If a new coach next season -- who are your top names?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

One guy who I like an awful lot is the defensive coordinator at Washington, Justin Wilcox.

Watched Washington last night in their game against Oregon, Huskies are actually pretty good football team, but most teams are completely overwhelmed by the Ducks speed & physicality.

Wilcox has thrown some really nice defensive game plans out against opponents in the past...if I was choosing a coach, considering where we play I'd want a tough defensive minded HC...Wilcox is intriguing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Wil ... ball_coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-footb ... tin00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

For speculations sake.....here is my hypothetical list. Don't get your panties in a bunch folks....we're just speculating...it happens on message boards.

And yes, I realize some of these might not be the most realistic picks. But hey, this time last year Jim McElwain to CSU seemed optimistic too.

Justin Wilcox, DC, Washington
Todd Monken, OC, Oklahoma State
Mike MacIntyre, HC, San Jose State
Mark Hudspeth, HC, Louisiana-Lafayette
Chad Morris, OC, Clemson
Beau Baldwin, HC, Eastern Washington
Kirby Smart, DC, Alabama (Grand slam hire)
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Nice list JRod, I like em all...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

No more experiments. I don't have names right now, but enough of the "projects."
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:No more experiments. I don't have names right now, but enough of the "projects."
Nick Saban, Les Miles, Mack Brown, Lane Kiffin, names like that ain't walking through that door anytime soon.

Throw out some names...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

All assistants are gambles......some are Chris Petersen, Sonny Dykes, and Gary Anderson. Others are Norm Chow, Ellis Johnson, and Jim McElwain (so far). You can never know for sure. That's just the reality of college football. If it was an exact science, nobody would make bad hires....
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 48 times

J-Rod wrote:All assistants are gambles......some are Chris Petersen, Sonny Dykes, and Gary Anderson. Others are Norm Chow, Ellis Johnson, and Jim McElwain (so far). You can never know for sure. That's just the reality of college football. If it was an exact science, nobody would make bad hires....
Sadly you're right.

Bobby Petrino would be good except for the fact he tried to go the same route as Bill Clinton. On the flip side, everyone deserves a second chance.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
djm19
WyoNation Addict

DINOCOSTA wrote:
djm19 wrote:No more experiments. I don't have names right now, but enough of the "projects."
Nick Saban, Les Miles, Mack Brown, Lane Kiffin, names like that ain't walking through that door anytime soon.

Throw out some names...
I can't throw out "names" per se, but maybe a "name."

How about Dino Costa.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:All assistants are gambles......some are Chris Petersen, Sonny Dykes, and Gary Anderson. Others are Norm Chow, Ellis Johnson, and Jim McElwain (so far). You can never know for sure. That's just the reality of college football. If it was an exact science, nobody would make bad hires....
Sadly you're right.

Bobby Petrino would be good except for the fact he tried to go the same route as Bill Clinton. On the flip side, everyone deserves a second chance.
How many second chances is Petrino going to get?

My list:
Major Applewhite
Dave Doeren
Brent Pease
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote: How many second chances is Petrino going to get?

My list:
Major Applewhite
Dave Doeren
Brent Pease
Doeren is tearing it up at NIU....Smith fits perfectly into that system. Hell, he might be the ultimate QB in that offense.

I was gonna say Pease too, but I fear he's just good at reading other people's Denny's menus if you know what I mean.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Any former UW player who could? I know Anderson is high on Bouknight. Doubt he is HC quality yet.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:
DINOCOSTA wrote:

Throw out some names...
I can't throw out "names" per se, but maybe a "name."

How about Dino Costa.

That guy Dino would be my choice to step in for our outstanding broadcast radio voice, Dave Walsh, if Dave for any reason needed a day off...but to coach?

Memo to that Dino guy: Don't quit your day job, Bud.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I said it when we were last looking for a coach but I still believe Gary Barnett would have been the best choice for us. His recruiting connections would have been a big plus and his ability to hire quality assistants as well. At this point he has been out of coaching too long.

