no reports on that contract when it was signed a week ago?