Who will it be ?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 124 times

biggpoke wrote:I too need some education on why everyone is on the Ted Gilmore bandwagon. I know he was a good receiver while at Wyoming and has been a fine receivers coach and a recruiting coordinator, but not the experience that I would think would be required of a head coach at this level. I personally think that hiring Ted Gilmore would be a roll of the dice. I'd be intersted in the other names on TB's list.
I will say it again...we need a Household Name HC at UW right now. Period.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

Not Gary Barnett. :twocents:
ImageImageImageImage
armchaircoach
Buckaroo

I think the new interest in John L. Smith is intriguing. He was one of the fathers of the trips and open backfield passing offensive. The guy knows how to throw it and we will look a lot better to him than Utah State.

As far as Ted Gilmore –Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said today that no one from Wyoming has asked him or spoken to him about Gilmore. If we are talking to him I hope that TB would understand that it is common courtesy to ask or at least tell them that we are interested. I am not sure that everyone is that high on him, mostly because he is young (41) and has never been a coordinator. These are very understandable worries and something that I am sure will be taken into consideration. He is considered a rising star in the coaching profession, sometimes that works, sometimes they flame out.

Sounds to me like Burman is looking at coaches that can assemble a great staff as one of his first criteria to be a head coach and then at their level and experience, that’s good. We do not want to repeat the Vic staff with little experience and no recruiting ties.

On another note, just about every assistant in the big twelve is making more than our highest paid assistants. To lure good coaches we will need to pay more —just, a for instance, Gilmore is making $190,000 (base pay, he is also getting some shoe money, clinic money and camp money, possibly another fifty to one-hundred thousand. And he is a middle of the pack, in pay, coach in the big twelve. I think our three coordinators make just a little over one-hundred. Not saying we need to pay Big Twelve money, but we need to get closer, all assistants in the $100,000 to $175,000 range or we will not keep them. Can we get there?

Oh- and McPeachy please answer this post so I can pretend to write as I look at your aviator.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

armchaircoach wrote:
On another note, just about every assistant in the big twelve is making more than our highest paid assistants. To lure good coaches we will need to pay more —just, a for instance, Gilmore is making $190,000 (base pay, he is also getting some shoe money, clinic money and camp money, possibly another fifty to one-hundred thousand. And he is a middle of the pack, in pay, coach in the big twelve. I think our three coordinators make just a little over one-hundred. Not saying we need to pay Big Twelve money, but we need to get closer, all assistants in the $100,000 to $175,000 range or we will not keep them. Can we get there?

That is the difference between teams that can rely on bcs payouts every year and the have-nots (non-bcs).
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.