Other than Petrino and a few others, I've barely heard of any of the guys listed in this thread. I'm not fond of the idea of hiring a promising assistant and "hoping" they can get the job done. Because if they do they will leave at the first opportunity and if they don't we continue to suffer. Which brings me back to my point, let's hire a quality head coach who is in the moonlight of his career and not looking to Wyo as a stepping stone. One who still has recruiting ties and is able to hire quality assistants. It's worked out pretty well for K-state bringing back Snyder. I also think Bob Davie was an excellent choice for New Mexico. It was a splash hire that brought some much needed attention to a New Mexico program and if he has success, I doubt he leaves. I must admit I'm eager to see if it works for UNM
I'm good for 3!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Cornpoke wrote:I said it when we were last looking for a coach but I still believe Gary Barnett would have been the best choice for us. His recruiting connections would have been a big plus and his ability to hire quality assistants as well. At this point he has been out of coaching too long.

Other than Petrino and a few others, I've barely heard of any of the guys listed in this thread. I'm not fond of the idea of hiring a promising assistant and "hoping" they can get the job done. Because if they do they will leave at the first opportunity and if they don't we continue to suffer. Which brings me back to my point, let's hire a quality head coach who is in the moonlight of his career and not looking to Wyo as a stepping stone. One who still has recruiting ties and is able to hire quality assistants. It's worked out pretty well for K-state bringing back Snyder. I also think Bob Davie was an excellent choice for New Mexico. It was a splash hire that brought some much needed attention to a New Mexico program and if he has success, I doubt he leaves. I must admit I'm eager to see if it works for UNM
You caught my attention with this mention of Gary Barnett...I just wonder how motivated he is at this point, he's been calling college football on TV, out of the game a while now, have to wonder if the candle still burns for him at the age of 66.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I say this only to be realistic and not to be negative. Laramie is a tough place to live for wyoming natives let alone a quality head coach who could get a job elsewhere. Wyoming is a hard place to recruit, wyoming is a hard place to live, overall Laramie just isn't a big sell.

I think just about every coach we get will either be inexperienced at the D1 level or only have marginal success. To be honest, even if Coach C left the program or was fired, the next head coach offer would probably go to Greg Brandon. He had success at Bowling Green as a HC, we wouldn't change offensive scheme, and he seems to like Laramie enough to come back a second time around.

and for the record, I don't see him leaving or getting fired this season. Two bowl games in four years is a step in the right direction even if it isn't as big of a step as we would like. The admin just ponied up more money to keep him and they aren't going to kiss that investment good bye one season after giving a raise.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Petrino.
Please! Look at what ryan mallet did at arkansas, and the dude to follow him up, tyler wilson.
Brett Smith under that guy..... would be a bad ass offense
but wait brett smith under christensen is too....
you guys said we aren't even close to a top 25 team even with brett smith but i argue that because if we have a non-ejected, and non-injured brett smith we are 4-1 not 1-4 seriously think about it...

also i mentioned this will look good for HIM for nfl scouts... and you laughed. ok why was that funny? any scout that can do his job and see how important a kid is to his teams success sees that we are one brett smith away from being 4-1, not 1-4
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

Bobby Petrino in a heartbeat, Gus Malzahn in a heartbeat.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 156 times

This thread is gay
W-Y, Until I Die!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Cornpoke wrote: It's worked out pretty well for K-state bringing back Snyder.
Really? Snyder brought back Snyder. Snyder was the athletics director, he fired the last head coach and hired himself again.
And I agree, this thread is truly gay.

This is what adds to the negativity of our program. THIS!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Bobby Petrino. Give him whatever he wants. Hell, I will even help him find a volleyball player to date.

Everywhere he has went (on the college level) he has had success. Wyoming football would see success it has never witnessed if he was brought in. Sure, he is a little sketchy, but there are "gray areas" of all winning programs. Enough of these unproven coordinators and lower-level guys. Unless, of course, you enjoy losing to Cal-Polident. Then by all means, lets keep shuffling these nobodies through Laramie.