Why not the Spread?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

There was a lot of talk about Cole running some version of the spread offense when he got here but we're not seeing it much if at all. I understand wanting to take advantage of "Thunder and Lightning" by emphasizing the run first, pass second. And based on Moore's numbers (102 ypg) it appears he's heading for a 1,000 yard plus season. These are great numbers for Devin but those yards make up the majority of our total rushing yardage per game (161).

Where production falls apart is obviously in the passing game where we are averaging a meager 107 ypg. Now this ends up a dismal 268 total yard average per game compared to our opponents (326 ypg). OK so no new revelation that the Pokes aren't producing on offense but the question is, why is the offense not working and what should they do about it?

We simply do not have the horses on the line for a sustained running game because they can't hold their blocks for an effective passing game. So why not utilize Seldon and Moore in the slot and spread out to a four or five receiver formation and start emphasizing a pass first run second mentality ala Mike Leach at Texas Tech. We don't need to average 50 plus passes per game like they do, but as much as they throw they have still developed and effective running game over the years. Because it was set up by the massive amount of passing they do (Tiller ring a bell).

Moore and Seldon will still get their yards and we would see much more opportunity to get the ball into the hands of our other best athletes, namely Bolling, Leonard and Morgan. And we won't have to put up with watching our opponents stacking the D-line with 7 or 8 players and we can manage the pass rush and blitzing way better since we should be getting rid of the ball sooner.

Remember the one-step drop back quick pass that always guaranteed 4 or 5 yards during the Roach era? We need it back because the O-line would be able to hold a block at least that long. Basically the spread allows a less talented and/or smaller o-line to be more effective since each play should take less time to complete.

Since we can't seem to overcome our weaknesses, lets play to our strengths. Throw, throw, throw! And finally, the spread is just more damn exciting to watch. If were going to lose, let's at least be entertained.

Get 'em Pokes!!
Me, I'm spiritually retarded, I need to be knee deep in water with a fly rod in my hands, that's about as close to God as I get.
"Steve Earle"
CowboyRoo
Buckaroo

I don't think throwing or catching are our strengths now. I would not mind this style in the future but we threw it something like 30 times on saturday and had 4 drops that i remember off the top of my head. Bolling had a drop and another pass hit him in the hands and it was intercepted. So i am not sure he is our play maker. I don't know who is.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I would agree...throwing and catching are not our strengths this year. Our QB's are afraid to throw the ball, and when they do, our stone-fingered WR's can't catch it.

Like a poster said earlier...bring back the BONE!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

My point though is our o-line cannot run block any better than they pass block. Moore is getting much of his yardage without their help. Doesn't a wishbone require a quick and athletic group of lineman to pull and counter on a consistent basis? Kind of like Air Force.

My premise is that if we spread the offense, the qb's get less pressure and more receiving options putting less pressure on the line. At least this year with this line.
Me, I'm spiritually retarded, I need to be knee deep in water with a fly rod in my hands, that's about as close to God as I get.
"Steve Earle"
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

For better or worse we are stuck with the offense that was implemented at this point. In all truthfullness it takes more than 1 offseason to implement a new offense anyway. Most coach's start with the basics and slowly add to it as time goes on. Auburn installed the spread offense and is going through some growing pains right now. Still scoring more than we are but that's not my point.

I am guessing from what I have heard that Cole tried to tailor what he installed to our players hoping he could add to it throughout the season and then moreso next spring. Problem is that hasn't work, now we are in a bit of a fix. Personally I think we can move the ball well enough to score points and make a game of it against most opponents if we could win the turnover battle but thats just my opinion.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
scottishboywy
Buckaroo

I think our biggest weakness on the offense are the WR's. Then add that to a offensive line that can't keep the pressure off of our 4 different QB's. Not good on that side of the ball. Not good at all.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I can't even begin to answer this except with a BIG NO. Running a true spread is as hard as running the triple option/flexbone. We turn the ball over running SIMPLE PLAYS!! Imagine how lost we would look running the spread. lol. Like I have preached, our QB should under center EVERY PLAY.
I'm good for 3!
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

Cornpoke wrote:I can't even begin to answer this except with a BIG NO. Running a true spread is as hard as running the triple option/flexbone. We turn the ball over running SIMPLE PLAYS!! Imagine how lost we would look running the spread. lol. Like I have preached, our QB should under center EVERY PLAY.
You mean like how Dennis Erickson took over a program running a wishbone for years and instantly converted it to his "Air Express" spread offense that went 6-6 his first and only year at Wyoming? Like that true spread? I've seen a dozen versions of the spread, which one is true?
The challenge is timing patterns and down field blocking schemes, good god can it be any worse than what were doing now?
"Steve Earle"
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

GetRealMan wrote: You mean like how Dennis Erickson took over a program running a wishbone for years and instantly converted it to his "Air Express" spread offense that went 6-6 his first and only year at Wyoming? Like that true spread? I've seen a dozen versions of the spread, which one is true?
The challenge is timing patterns and down field blocking schemes, good god can it be any worse than what were doing now?
Its true that football has certain catchy phrases, spread offense, west coast offense, etc. While you can see a similarity with all teams that run a "spread offense" if you look close you can see lots of variation as well. To be honest I think any decent offense is hard to fully install everything in one offseason, but no offense is so hard that you can't get the basics and essentials in and should be able to have a functional offense by opening day. Would it be possible to change offense's mid season without completely falling apart? I doubt it. Right now we have the offense we have, Cole needs to work with the players we have and find away to succeed. I actually don't have a problem with most of the play calling last week, they did open things up. The turnovers just killed us though. Limit the mistakes and don't be too conservative and I have seen enough glimpses of success that I know this offense can make things happen. Are we going to score 50 points a game, not likely but with out defense if we could get 24-28 a game I would think we should be in most games from here on out!
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

Snowman_55 wrote:
GetRealMan wrote: You mean like how Dennis Erickson took over a program running a wishbone for years and instantly converted it to his "Air Express" spread offense that went 6-6 his first and only year at Wyoming? Like that true spread? I've seen a dozen versions of the spread, which one is true?
Its true that football has certain catchy phrases, spread offense, west coast offense, etc. While you can see a similarity with all teams that run a "spread offense" if you look close you can see lots of variation as well. To be honest I think any decent offense is hard to fully install everything in one offseason, but no offense is so hard that you can't get the basics and essentials in and should be able to have a functional offense by opening day. Would it be possible to change offense's mid season without completely falling apart? I doubt it. Right now we have the offense we have, Cole needs to work with the players we have and find away to succeed. I actually don't have a problem with most of the play calling last week, they did open things up. The turnovers just killed us though. Limit the mistakes and don't be too conservative and I have seen enough glimpses of success that I know this offense can make things happen. Are we going to score 50 points a game, not likely but with out defense if we could get 24-28 a game I would think we should be in most games from here on out!
I agree with you Snowman that execution has been our nemesis to this point. I just think most of the execution errors can be traced to the pressure the qb is getting from the rush. Regardless of the offensive scheme, we need lineman who can block, and if they can't we need to get rid of the ball.
"Steve Earle"