The Laramie Dome

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Wyo2dal wrote:For every fan that hates the thought of a Dome in Laramie there are 10 fans that would be likely to attend if they didn't have to fight the harsh winter elements specially when you are talking about families.

From what I recall when my Dad use to talk about that was Coors had a fairly large chunk of money they were going to put forth for naming rights and unrestricted Beer sales in the Dome and a Group of Administrative or Council Members or w/e they were and whoever they were with fought against it tooth and nail. I'm pretty sure Akers leaving had a lot to do with it never being considered again as he was the main push behind it.

I'm not saying a Dome would fix everything clearly it wouldn't but if the Stadium was Domed back when the offer was on the table in the late 70's we would most likely be in a different spot today.

Sure everyone can speculate about what the outcome would be but one thing for sure is recruits that couldn't handle the weather most likely would have tolerated it.

It's interesting to think of what type of outcomes might have been different over the last 30 years if there wasn't a weather issue in Laramie.

Anyway I for one think UW could pull a pretty penny if they sold naming rights for the War or the AA. I mean would anyone really care if it was called Taco Johns Arena? Hell I could careless what the name of the field, building or court is as long as the product on it is entertaining to watch.
I think you are possible right about the families and the weather. That is where I am at during the latter portion of the season.

As for naming rights, it would be nice to get the money, but I just have a hang-up about removing the "War Memorial" part of the name. To me, that seems like it is supposed to mean something that transcends wins and losses. I understand the name to recognize some folks who gave a lot more than any donor or corporate sponsor ever can.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
djm19 wrote:Retractable dome = no lightning delays. Ever.

Which means attendance up.
The lightning delay didn't stop people from going to the game, which was evidenced by the near-sellout crowd. Attendance wouldn't go up because of it.
No, but it made them go home when we needed them most.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

whyoh wrote:Not high speed rails.........an old fashioned steam engine pulling passenger cars and selling beer

One out of Cheyenne and one out of Casper
Once again, now we are thinking here.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

whyoh wrote:Not high speed rails.........an old fashioned steam engine pulling passenger cars and selling beer

Used to have that in place (maybe not a steam engine, but could have been, I don't remember)...from Cheyenne to Laramie for game days. Everyone was well dressed, full bar was available, and it was a who's who event to make (governor, senator, congressman, etc.). I think it was called the Trundle Train.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

This is better as to what the stadium looked like against Montana!
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

A COUPLE MORE..hardly sparse!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote: You mean after the however long double lightning delay?

Because that place was packed at the beginning of the game.
I think we need to revisit our lightning technology or review the policy. I don't know what the answer is, but the delays suck, and have really sucked the last 5 or so years.

Also - and I hate to say this - UW needs to really evaluate how things are done on gameday. Maybe a combination of serving beer and improved concessions (and choices) along with not allowing re-admittance. That would help solve the half-time exodus. I have started to see the trend / culture of a large amount of fans leaving at halftime to get their drink on (and eat good food), and either not returning, or returning well after the start of the 3rd quarter.
This isn't a UW policy, it's a National Policy. Typically, any lightning within a 6 mile radius of the stadium results in an immediate delay lasting at minimum 30 minutes from the last strike of lightning within the danger radius. So if at 29 minutes and 40 seconds there is another strike, they have to wait another 30 minutes minimum.

I assume that UW, like many collegiate institutions, uses the National Weather Service to detect location of lightning strikes. So if there is a lightning strike at the Laramie Airport, or on Pilot hill, or by the landfill, they HAVE to suspend play; it sucks, but it's better than a dead football player.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Update: The SEC changed the policy regarding lightning in the Spring of 2014. The new rule suspends play at 8 miles instead of 6 miles. The existing 30 min delay minimum continues to be the standard. Delays can, and do, last longer than 30 minutes because the time restarts anytime a lightning strike occurs within the 8 mile radius. My thanks to Kevin Trainor, Associate Athletics Director, with the University of Arkansas for contacting me with the updated rule information.

http://5newsonline.com/2014/09/03/garre ... ng-policy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Not taking any chances: If lightning threatened to hit in the vicinity of the blue turf, here’s the policy set by the Mountain West: “We track the weather in the command post of the stadium throughout the day. We can check in a 30-, 13- and 6.5-mile radius. If there is a lightning strike within the 6.5-mile radius, we notify the game officials and stop the game. We cannot resume play until 30 minutes following the last strike in the 6.5-mile radius. If need be, we have an evacuation plan in place that would be implemented and announced over the PA system.”

http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/boise-s ... attention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:

Used to have that in place (maybe not a steam engine, but could have been, I don't remember)...from Cheyenne to Laramie for game days. Everyone was well dressed, full bar was available, and it was a who's who event to make (governor, senator, congressman, etc.). I think it was called the Trundle Train.
It was the Treagle Train....the name was derived as a hybrid of Cheyenne's daily newspapers, the Wyoming Eagle and the Wyoming Tribune. It was full of Wyoming heavyweights and often the passengers had a hard time making it from the station to the game without a nap first! They also used to run a train from Evanston to Laramie with stops all along the way I believe.......I'm told that a lot of good times were had on those train rides!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Only problem is, is that the Laramie Train Station was made into a museum quite awhile ago. And the only trains that come through here are cargo trains.