I wish we had our 87-88 teams this year

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

I wish that we had the talent that we had on our 87 and 88 football teams this year. Right now we would be 5-0 or 4-1 (worst case), heading for NM with a backup qb for them, looking at Utah coming in for homecoming at 6-0. The war would be packed! God, I would have been really looking forward to that Tenn game with the way they have played this year. We wouldn't be talking about the crap we are right now. We would all be discussing which bowl we were headed to. Sure miss those days.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

7220Fan wrote:I wish that we had the talent that we had on our 87 and 88 football teams this year. Right now we would be 5-0 or 4-1 (worst case), heading for NM with a backup qb for them, looking at Utah coming in for homecoming at 6-0. The war would be packed! God, I would have been really looking forward to that Tenn game with the way they have played this year. We wouldn't be talking about the crap we are right now. We would all be discussing which bowl we were headed to. Sure miss those days.
I miss them too...I miss the 90's as well, we had some solid teams! That is why this season is so taxing...we are long, long, long overdue for at least 8 wins & a bowl game...and at least competing in every game we play! It has been 9 years...of frustrating football...although the first few with Glenn showed promise!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wyoforlife
Buckaroo

You guys are lucky, I have only been seriously following the Pokes since the year before Glenns hiring. Atleast you have those memories, the only thing I have is a bowl win over UCLA. They have literally sucked the entire time I have followed them. Hey, the only way to go, is up I suppose, or stay the same, or go down...
"They're a bunch of jealous little dicks who use the anonymity of the internet to insult people who're doing what they wish they were doing." ~ Holden McNeil
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

wyoforlife wrote:You guys are lucky, I have only been seriously following the Pokes since the year before Glenns hiring. Atleast you have those memories, the only thing I have is a bowl win over UCLA. They have literally sucked the entire time I have followed them. Hey, the only way to go, is up I suppose, or stay the same, or go down...
Sometimes I think it is lucky...sometimes not (as in this case...how frustrating the last 9 years have been). If you ever have the chance to get your hands on "A Million Cheers" to read, I would highly recommend it. It highlights everything Wyoming football...from the inception until just recently (Tiller days).
Dear Karma,

wyoforlife
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:
wyoforlife wrote:You guys are lucky, I have only been seriously following the Pokes since the year before Glenns hiring. Atleast you have those memories, the only thing I have is a bowl win over UCLA. They have literally sucked the entire time I have followed them. Hey, the only way to go, is up I suppose, or stay the same, or go down...
Sometimes I think it is lucky...sometimes not (as in this case...how frustrating the last 9 years have been). If you ever have the chance to get your hands on "A Million Cheers" to read, I would highly recommend it. It highlights everything Wyoming football...from the inception until just recently (Tiller days).
Yea, I have only seen the book one time, on Amazon, and they wanted an ungodly amount for it, I want to say over $150. I kind of always "followed" them, but never to the extent that I do now. I just hope and pray, that sometime soon, they start kicking ass!
"They're a bunch of jealous little dicks who use the anonymity of the internet to insult people who're doing what they wish they were doing." ~ Holden McNeil
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

McPeachy wrote:
I have the book! And I have a copy of the 1988 Highlights VHS tape called "Rocky Mountain Thunder."

If we had our 1988 team right now, we be talking about which BCS bowl we would be playing at.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Nice! I have not seen that video tape...
Dear Karma,

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

McPeachy wrote:Nice! I have not seen that video tape...
It has some gret moments. Roach and Welnaik are both on there talking about the season. Welnaik was on during the AFA highlights. The game highlights coming from actual radi broadcatsts of games by Dave Walsh and George Kay, both of whom I've met years ago.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
siliconvalleycowboy
Buckaroo

What is a VHS tape? :lol:

Pretty sad our most recent highlights are on such a dated media
What do you mean funny? Funny how? Like I'm a clown? I amuse you?
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

siliconvalleycowboy wrote:What is a VHS tape? :lol:

Pretty sad our most recent highlights are on such a dated media
No offense but IMO the Vegas bowl was a quality win and a good highlight regardless of how average our team was going into that game. I'm glad I saw it in person! Plus Tiller's team in 96 put together a hell of a season, and its not like we haven't beat a quality team in 20 years. Granted we are way overdue for a 10 win season and a MWC title, but for as frustrating as it gets at times there is no other college football team I would choose to support as I do with the Pokes.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Speaking of those teams, I was in Undine park, near my house and this Dad and his young son were in the park, his son wanted to come throw Frisbee with my dog. Well he introduces himself, and I forgot his DAMN NAME but he was a receiver for the '87 team. He seemed as frustrated as I was with the season we are having. He was telling me back when he played they scored A LOT of points and most games were shootouts. He didn't seem to have answer either as to why we can't get some more points on the board. I asked him if he had considered helping out the team but was too busy with other things (being a dad i presume)

Anyone have a list of our receivers from '87? Frustrates me I couldn't remember his name. I'm just so damn bad with names!
I'm good for 3!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

As fun as bowl games are, anyone remember what happened to us in the bowl games previous to UCLA? A whipping by Kansas State, and throttled by Barry Sanders. Eek!
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

MrTitleist wrote:As fun as bowl games are, anyone remember what happened to us in the bowl games previous to UCLA? A whipping by Kansas State, and throttled by Barry Sanders. Eek!
When I saw Hawaii get throttled by UGA in last year's Sugar Bowl, it brought back painful memories of the 1988 Holiday Bowl and 1993 Copper Bowl Massacres.
charliepathetic
Buckaroo

Same kind of story with me. I started following the Pokes when I started school there in '97. Not a whole lot of success to speak of since then.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

I've followed Wyoming Football since 1986.

The games I've been to are:
1990 vs. Arkansas State, 34-27 w.
1990 vs. San Diego State, 52-51 W.
1992 @ Texas Tech, 32-49 L.
1995 @ Tulsa, 6-35 L. (I was super embarrassed by this loss)
1997 @ SMU, 17-22 L. (the Cotton Bowl was a joke)
2003 @ Oklahoma State, 24-48 L.
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

wyokie - you are 2-4. Quit going to games. Its your fault! lol
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote:Speaking of those teams, I was in Undine park, near my house and this Dad and his young son were in the park, his son wanted to come throw Frisbee with my dog. Well he introduces himself, and I forgot his DAMN NAME but he was a receiver for the '87 team. He seemed as frustrated as I was with the season we are having. He was telling me back when he played they scored A LOT of points and most games were shootouts. He didn't seem to have answer either as to why we can't get some more points on the board. I asked him if he had considered helping out the team but was too busy with other things (being a dad i presume)

Anyone have a list of our receivers from '87? Frustrates me I couldn't remember his name. I'm just so damn bad with names!
I will look around...I know there was James Loving, Crandell Mack, amongst quite a few others...maybe Shawn Wiggins, influences also with Allen Griffin (he played mid 80's I think, signed with the Lions and got hurt)...
Dear Karma,

kahunapoke
Buckaroo

Scott Joseph is the WR in question. Lives and Laramie
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

kahunapoke wrote:Scott Joseph is the WR in question. Lives and Laramie
Ahhh yes...Scott Joseph. Anyone know what he does in Laramie?
Dear Karma,

kahunapoke
Buckaroo

Teaches at the Cathedral Home.