Wyo @ Utah State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

After watching Utah State against byu and now against csu I feel like we match up well with Utah State.

Utah states offense only scored one touchdown today and against byu there was at least two defensive scores.

Our defense should hold them to a low scoring game but our offense has to take care of the ball.

Hopefully we got healthy over the bye week and are going guns blazing on Logan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Utah State and byu qb situation is bad.

Wyo csu qb situation is good.

Wyoming defense is better than csu.

Wyoming will roll csu at home.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I would love nothing more but I wouldn’t be surprised if csu is a 10 point favorite in that game.

wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:48 pm I would love nothing more but I wouldn’t be surprised if csu is a 10 point favorite in that game.

I'd be fairly shocked if it's not a double digit spread
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

So much depends how much we improve on offense. We need to see big improvements especially in the running game

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Hope I'm wrong but I think Utah St. And CSU will both beat Wyoming.

Think Wyoming has a good shot to finish last in the mountain the more games I watch.

Nevada who I thought was the worst team in the whole league has over 500 yards of offense on Hawaii and we could barely move the ball.

I see people saying they think we have improved because of our win against lowly Texas St. but I think that was more of a case of us beating a really bad team. Also it took a special teams td and two defensive td's for us to get to 45 points on them. Our offense could only get 24 points.

Unless our offense has some type of miracle after the bye week I am seeing at most 2 more wins.

Like I said I hope I am wrong but trying to be realistic about it and that is how I see it. We have almost as bad of offense as BYU.

Hope Bohl and Vigen pull a miracle out of their hind ends with this offense the rest of the year cause otherwise it will be ugly.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

Luckily, the way the offense had played, they can and should get better after each game. If the receivers can keep catching the ball, this will happen.

W-Y, Until I Die!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:09 am Hope I'm wrong but I think Utah St. And CSU will both beat Wyoming.

Think Wyoming has a good shot to finish last in the mountain the more games I watch.

Nevada who I thought was the worst team in the whole league has over 500 yards of offense on Hawaii and we could barely move the ball.

I see people saying they think we have improved because of our win against lowly Texas St. but I think that was more of a case of us beating a really bad team. Also it took a special teams td and two defensive td's for us to get to 45 points on them. Our offense could only get 24 points.

Unless our offense has some type of miracle after the bye week I am seeing at most 2 more wins.

Like I said I hope I am wrong but trying to be realistic about it and that is how I see it. We have almost as bad of offense as BYU.

Hope Bohl and Vigen pull a miracle out of their hind ends with this offense the rest of the year cause otherwise it will be ugly.
I don't know what makes you concerned about Utah State. I think both teams have very flawed offensive games and fairly reasonable defenses. The difference is one has had to come off of back to back challenging and emotionally draining games and one is coming off of a bye week.

I saw nothing from their offense that makes me worried about them, our defense is much improved over the last year and I believe we can hold their offense to a low scoring output.

In the last two games Utah State had 63 yards of total rushing against CSU and 112 yards rushing against BYU. Utah State as a whole has struggled as an offensive unit almost as much as Wyoming as of late. I think that the key to the game will be limiting their points on defense and special teams. They have 21 points in th last two games off of special teams and defense. We have been more oportunistic then they have as we have scored 28 points off of turnovers and special teams in the last two games.

I'm anticipating a defensive slugfest but don't see a scenario where they will be grosly favored and see no reason that the pokes win with a week to get healthy and to game plan for Utah State not to mention I saw a lot of injuries on their sideline and think we are picking them up at a great time.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Usu is almost a must win for bowl eligibility.
Honestly, I think this year, it will be difficult to say last game was x so we have y chance this week.

I'm thinking we play relatively close games for the rest of the way. I'm hoping we avoid getting pasted by someone but don't think we'll paste anyone.

I hope I'm wrong and we wreck a few teams. I'm also ok with 6 or 7 close wins.

usu is going to be a challenge. They are not a good team, but they are good enough MWC-level team to beat a young team making mistakes or not getting 1st downs. Offense needs to put up some points but also has to at least take a little time.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:59 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:09 am Hope I'm wrong but I think Utah St. And CSU will both beat Wyoming.

I don't know what makes you concerned about Utah State. I think both teams have very flawed offensive games and fairly reasonable defenses. The difference is one has had to come off of back to back challenging and emotionally draining games and one is coming off of a bye week.

