Plugging the Middle

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

From the Laramie Boomerang

Plugging the middle

By Bob Hammond
Boomerang Sports Editor

It won’t take long for Wyoming’s young defensive front to get tested. It will come, and again some, in the 2007 season opener against Virginia Saturday in War Memorial Stadium.

Since the ACC Cavaliers have an inexperienced wide receiver corps, a big offensive line with all five starters returning, three returning tight ends, a super-size fullback in Rashawn Jackson (254 pounds) and an experienced running back in Cedric Peerman, it would only make sense that Virginia would try to “hoss it up” and run right at the Cowboys.

On paper, it would appear that Wyoming might be vulnerable up front with an all-sophomore defensive line consisting of end Mike Unrein, tackle John Fletcher and noseguard Fred Givens. And as defensive fronts go, the trio is not all that big with Givens weighing in at 306 pounds, Fletcher at 274 and Unrein at 261.

“Based on what they lost (from last year) and the fact they have three outstanding tight ends and a veteran offensive line, it wouldn’t surprise us at all if they put the ball in the hands of their running backs,” said Wyoming defensive line coach Lance Robinson. “They will get behind those big guys and try and run over us because of our youth. But they still have to come out and do it. We’ll be ready for the challenge.”

The key to stopping the run, especially inside the tackles, will be Givens and fellow noseguards Rob Hollway and Ben Smith. They will be responsible for holding down the middle well enough that Wyoming’s top-notch linebacker corps can make tackles.

“The noseguard is a run-stopper first,” said UW defensive coordinator Mike Breske. “It’s critical for us to be able to stop the run in terms of our 3-4 defense, The noseguard has to be the guy who can play the ‘A’ gap (over center), not get pushed back, kind of really secure it and bounce the plays outside.”

“The noseguard has to take away the center. He has to plug up the middle and make sure the center and the guards don’t get to our linebackers,” Robinson added. “Their responsibility is to keep the center off-balance, keep the pressure on him so that maybe he will make a bad snap and force a turnover.”

Givens is the only Cowboy noseguard with any game experience even though it was somewhat limited. He played in all 12 of Wyoming’s games last year as a redshirt freshman in a backup role to senior Jake Mayes. He finished the season with 12 tackles. The former Chickasha (Okla.) prep standout will be making his first career start against Virginia.

“Obviously, Fred has more experience and he’ll be our frontline guy,” Robinson said. “Rob, being a junior, knows our system a little bit better than Ben (Smith), so he’s earned the right to get in the game. And Ben has done a great job and is steadily been getting better. They give us a nice option at the position. Guys are going to get dinged now and then, but the bottom line is that all three guys are going to play.”

“I’m really excited. The ACC is good competition and I’m ready for the challenge,” Givens said. “Everybody on the defense is ready for it.”

The fact the Cowboys will be going up against a big Cavalier offensive line and having a pair of big backs running right at him is of no consequence to Givens.

“They’re just big but everybody is big now anymore,” Givens said. “Bring on the challenge, we’re ready for it.”

Meanwhile Hollway and Smith will be seeing their first game action at a new position. Hollway spent his first two years with the Cowboys as a defensive end, while Smith was an offensive center. Both were moved to noseguard last spring and have adapted well to their new situation.

“I like it a lot,” Hollway said. “I’m used to playing the three technique (defensive end) where you are rushing from the edge more,” Hollway said. “At noseguard, you’re taking on double teams and trying to beat run blocks. It makes it more difficult in the middle trying to take on run blocks. My job is to open the field more so other guys can make plays.”

And Hollway knows that will be a huge challenge come Saturday.

“Virginia has a great offensive line,” Hollway said. “They are fast and everyone’s returning. We are expecting a great challenge … it’s ACC football. “I would imagine that they will try to run the ball on us early to see what they can do. We should be prepared though and ready for the challenge. Right now, I’m just ready to start hitting someone else besides our offense.”

Just how Robinson and Breske choose to rotate their noseguards is something that won’t be determined until the Cowboys get into the heat of battle.

“We’ll always rotate, but a lot depends on the scenario, down and distance and that type of thing,” Breske added.
ImageImageImageImage