GoWyoGo.com?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 127 times

BeaverPoke wrote:And the news that the gowyogo people get comes to wyonation not too much longer.
Or vice versa.

I am thankful for Wyonation...for going on 6 years this September. And thanks goes out to GWG and "the gang" who pushed me to find Wyonation!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:And the news that the gowyogo people get comes to wyonation not too much longer.
Or vice versa.

I am thankful for Wyonation...for going on 6 years this September. And thanks goes out to GWG and "the gang" who pushed me to find Wyonation!
I am thankful for Wyonation as well.
I love it. Very few of my "real life" friends want to talk Wyo athletics as much as I do.
Plus it's nice hearing different opinions and different views. Especially with you Peachfuzz! The amount of arguments you and I have had make it entertaining at the very least lol.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

I used to frequent GoWyoGo quite a bit in college, more so because it was linked to the rivals site. I used to follow recruiting pretty hard back in college, since then I've realized what a crap shoot it is.

They provide some great stories on prospects both for football and basketball. However, this site provides more discussion and banter.

I'm glad that both boards are around I suppose.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ProudWYOAlum wrote: I used to follow recruiting pretty hard back in college, since then I've realized what a crap shoot it is.
I've tried to explain this to people but my friends still get a hard on for every 18 year old that "is supposed to be" the real deal.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 127 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
ProudWYOAlum wrote: I used to follow recruiting pretty hard back in college, since then I've realized what a crap shoot it is.
I've tried to explain this to people but my friends still get a hard on for every 18 year old that "is supposed to be" the real deal.
So true...seems more and more, athletes without the stars are over performing, and athletes with the stars are underperforming.

Probably a product of the "instant gratification for nothing" generation. ;)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

McPeachy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
So true...seems more and more, athletes without the stars are over performing, and athletes with the stars are underperforming.

I read an interesting summary the other day of 5 star wide receivers from the 2010-12 recruiting classes. Apparently over half of them got into trouble with the law or plain quit/were kicked off their teams.

I mean, it's a pretty short list of players, so it may not be statistically significant, but still.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

If you look at who are being drafted in the first several rounds it is still mostly 4 and 5 star players. So while to some extent it is a crapshoot rankings(at least at hte upper end) still matter.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

I read an interesting summary the other day of 5 star wide receivers from the 2010-12 recruiting classes. Apparently over half of them got into trouble with the law or plain quit/were kicked off their teams.

I mean, it's a pretty short list of players, so it may not be statistically significant, but still.
Oh I think it's significant.
Yes there are very few 5 star athletes but the ones that are 5 star are typically 16, or 17 year old kids already capable of starting anywhere in the SEC, Pac12, and Big12, and hell, likely physically talented enough to make an NFL (applies to NBA for basketball 5 star athletes as well).

These kids, by the time they get to their new home whether it be Oregon, USC, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, or Oklahoma we know they aren't going to Wyoming, UNLV, Utah State, Toledo, Akron, or even more respected teams like Boise State, Oregon State, or Kansas State. They are 16 or 17 with literally entire conferences like the SEC or Pac12 offering.
I saw a thing from a 4 star kid in Salt Lake that had literally, half of the Pac12 and literally half of the SEC along with BYU who had offered him. That was just the 4 star.

These kids have gotten what they wanted their entire lives. They have the egos of Kobe Bryant Terrell Owens combined. When they went on recruiting trips, the SEC teams throw beautiful girls at them, money, clothes, and whatever else at them.
They get to campus thinking they are the man, then all of a sudden the 4 star athlete who had the work ethic is caught up to him within a month. They realize they are not the main thing anymore. They get benched, or they get hit by someone bigger and badder than them, or whatever. Something happens to their egos to bring them down a little bit. A lot of these kids have become punks, (maybe that's part of my poop generation), and when little whiny bitches don't get what they want, they do dumb stuff.

I think 5 star recruits would almost be a risk to the program ya know? Like, how many more games is the 5 star recruit going to win you throughout his 3 year career compared to a 4 star?
If I was a big program I would hope I could rely on 3 and 4 star kids, with unranked in-state kids.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

Wyoming isn't pulling in the 5 star recruits and probably never will. I could go down a list of 3-star guys that were supposed to be the real deal and maybe played 20% of snaps if any.

Most of these kids won't even contribute it'll their redshirt sophomore years. The only position I truly keep an eye on is QB.

I'm much more apt to be excited about basketball recruits as they can have an instant impact.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ProudWYOAlum wrote:Wyoming isn't pulling in the 5 star recruits and probably never will. I could go down a list of 3-star guys that were supposed to be the real deal and maybe played 20% of snaps if any.

Most of these kids won't even contribute it'll their redshirt sophomore years. The only position I truly keep an eye on is QB.

I'm much more apt to be excited about basketball recruits as they can have an instant impact.
I have noticed this as well. Sam Awrabi, Trent Sewell (fingers still crossed), Pittser, Kankolongo...quite a few of the players with higher ratings didn't do well.

That said, one of the few Top 100 players at his position that committed to Wyoming did turn out to be pretty good: Brett Smith.

Wyoming will probably never be a school that hauls in 4-Star/5-Star guys...but I hope Bohl can compete for the well-respected high-end 3-Star players. San Jose State is recruiting VERY well right now considering their circumstances...and they didn't even go bowling this last season! Maybe Wyoming can't get the elite guys...but 5-10 guys ranked in the Top 100 at their position? That's not far-fetched.