I saw nothing from their offense that makes me worried about them, our defense is much improved over the last year and I believe we can hold their offense to a low scoring output.

In the last two games Utah State had 63 yards of total rushing against CSU and 112 yards rushing against BYU. Utah State as a whole has struggled as an offensive unit almost as much as Wyoming as of late. I think that the key to the game will be limiting their points on defense and special teams. They have 21 points in th last two games off of special teams and defense. We have been more oportunistic then they have as we have scored 28 points off of turnovers and special teams in the last two games.

I'm anticipating a defensive slugfest but don't see a scenario where they will be grosly favored and see no reason that the pokes win with a week to get healthy and to game plan for Utah State not to mention I saw a lot of injuries on their sideline and think we are picking them up at a great time.
There is a big difference struggling on offense to CSU and BYU versus struggling on offense against Hawaii and Texas St.

As bad as BYU's offense is their defense is decent.

What concerns me is that against their FCS opponent USU put up almost 600 yards of offense and Wyoming struggled to get 300 and only 27 points. Against their bad FBS opponent USU put up almost 600 yards of offense and Wyoming barely got to 300 and only rushed for 90 yards.

Nevada who lost at home to Idaho St. Beat Hawaii at home by 14 points and put up over 500 yards of offense. Wyoming needed a KO return to send the game into overtime against Hawaii and could only muster up 95 passing yards.

You can't compare scores of one game obviously but as you start looking at all the games as a whole they start to tell a story. So what concerns me is our offense in reality sucks. Unless our defense and special teams can keep scoring points for us which you really can't count on we are in big trouble.

Unless there is some magical thing that happens offensively over the bye week.

So those are my concerns going onto the road against Utah St.

Hopefully you guys are right and we are improved but I can't claim we are until they move the ball against a halfway decent team. If the offense keeps going 3 and out against USU the d will get tired and will be more of the same.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Looking at USU's rushing stats is iffy too, since Myers runs the ball more than anybody. CSU shut him down and sacked him/TFLd him quite a bit, so he ended up with only 6 yards on 16 rushing attempts. Against SJSU (who couldn't touch him), he had 84 yards on 15 runs instead.

How are we with mobile QBs? I think decent, this year?

If we can sustain drives, we'll win. If we struggle to move the ball on the ground to the point where USU just focuses on Allen, we'll have a rough time. We seriously need to stop averaging 2 yards per carry and get close to 4 if we are to win enough games this season. As much as I love special teams and defensive scoring, it's not something that should be relied upon.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

Usu has a very opportunistic defense, so taking care of the ball absolutely has to be the priority. Give them a short field and they’ll do just enough to beat us. What concerns me the most is the lack of any ground game. We really need to control time of possession and keep the defense off the field for this game and all the rest really. We aren’t going to score a ton of points, but if we can control clock we will be ok. That’s a huge “if” though based on what we’ve seen so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bigblue
Buckaroo

Aggie fan here. Honestly, with Myers playing. He can not read defenses well at all. He can't throw the ball down field accurately at all. I haven't watched much Wyoming ball but the game will come down to Aggie offense VS Wyoming defense. Our defense has had a jeckel and hyde feel all season. We can beat bad teams. But I don't think Wyoming is SJSU, BYU bad and will probably beat USU.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I will say it like this. I don’t think Utah State is more talented then the cowboys but I do think that they are capable of beating the pokes if they don’t play well. I just anticipate the pokes playing well off the bye

pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Utah State favored by 4.5

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:47 pm Utah State favored by 4.5

I'm kind of happy about this. Anything that can add motivation is a good thing, and they definitely don't need the added pressure of being favorites.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I'm still aghast at how woeful our offense is this year. Anyway, i think it will be a close game. Hope we pull it out
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

The passing game did better against Texas State, but the run game still needs to be ironed out.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:42 pm The passing game did better against Texas State, but the run game still needs to be ironed out.
It did, but we also still managed to punt 5 times, and none were touchbacks or inside the 20. That's a lot of unsustained drives still.

Speaking of which, though, Zaleski's definitely improving in that area. 44.4 Yards average for his punts in that game. I know punting is never the desired outcome, but the way he's improving, he might become a real weapon already next year.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

You can't use MMA Math to predict outcomes. We matchup well against USU and should beat them. Will we? Who knows. But saying they did better against a common opponent doesn't even begin to offer a sensible reason one is better than the other.