McDonald's All-Americans

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Aaron wrote:I haven't missed any of Lieberman's playing time and there is nothing that says he will ever be a starter
That's understandable. It's not like Shyatt called him the best shooter on the team or anything...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 253 times

I think Lieberman really screwed himself in terms of playing time this year by shooting like poop in the OOC.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

I don't see why we don't sub Gorski in and run a play for him if he's he best shooter. He doesn't need to play tons. What's the point of putting him in just to throw the ball around the perimeter?
W-Y, Until I Die!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:Adams at PG/SG (obviously)
McManamen at PG
Herndon at SF/PF
Barnes at C
Liebermen at PG maybe?
I would be surprised if McManamen started, he is a good hustler, but his offense is really suspect, very streaky. He is the perfect guy coming off the bench.

PG: Austin Conway or Jeremy Lieberman
SG: Josh Adams
SF: Alexander Aka Gorski
PF: Alan Herndon
PF: Jonathan Barnes

First off the bench: Jason McManamen, Morris Marshall, Tyrell Williams and Justin James.

Next year there will be a lot of young guys that see action. I am not worried about Lieberman's shooting as I am not worried about Aka Gorski's shooting. Lieberman is a very smart bb player, and knows the Wyoming offense much better than Austin Conway does, but Conway is such a special talent that he will force himself onto the court. Washington might use this redshirt year to come out like McManamen did. I really do think that Aka Gorski is a star of the future, not the quickest but has excellent experience and is probably the best outside shooter on the team, and after a year working with the coaches and the other players he will be a contributor. Frankly I see Justin James and Austin Conway by the end of next season being big time contributors for this program. I really don't know enough about Andrew Moemeka other than he is highly thought of, so I don't know he might really develop. I would imagine that Shyatt would like to redshirt Jordan Naughton if he could, but the guy might be good enough that he can't.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Aaron wrote:I haven't missed any of Lieberman's playing time and there is nothing that says he will ever be a starter
That's understandable. It's not like Shyatt called him the best shooter on the team or anything...
Almost every shot he has taken this year was wild. And he can't handle the ball for poop
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Aaron wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Almost every shot he has taken this year was wild. And he can't handle the ball for poop
"......he can't handle the ball for poop." Are you for real? Riley couldn't handle the ball to save his life his first year and that is why he sat on the bench if you don't remember. The coaches have constantly said that Lieberman's bb IQ is extremely high, he just hasn't played with these guys for the length of time that Riley has, so he doesn't have the timing down. Josh still makes some incredibly bad passes. Before Lieberman leaves UW, he will be known as one of the best ball handlers that has ever been at UW. I am not worried about his shot either, he is just not used to the speed of play in the MWC, you will see a much different player in the next couple of years. The one area that Lieberman will have to improve at is defense, and this is an area where Conway might have him right off the bat because of his quickness. I see Lieberman starting at PG to start next season, but who knows what will happen during the season and by the end of next season it might be a different story.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

A nomination really isn't that big of an honor. 823 players were nominated. If half of those are boys, that means we've got 3 recruits in the top 411.

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/sports/pr ... omination/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Every single recruit on San Diego St. , New Mexico and UNLV were all nominated also. Glad ours were nominated though it is better than not getting any nominations. At least we can say our guys were nominated just like SDSU, New Mexico and UNLV now.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
gbpoke
Cowpoke

I guess all I can say is, when was the last time we had nominations for this honor that were verbaled or signed by the Pokes? Not that I can ever remember, so at least there's that. Enjoy it for what it is; also remember that just because they get the accolades doesn't mean that they are going to be good players. Larry Nance Jr. wasn't a McDonald's AA nominee that I can remember and he's regarded by many as the best player in the conference.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

