• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

How do you feel about the QB position

TheRealUW said:
laxwyo said:
Something that might be getting overlooked is how Svboda was recruited. He was like 3rd string on a JUCO team. If he hits, that's some seriously good scouting or just damn lucky.

Svoboda was set to attend UW as a preferred walk on out of high school. Then the pandemic hit and he decided to go to Snow College for a year instead.

The UW coaching staff had eyes on him long before he was at Snow College. His high school stats in Arizona were not particularly impressive. I think the UW coaches saw a QB with good height and above average arm strength and decided to take a flyer on him. 95% of those don't work out. Hopefully, for the fans sake, Svoboda does.
That sounds like a classic Wyoming recruit. Not a big time recruit, but with the potential to develop over a couple of seasons
 
doreno5 said:
TheRealUW said:
Svoboda was set to attend UW as a preferred walk on out of high school. Then the pandemic hit and he decided to go to Snow College for a year instead.

The UW coaching staff had eyes on him long before he was at Snow College. His high school stats in Arizona were not particularly impressive. I think the UW coaches saw a QB with good height and above average arm strength and decided to take a flyer on him. 95% of those don't work out. Hopefully, for the fans sake, Svoboda does.
That sounds like a classic Wyoming recruit. Not a big time recruit, but with the potential to develop over a couple of seasons
He is. But any success he might have is now a double edged sword. The bummer being that if he has a good season with flashes of his elite athleticism, it’s pretty impossible to keep him here another year when millions are being flashed to QBs in the portal.

So the potential payoff with these types of developmental projects no longer appears to be as high.

That said - I really hope he stays healthy and leads Wyoming to a great year next year! We kind of know what we have with Clemons as the backup.
 
OrediggerPoke said:
doreno5 said:
That sounds like a classic Wyoming recruit. Not a big time recruit, but with the potential to develop over a couple of seasons
He is. But any success he might have is now a double edged sword. The bummer being that if he has a good season with flashes of his elite athleticism, it’s pretty impossible to keep him here another year when millions are being flashed to QBs in the portal.

So the potential payoff with these types of developmental projects no longer appears to be as high.

That said - I really hope he stays healthy and leads Wyoming to a great year next year! We kind of know what we have with Clemons as the backup.

He'll be in nfl mini-camp this time next year.
 
ragtimejoe1 said:
OrediggerPoke said:
He is. But any success he might have is now a double edged sword. The bummer being that if he has a good season with flashes of his elite athleticism, it’s pretty impossible to keep him here another year when millions are being flashed to QBs in the portal.

So the potential payoff with these types of developmental projects no longer appears to be as high.

That said - I really hope he stays healthy and leads Wyoming to a great year next year! We kind of know what we have with Clemons as the backup.

MxVhmm.gif

I hope the same, but I'm not sure we know how well Clemons will do. I'm very curious to see how the passing game looks in this new offense.
 
ragtimejoe1 said:
OrediggerPoke said:
He is. But any success he might have is now a double edged sword. The bummer being that if he has a good season with flashes of his elite athleticism, it’s pretty impossible to keep him here another year when millions are being flashed to QBs in the portal.

So the potential payoff with these types of developmental projects no longer appears to be as high.

That said - I really hope he stays healthy and leads Wyoming to a great year next year! We kind of know what we have with Clemons as the backup.

He'll be in nfl mini-camp this time next year.

I know it’s the same old ridiculous schtick you’re stuck on. But to be clear there’s a zero percent chance of that. A guy who has had basically one year of playing time in college at a G5 isn’t leaving early for the NFL under any circumstance. There’s no need to take such a risk when any QB with NFL draft ability will be paid well over $1 million in NIL just to stay in college. I doubt we see any QBs leave early in the future from any college team (Alabama included) who aren’t sure fire first rounders.
 
OrediggerPoke said:
ragtimejoe1 said:
He'll be in nfl mini-camp this time next year.

