Interesting Candidate

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

After the game, somebody threw out an interesting name for head coach, Mike Leach.

Do you think UW would pony up the bucks to bring a native son back to Wyoming? He may not have the most spectacular teams, but he built TT up from nothing, and at a minimum his O is exciting. How about a Leach O, and a Breske D (forgetting about today)? Can people ignore the fact that he coached at BYU? People have been throwing out Norm Chow's name, so I am assuming they can.

If I am AD, Mike Leach and Joe Tiller are my top candidates right now.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I like Major Applewhite as a coach. :twocents:
ImageImageImageImage
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

Major is another good candidate, but definitely a Texas boy at heart. I want somebody that knows Wyoming culture and can understand why we choose to live here, and can embrace our way of thinking (something Joe does a good job of, but doesn't seem to be able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag). I think Major would be a one or two and gone type of coach, but if we can win under him, I am all for it.
skiwyoming
Buckaroo

Am I missing something - Mike Leach from Texas Tech.

A BYU grad - a big 12 head coach right now - I would love to see this happen - but it won't.

Here is a thought - Randy Welniak, who is good friends with Burman comes back. Did he come back so that he could become part of the team when the new coaching staff is named?
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Here is an idea for the OC play calling. Raffle the game day job off to a fan. Sell raffle tickets to collect money for the new head coach. Because Cole seems to be rather worthless at this point. Hell, someone calling plays randomly cant do as bad. Hell, the offense may find a spark. LOL.
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

You want big time coach, you go beg Amex for the dough. Couple or three million might make an accomplished coach come in here. Money talks, BS walks, and there is already enough BS piled up around here.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

skiwyoming wrote:Am I missing something - Mike Leach from Texas Tech.

A BYU grad - a big 12 head coach right now - I would love to see this happen - but it won't.

Here is a thought - Randy Welniak, who is good friends with Burman comes back. Did he come back so that he could become part of the team when the new coaching staff is named?
He is from Cody. I know it is a long shot, but if UW wants to keep up with TCUs, BYUs, and Utards of the MWC they need to pony up the bucks. Especially with all the attention the conference is garnering. If the MWC adds Boise and Fresno to make the conference an automatic BCS bid, a $250,000 salary isn't going to cut it.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't see Leach leaving TT. Why leave the recruiting hot bed of Texas? I realize that serious money could possibly hire him here but I don't see us ponying up that kind of dough. He has built Tech into probably the 2nd best team in Texas.

I continue to think we need a younger "go getter", a guy like Skip Holtz at ECU. I also like Brady Hoke at Ball state. Done some great things there to. Hell, let's get Greg Brandon back to our sidelines as HC. He obviously learned something under Paul Roach.
Last edited by Cornpoke on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm good for 3!
powellpoke
Buckaroo

Leach isn't coming here. But here's a name for ya-Frank Solich. Why not? And older coach who might not mind putting roots down somewhere. He was a success at Nebraska (except in the eyes of the AD and a few others). Wyoming would be an upgrade from Ohio and would have a lot more resources at his disposal.

And would it be worth $0.10 a minute to give Sonny Lubick a call? Just sayin...
Go Pokes!!! :thumb:
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times

PokeNer wrote:Major is another good candidate, but definitely a Texas boy at heart. I want somebody that knows Wyoming culture and can understand why we choose to live here, and can embrace our way of thinking (something Joe does a good job of, but doesn't seem to be able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag). I think Major would be a one or two and gone type of coach, but if we can win under him, I am all for it.
As I Wyoming native, I say f-word all of that. I want someone who wants to win with a passion, and I don't care where he's from, as long as he's driven to win the right way, can recruit, and can put up W's. The whole whiny ass "we want a Wyoming type guy" crapola is why we're in this predicament....we got what we wanted.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

I believe Leach make's about 1.4 mil a year, about 800,000 to 900,000 more than Glenn.
wyocowboy
Buckaroo

I say lets pony up and get the best we can get here. I would go along with any name that has been mentioned. I would like to see Holtz come here and take over and maybe have a little influence from his father wouldn't hurt.
Go Pokes!!!