Last Night

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

tweaked wrote:I agree with YankPokes point about the students not in the lower court bleacher section not getting into the game. Too bad they have that wall separating the floor from above. If it were continuous, I do think it would promote more involvement amongst the students at the game. As to game day experience obstacles pointed out by several, I hope that someone in charge is thinking these issues through and I too find the cheer in the stands that continues until we score annoying. But as to parking, darkness, etc. come on man, it's laramie ... I've never felt unsaft walking out of a game. And those features were there when we use to draw regularly. Those sound pretty weak to me.
I'm not saying there's people waiting in the bushes for you. But crossing streets with no street lights is sketchy, especially with young children. And walking on sidewalks that haven't been worked on since 1950 it seems isn't too fun in the dark, especially for older folks. And walking with little kids at any distance after 9pm isn't easy.

I'm not saying people shouldn't go to the games for these reasons, i just think it makes sense for some people to stay home given the current environment. I haven't missed a game all season, but my wife who's 38 weeks pregnant would rather not have to walk past empty parking lots and sit in a hard chair looking at hundreds of soft chairs that we're not allowed to sit in.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

cali2wyo wrote: And can the dance team please pick some new music? I feel like I'm watching an 80's work out video at halftime.
Ahahah I commented on this in another thread. We always had the WORST MUSIC at the AA. I'm a music snob for sure but man someone needs to get on that. I have no hope for the music at the AA or really must sporting events. Actually the best I've heard so far has been at the Oakland A's games here. Hey they don't have any fans show up either and they're pros.
Riding High!!!
tweaked
Ranch Hand

Women anywhere and everywhere deal with this: "I've never felt unsafe leaving the AA after a game but that doesn't mean 2 girls who have to walk back to Campus Habitat or Bison Run or The Grove never felt unsafe." I've been to a number of different venues, and Wyoming's is safter than most in that regard. Again, these reasons, in my personal opinion, do not account for our crowd issues.

And as for parking, I do think they could open the Brown Lot to all comers which would go some ways to solving the parking issue although frankly the crowds are so pathetic on most nights one can usually find a space on 22nd street in between the stadium and brown. And again, compared to most venues I've been, UW is lucky. I find parking complaints pretty weak.

As far as families and pregnant wives go, particularly weekday nights with kids, I certainly get that ... for those of you who come despite those obstacles, hard core man ... and you are certainly not the problem.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

There will always be empty seats. One way to fill them is to offer free seats to a grade school(s) for a certain game. Of course, they will need chaperones and a bus to get them there, but I imagine that can be worked out. This will start to bring the community into the AA.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote:There will always be empty seats. One way to fill them is to offer free seats to a grade school(s) for a certain game. Of course, they will need chaperones and a bus to get them there, but I imagine that can be worked out. This will start to bring the community into the AA.
Or busses from Casper...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

I also brought this up before and will again. I mean our attendance has really gone down since the economy tanked as well. So those years were just extra depressing for a lot of people. poop team, tough times for family/friends, no money, etc. People might have just gotta used to not going and watching on tv or not at all. I know they say Wyoming is doing great economic wise but just because your employed doesn't mean you have the extra cheddar to pay for tickets, gas, and a hotel room for a hoops trip, especially when its just against DU. Factor in that you may have to take a day off work if you go losing more money. Just saying I think there are a lot of factors involved in this because our situation has always been a unique one.

You students though have ZERO excuses! Your already paying for it. How busy can you really be in Laramie to not find time for basketball? It doesn't even take that much time and its pure excitement. Whatever else you have to do can wait for an hour and half can't it?
Riding High!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 255 times

Agree about the students. No excuses. I like the ideas of free stuff and giving out free tickets to elementary, Jr. high and high school kids. The easiest way to grow lasting support for the program might be targeting this demographic. We need to get the kids saying "Mom, can we go to the Cowboys' game, please!!!?"
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
tweaked wrote:Also interesting is the fact that Shyatt is pushing a redshirt on Washington so he can work on his academics but the kid shows in uniform up last night ... some resistance on the part of Washington? Also, Shyatt says more minutes will be available next year ... I'm not so sure. I don't see us putting Austin, Lieberman, and Washington on the floor together and Austin and Lieberman will consume most of the minutes next year. Washington's only chance is if Austin redshirts. Anyways, this is getting ahead of things, and we have the most promising season of Cowboy bball in front of us which I will enjoy, but a murky future for Washington in my opinion.
I'm not so impressed with Lieberman anymore. Have you seen his shooting numbers?? Washington may be just as good.
He is supposed to be the 2nd best shooter on the team, but we haven't seen that yet. Probably just getting up to speed. His shot will come. On a positive note, he has good handles and takes care of the ball.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:Agree about the students. No excuses. I like the ideas of free stuff and giving out free tickets to elementary, Jr. high and high school kids. The easiest way to grow lasting support for the program might be targeting this demographic. We need to get the kids saying "Mom, can we go to the Cowboys' game, please!!!?"
+1

That's what sold me when I was a kid.