I know it’s the same old ridiculous schtick you’re stuck on. But to be clear there’s a zero percent chance of that. A guy who has had basically one year of playing time in college at a G5 isn’t leaving early for the NFL under any circumstance. There’s no need to take such a risk when any QB with NFL draft ability will be paid well over $1 million in NIL just to stay in college. I doubt we see any QBs leave early in the future from any college team (Alabama included) who aren’t sure fire first rounders.

Generational talent, again, and makes nfl throws. He's a 1st rounder
 
OrediggerPoke said:
Svoboda is as talented as they come. He’s a generational physical talent; crazy we got 2 of those in a decade. I just hope we are able to develop a capable backup because I suspect we run him quite a bit ala Josh Allen.

The last time I was this high on the QB position was 2016/2017.

:agree:
 
ragtimejoe1 said:
OrediggerPoke said:
I know it’s the same old ridiculous schtick you’re stuck on. But to be clear there’s a zero percent chance of that. A guy who has had basically one year of playing time in college at a G5 isn’t leaving early for the NFL under any circumstance. There’s no need to take such a risk when any QB with NFL draft ability will be paid well over $1 million in NIL just to stay in college. I doubt we see any QBs leave early in the future from any college team (Alabama included) who aren’t sure fire first rounders.

Generational talent, again, and makes nfl throws. He's a 1st rounder

Ok dude.
 
OrediggerPoke said:
ragtimejoe1 said:
He'll be in nfl mini-camp this time next year.

I know it’s the same old ridiculous schtick you’re stuck on. But to be clear there’s a zero percent chance of that. A guy who has had basically one year of playing time in college at a G5 isn’t leaving early for the NFL under any circumstance. There’s no need to take such a risk when any QB with NFL draft ability will be paid well over $1 million in NIL just to stay in college. I doubt we see any QBs leave early in the future from any college team (Alabama included) who aren’t sure fire first rounders.

I don’t agree entirely and NIL does change the formula a little. However, Josh was pretty close to giving the nfl a go after one good season. Not saying Evan is this but like others have said, I’m higher on the qb position now than I’ve been since Josh was coming back from breaking his collar bone. Anderson could be pretty goos and I still think Clemons gets a bad rap for the Boise game even after Peasley had a similarly bad game the next year.
 
laxwyo said:
OrediggerPoke said:
I know it’s the same old ridiculous schtick you’re stuck on. But to be clear there’s a zero percent chance of that. A guy who has had basically one year of playing time in college at a G5 isn’t leaving early for the NFL under any circumstance. There’s no need to take such a risk when any QB with NFL draft ability will be paid well over $1 million in NIL just to stay in college. I doubt we see any QBs leave early in the future from any college team (Alabama included) who aren’t sure fire first rounders.

I don’t agree entirely and NIL does change the formula a little. However, Josh was pretty close to giving the nfl a go after one good season. Not saying Evan is this but like others have said, I’m higher on the qb position now than I’ve been since Josh was coming back from breaking his collar bone. Anderson could be pretty goos and I still think Clemons gets a bad rap for the Boise game even after Peasley had a similarly bad game the next year.

Josh also had a good JUCO season under his belt. But I just don’t see any QB taking a draft risk with just one total season of college starting experience in today’s NIL world. Not enough upside with the NIL downside mitigation. We don’t have to worry about Svoboda declaring whatsoever but we do have to worry about the portal if he performs to his elite physical talent. If he doesn’t live up to his physical talent or he gets injured then that will be a bummer.


I’m with you, I’m as excited about the QB position as I have been since 2017. I’m hoping Anderson is legit too; with spring game being canceled I just haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion.
 
OrediggerPoke said:
laxwyo said:
I don’t agree entirely and NIL does change the formula a little. However, Josh was pretty close to giving the nfl a go after one good season. Not saying Evan is this but like others have said, I’m higher on the qb position now than I’ve been since Josh was coming back from breaking his collar bone. Anderson could be pretty goos and I still think Clemons gets a bad rap for the Boise game even after Peasley had a similarly bad game the next year.

