Realistically, who would be the best fit for UW football?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

From Joe Glenn to Tommy Bowden & beyond...what are the real names, that would come in and take UW football to the next level?

Turner Gill? Norm Chow? Joe Glenn? Dan Mullen? Greg Brandon? John L. Smith? Brady Hoke? Greg Davis?Who do you all think is on TB's short list for replacements? Surely he has a list, right? Can we all agree we need a real bad-ass go-getter type?

By the way, I hate the comparisons of Glenn & Vic...Vic might have had a worst winning %, but his teams were largely competitive...something JG & Staff have not done in 4 of 5 losses this year (I say that as we were competitive against AFA in the first half).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I just saw that Bill Cowher's name was listed as potential replacement for the Clemson position. Dreaming...but damn it would be fun to have him here!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8672 ... ire-Bowden
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

Before we start naming names, I think we have to find out how much money we are willing to pay. If the boys in Cheyenne help etc... the bigger the name. I think Turner Gill would come in with what they are paying Joe cause he would just about double what he is making now.
brownngold
Buckaroo

Personally I think Gill would be a great choice. His ties to Nebraska and Texas could benefit recruiting.
He's worked under some great coaches in his career, and tends to develop his offense around his players instead of trying to mold players into a preset offense
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

John L. Smith would make sense since he's from Montana (right?). Another interesting name is Mike Van Diest from Carroll College. 4 or 5 NAIA national championships, used to coach at WY. Turner Gill would be a nice choice.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

MrTitleist wrote:John L. Smith would make sense since he's from Montana (right?). Another interesting name is Mike Van Diest from Carroll College. 4 or 5 NAIA national championships, used to coach at WY. Turner Gill would be a nice choice.
I hope Burman doesn't go after John L. Smith. Heard a lot of bad things about him. A huge crybaby.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

First of all, I am still hoping for a turn around and for Glenn to keep his job, but 2 more losses and this season is over, yeah I know, but I still have to hope for something.

I've been admiring what Calhoun has done at Air Force, so another Broncos coach, OC & QB coach Jeremy Bates has been on my mind lately. Young guy, could bring in Pro preparation and Shanahan's philosophy on spacing that has helped Calhoun with the Falcons. As an added plus, maybe it would make Todd Christensen shut his yap during UW games on The Mtn with brother Bates sitting next to him. he is only 32, so I wonder about his experience a little, but being younger could be a plus as well.

Breske as HC has potential, his players are accountable on D.

I like Turner Gill as well.

When we do change coaches, we just need the best guy available, I will be disappointed if we don't aggressively (as in top MWC money) go after the best coaches available, we need to turn this thing around right away, not a discount coach.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

TKoehn wrote:First of all, I am still hoping for a turn around and for Glenn to keep his job, but 2 more losses and this season is over, yeah I know, but I still have to hope for something.

I've been admiring what Calhoun has done at Air Force, so another Broncos coach, OC & QB coach Jeremy Bates has been on my mind lately. Young guy, could bring in Pro preparation and Shanahan's philosophy on spacing that has helped Calhoun with the Falcons. As an added plus, maybe it would make Todd Christensen shut his yap during UW games on The Mtn with brother Bates sitting next to him. he is only 32, so I wonder about his experience a little, but being younger could be a plus as well.

Breske as HC has potential, his players are accountable on D.

I like Turner Gill as well.

When we do change coaches, we just need the best guy available, I will be disappointed if we don't aggressively (as in top MWC money) go after the best coaches available, we need to turn this thing around right away, not a discount coach.
I agree with you completely. The camp that looks for a HC that is a "Wyoming Boy" or that will build our program "for the long run" are a bit delusional (in a positive way). I know they can point at Sonny at CSU and say we can get a guy that can do that for the Pokes. But, honestly, what percentage of the FBS coaches are really that guy for their program and what are the realistic odds that we find a guy like that? I realize that if we throw $3mil at a decent coach we could have him for as long as we want/need him. But then it goes back to the question, how many coaches out there are worth that kind of money up front that would come to Wyoming and put their heart and soul into a program that they have no ties to?
kahunapoke
Buckaroo

Wyokie wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:John L. Smith would make sense since he's from Montana (right?). Another interesting name is Mike Van Diest from Carroll College. 4 or 5 NAIA national championships, used to coach at WY. Turner Gill would be a nice choice.
I hope Burman doesn't go after John L. Smith. Heard a lot of bad things about him. A huge crybaby.