I wanted to be the next Marcus Bailey.
We need kids who want to be the next Larry, or the next Adams, etc.

If the kids get super stoked on the hoops team and the coaching staff sticks around for quite a few years, these kids will be the ones packing the student section in 10 years.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
tweaked
Ranch Hand

Yea, that's a great idea about giving tickets to schools ... you'd think someone in UW athletics would be on that ... they could do more to promote UW bball.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

OK, can someone explain to me the parking situation? What empty lots are you walking past? Haven't been to Laramie, but trying to get a feel for the issue by looking at Google Maps.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 127 times

WYO1016 wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:It burns me up that they guard the lower bowl like Ft. Knox.
Ditto. They need to let people fill it up. It will make for a better gameday atmosphere. I know that I cheer louder the closer I am to the court.
I'll probably get skewered for this...but it is my opinion, so here you go.

I am a ticket snob. I donate heavily to the CJC (and other facets of UW) regularly. I have great parking. I have great seats - for both men's basketball and football.

Last night's game:

I am sitting in my seats (2 of the 4) in the lower bowl...and right before half, a young couple (college aged) decided to come sit in my other 2 seats. No ticket Nazi available to stop them I guess? 2 of my family members couldn't go - so they were open. It became instantly obvious they were not there for the game. I heard topics from Christmas gifts, to vehicle styles, to dinner plans...it was embarrassing. Now...don't get me wrong, but why the f-word should these 2 have been allowed to sit in my seats, when they weren't the ones that donated the $1000's plus bought the tickets? That said - I actually gave these other 2 tickets away outside the AA before the game, but obviously the people elected to sit elsewhere. Further, I didn't say anything to the 2 that sat in my seats...I let it go.

My point? It was frustrating for me...but I think something should be done for unused tickets. As I looked around, half if not more, of the lower bowl was empty. UW needs a free ticket exchange program (as somebody mentioned) for BBBS, Wyoming elementary schools, etc. If the folks sitting around me aren't going to use their tickets, that is their choice, but damn somebody needs to think out of the box on this situation, and do what is right. The AA seating reassignment was about as poorly done as I could have imagined...and it is even more evident when they say the lower bowl season ticket are roughly sold out, yet half empty every game.

UW got their seat premium, and their $$...but they sure screwed some folks, and screwed the atmosphere.

:twocents:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
NDPokes
Buckaroo

I'm thinking a nice giveaway for kids would be: every kid 18 and under receives Adams tat sleeves and a sleeveless WYO shirt. Heck, give em to the college kids too.
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

I'm sure most of the empty seats in the lower bowl are people with similar situations, but it really craps all over the game atmosphere. Maybe try giving your unused tickets away on Craigslist, the UW e-mail list, etc...; you might get a higher quality seat mate than the random seat thief! Or let me know; I'd love to see the view from the "soft seats" sometime.

My cheap season tickets are just above a portal, and even though I do my best to bring the noise, I sometimes feel like a detached observer when there is nobody within 100 seats of me.

WW
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

McPeachy wrote:I'll probably get skewered for this...but it is my opinion, so here you go.

I am a ticket snob. I donate heavily to the CJC (and other facets of UW) regularly. I have great parking. I have great seats - for both men's basketball and football.

Last night's game:

I am sitting in my seats (2 of the 4) in the lower bowl...and right before half, a young couple (college aged) decided to come sit in my other 2 seats. No ticket Nazi available to stop them I guess? 2 of my family members couldn't go - so they were open. It became instantly obvious they were not there for the game. I heard topics from Christmas gifts, to vehicle styles, to dinner plans...it was embarrassing. Now...don't get me wrong, but why the f-word should these 2 have been allowed to sit in my seats, when they weren't the ones that donated the $1000's plus bought the tickets? That said - I actually gave these other 2 tickets away outside the AA before the game, but obviously the people elected to sit elsewhere. Further, I didn't say anything to the 2 that sat in my seats...I let it go.