Josh also had a good JUCO season under his belt. But I just don’t see any QB taking a draft risk with just one total season of college starting experience in today’s NIL world. Not enough upside with the NIL downside mitigation. We don’t have to worry about Svoboda declaring whatsoever but we do have to worry about the portal if he performs to his elite physical talent. If he doesn’t live up to his physical talent or he gets injured then that will be a bummer.


I’m with you, I’m as excited about the QB position as I have been since 2017. I’m hoping Anderson is legit too; with spring game being canceled I just haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion.

I agree that we have more to worry with NIL poaching than declaring for draft. Evan could get poached even if he has a Peasley type season. I assume we'll have more passing touchdowns and yards strictly because of the Offensive scheme change. Lots of teams just need competent QB play so throwing offer and some NIL money at a G5 QB isn't any a big deal for some of those programs.
 
Just read an article about Rasada the QB who is suing Florida for more than $13.8 Million because they reneged on his NIL deal. According to the story Florida got him to decommit from Miami who had promised a $9 + Million deal. He is now at Georgia following a season at ASU. No doubt there were NIL deals there as well.

All this is to say that if any G5 team has outstanding college QB with eligibility left, they will be poached by someone willing to pay more NIL money.
 
doreno5 said:
Just read an article about Rasada the QB who is suing Florida for more than $13.8 Million because they reneged on his NIL deal. According to the story Florida got him to decommit from Miami who had promised a $9 + Million deal. He is now at Georgia following a season at ASU. No doubt there were NIL deals there as well.

All this is to say that if any G5 team has outstanding college QB with eligibility left, they will be poached by someone willing to pay more NIL money.

According to the lawsuit Billy Napier got on the phone with Rashada's dad and promised him $1 million on the spot for signing his letter of intent. Just can't believe how college sports has gotten to this point.
 
Poke in New England said:
doreno5 said:
Just read an article about Rasada the QB who is suing Florida for more than $13.8 Million because they reneged on his NIL deal. According to the story Florida got him to decommit from Miami who had promised a $9 + Million deal. He is now at Georgia following a season at ASU. No doubt there were NIL deals there as well.

All this is to say that if any G5 team has outstanding college QB with eligibility left, they will be poached by someone willing to pay more NIL money.

According to the lawsuit Billy Napier got on the phone with Rashada's dad and promised him $1 million on the spot for signing his letter of intent. Just can't believe how college sports has gotten to this point.

Lawsuits started this mess and I'm afraid lawsuits is the only thing going to stop it. I just can't see college football agreeing to anything unless the SEC and Big 10 somehow just break free, set up a framework and get it done.
 
Poke in New England said:
doreno5 said:
Just read an article about Rasada the QB who is suing Florida for more than $13.8 Million because they reneged on his NIL deal. According to the story Florida got him to decommit from Miami who had promised a $9 + Million deal. He is now at Georgia following a season at ASU. No doubt there were NIL deals there as well.

All this is to say that if any G5 team has outstanding college QB with eligibility left, they will be poached by someone willing to pay more NIL money.

According to the lawsuit Billy Napier got on the phone with Rashada's dad and promised him $1 million on the spot for signing his letter of intent. Just can't believe how college sports has gotten to this point.

All of this for a guy who could not even earn a starting spot on a 3 win Pac-12 team. Once the ASU starter went down with an injury, Rashada stepped in for three games and completed 53% of his passes for 4 TD's and 3 interceptions. More of a threat with his legs? Nah - he rushed the ball 14 times for a total of 23 yards in those three games. Whatever ASU paid to get him for one year was almost certainly not worth it given the very limited production he gave them. I cannot believe he ended up at Georgia probably being paid even more than he was at ASU after not proving anything on the field at all.

The NIL market is ridiculously out of control at the moment. The current college football/men's basketball players will never have it better than they do right now. Tons of money given to them with little to no market correction based on their production on the field. I cannot wait until this version of NIL is over. It is not sustainable for long and UW needs to be doing everything they can to position themselves well for NIL 2.0. They cannot compete in NIL 1.0.
 
Back
Top