Never heard that one about John L. a little weird and eccentric but a cry baby?hmm Okie you better choose your friends more carefully ;) Look what he did at USU and Louisville. He even took Mich St to a bowl game. He probably shouldn't have left Louisville. If he can get some of right assistants (see Joe Glenn) he could turn this ship around.

Van Diest - former cowboy but its a huge leap from NAIA to DI. I don't think he can be sucessfull making(maybe in 10 yrs) the transition at UW. We need a DI coach with DI contacts.
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

Now these are a couple interesting candidates. I'm not the biggest fan of John L. Smith. He may be a good fit at UW, though. He did an awesome job at L'ville and had didn't do that bad of a job at MSU.
Turner Gill is the ideal choice, IMO. Buffalo was one of the worst college football teams in the country but Turner went there and has made them a competitive team. He would do a great job building Wyoming back up to respectability.
Colt Brennan= Future Hall of Famer!!!!!!!!!
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote:
I heard he doesn't take responsiblity for losing. He loves to point the blame at others, especially the zebras.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
I heard he doesn't take responsiblity for losing. He loves to point the blame at others, especially the zebras.
Still remember the Michigan State @ Hawaii game that was on ESPN back in 2005. Michigan State kept shooting themselves in the foot the entire game.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote:
uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Still remember the Michigan State @ Hawaii game that was on ESPN back in 2005. Michigan State kept shooting themselves in the foot the entire game.
Got that right. I never seen a team hold like that for an entire game. Chad Owens had like 300+ all-purpose yds too.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Well....back on topic here.

Any other suggestions? I love to see Mike Leach here but there 'aint NO way that'll happen.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Well, if you want a true Spread Offense guy, here's a name for all of ya. Mike Stoops. After watching the team for a couple years now, I have a feeling he's going to be available this offseason, especially after the Stanford game last weekend. He has turned a crappy team in a good conference into a decent team (with not the greatest talent) in a good conference. He knows how to run a defense, and has turned the Wildcat offense into one of the top units in the nation, with a QB that you could put into the mix at Wyoming, and he'd probably be fighting for his job.

On the recruiting note, he's got the Oklahoma/Texas/California ties, so that would help there. While I don't think it'll happen, I think he'd be a good fit, if he becomes available.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Just curious, any idea what he is making now?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

WYCowboy wrote:Just curious, any idea what he is making now?
According to Coaches Hot seat, it's $1,025,000
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

The State of Wyoming needs to start a "Play Football Wyoming" Campaign to get all HS kids in Wyoming interested in football, I can't understand how some kids (with potential) today just don't care about football.

Then, the University needs to start a first class Coaching Football Curriculum that will teach future HS coaches in the state how to best coach football fundamentals and the finer points. But it could also be a hotbed of future college football coaches with ties to Wyoming. Tiller, Glenn, Roach, whoever, could be advisors to the faculty. Also all current players could take the class for credits and get a better understanding of the game.

It would be a chance for Academia to help the Athletics.

Just a thought.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

Best fit for UW? The Big Sky Conference.

Wyoming high school players can't get excited about Cowboy football when the vast majority of their recruits are not from Wyoming. Many of the very best Wyoming high school players have taken their game to smaller programs in other states after being passed over by UW recruiters because they "aren't good enough" to play at UW's level. :wtf:

You want more buns in the seats win or lose, rain or shine? Put Wyoming kids on the field.

If you build it, they will come.

Need an example, please ask. I will post a pic of a packed Washington/Grizzly Stadium if you so desire.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Personally i don't give a crap where the players come from. When they enroll at wyoming and put on the brown and gold they become Wyoming Cowboys. Sure i love the homegrown talents that have done well here. Wendling, the Bramlets, Prosinski, Betschart, those guys always mean a little more. However, if we dropped down just so we can play more wyoming kids i know i would stop going to caring as much about wyoming football and would have to find a new favorite team. I might go to a game or two but i know i wouldn't buy season tickets. If you're not competing against the best then whats the point.