My point? It was frustrating for me...but I think something should be done for unused tickets. As I looked around, half if not more, of the lower bowl was empty. UW needs a free ticket exchange program (as somebody mentioned) for BBBS, Wyoming elementary schools, etc. If the folks sitting around me aren't going to use their tickets, that is their choice, but damn somebody needs to think out of the box on this situation, and do what is right. The AA seating reassignment was about as poorly done as I could have imagined...and it is even more evident when they say the lower bowl season ticket are roughly sold out, yet half empty every game.

UW got their seat premium, and their $$...but they sure screwed some folks, and screwed the atmosphere.

:twocents:
It's nice to hear from someone who's on the other side of the fence on this issue. It's a drag sitting next to people that aren't there to cheer on the team.

I agree that UW bungled the reseating. There's no getting around that. They're also bungling the gameday experience. I agree that you should be entitled to your seats. You donated, you bought the tickets, and you'd like to enjoy the game. However, what about all of the people that bought tickets and just plain don't show up? I can think of one specific row at half court very close to the floor that have yet to be used. That's about 8 seats dead center that no one gets to use because someone felt like they had to buy them lest the athletic department screw them over again. Shouldn't we allow people who come to the game to cheer on the Pokes to use them and add to the home court advantage?

Whatever your stance on the issue there is one thing we can all agree on; the athletic department has dropped the ball in a big way. They need to get their poop together in a hurry. If we're playing a primetime game where both teams are ranked (as I suspect will happen during conference play) there damn sure better not be a majority of empty seats in the lower bowl!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Complaining about people sitting in empty seats... Have we come so low. Seriously, if I bought a ticket and the give me upper bowl and there's only 4k people there with plenty of room. Bet your ass I'm going to plant mine in a nicer one that is currently being unused. And if that person or persons decide to show, they can tell me and I'll gladly get up to one of the other empty seats available. This really shouldn't be a big deal.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:Complaining about people sitting in empty seats... Have we come so low. Seriously, if I bought a ticket and the give me upper bowl and there's only 4k people there with plenty of room. Bet your ass I'm going to plant mine in a nicer one that is currently being unused. And if that person or persons decide to show, they can tell me and I'll gladly get up to one of the other empty seats available. This really shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck getting by the Gestapo to get down there in the first place. Mcpeachy must've had some kind of MI6 spy to get past these clowns.

My seats aren't even in the lower bowl, they're the first row of the older chairs and yet I still get hounded no matter how many times I walk by the same person.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

POKE FAN wrote:
gopokes1399 wrote: 5) THE CROWD! I was disappointed to see we couldn't even draw 5K when is Laramie and the surrounding area going to figure out that we have a great team on our hands and they feed off of the crowd. Give these boys the support they deserve. Larry Shyatt expressed his disappointment on the radio after the game and in his post game presser. I really hope people start showing up.
Pitiful showing. A percentage weren't even paying attention to the game, either. They were more interested in talking about work or dinner parties. Nauseating.

"I believe that we can win!".......Please stop that in its tracks now. (1) That's something that SDSU does. WYO students are better than that. (2) You don't start screaming that chant when a Wyoming player is at the line shooting a free throw. Wake up. I'm sure Josh Adams and the bench agrees.
You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. Unless your going to be in the student section leading the chants you just need to accept whatever gets them involved. If the students are getting involved no one should care what they are chanting but you should be happy they are showing involvement.

FYI that is not a SDSU chant, That chant started at the Naval Academy in 98 and is used World Wide by sports teams from Football to Soccer. Student involvement is an important thing and it's just like this board to say dumb poop like we're better than that.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

I'm going to SMU for Friday's game as I wanna see us on the road, last nights game was fun but we cannot start out sluggish like this upcoming and hopefully it all comes together, I'm truly loving what I'm seeing and may we be 8-0 after Friday night, Go POKES
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

stymeman wrote:I'm going to SMU for Friday's game as I wanna see us on the road, last nights game was fun but we cannot start out sluggish like this upcoming and hopefully it all comes together, I'm truly loving what I'm seeing and may we be 8-0 after Friday night, Go POKES
Friday's game is HUGE in telling us what type of team we have. I'm curious to see this team on the road, too.