After looking into the list yeah it's not the highest honor ever. It kinda looks like they have to put a guy from each state like the best player from Wyoming or Montana when in reality those players might not be in the top 850 players in the country. It's just an early award too and yes many guys come on much later in their careers for many circumstances. Flip side of the coin though. I've always thought Shyatt only needs a top 150 guy in his position or more preferably a top 100 guy in his spot. Our staff gets the most out our players, they care about them, they get personalities that mesh with our whole vibe, and they develop our players. So if we are getting guys in the top 850 they are most likely close to those requirements I stated above. You give Shyatt a top 75 or top 50 guy in his position and we will steamroll teams. :twocents:
Riding High!!!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:After looking into the list yeah it's not the highest honor ever. It kinda looks like they have to put a guy from each state like the best player from Wyoming or Montana when in reality those players might not be in the top 850 players in the country. It's just an early award too and yes many guys come on much later in their careers for many circumstances. Flip side of the coin though. I've always thought Shyatt only needs a top 150 guy in his position or more preferably a top 100 guy in his spot. Our staff gets the most out our players, they care about them, they get personalities that mesh with our whole vibe, and they develop our players. So if we are getting guys in the top 850 they are most likely close to those requirements I stated above. You give Shyatt a top 75 or top 50 guy in his position and we will steamroll teams. :twocents:

Since Shyatt showed up I've been wondering what happens if/when we do actually grab a 4 star top 50 shooter or big. Like... shyatt develops these kids better than anyone. Give him someone that's on his way to the nba regardless of where he plays college ball? It could open a flood-gate of better recruiting, ncaa tourney success, and mwc poy's.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

6'10" will always be worth looking at.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

WyoExpat wrote:6'10" will always be worth looking at.
Wait, anyone? You mean like Sellers. Whom everyone on here thought he was a waste of Scholly and wanted him to leave the team...

Not everyone with height is worth looking in to.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:Hopefully the coaches have done a lot of work with Barnes this year, as well as him getting stronger in the weight room. I talked to a couple of coaches familiar with Colorado high school basketball, and they said he was incredibly soft his senior year in high school. Went on to say they were surprised he went D1. I know Shyatt and crew are great developers, so hopefully that rings true for Barnes as well.
Incredibly soft? After his showing on the AAU circuit while shutting down one of the top prep big men in America, Barnes had a ton of offers, albeit mostly mid-major. A couple of those "mid-majors" had Sweet-Sixteen appearances on their resumes. I'll take the words of people who have watched him practice in Laramie and think he'll be an impact player as he grows.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

POKE FAN wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Hopefully the coaches have done a lot of work with Barnes this year, as well as him getting stronger in the weight room. I talked to a couple of coaches familiar with Colorado high school basketball, and they said he was incredibly soft his senior year in high school. Went on to say they were surprised he went D1. I know Shyatt and crew are great developers, so hopefully that rings true for Barnes as well.
Incredibly soft? After his showing on the AAU circuit while shutting down one of the top prep big men in America, Barnes had a ton of offers, albeit mostly mid-major. A couple of those "mid-majors" had Sweet-Sixteen appearances on their resumes. I'll take the words of people who have watched him practice in Laramie and think he'll be an impact player as he grows.
Just relaying what I was told by people that saw him play in high school and aren't just casual basketball observers, they have a good eye. What he has done since getting to Laramie is a tivial point to my previous post.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:
Just relaying what I was told by people that saw him play in high school and aren't just casual basketball observers, they have a good eye. What he has done since getting to Laramie is a tivial point to my previous post.
He was offered scholarships by coaches at three different schools that are in todays top 25. Those coaches must have been casual observers.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:
Maybe you should re-read my post then. I find it hard to believe these particular CO coaches have a better eye for talent than most college coaches. Obviously, they don't. Barnes proved his potential to many on the AAU circuit.
Last edited by POKE FAN on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:
I've seen improvement in his game from the first time to the last time he got PT. He was more relaxed offensively and had two dunks in the last game he had PT. Shyatt is on record saying he trusts him on the defensive end, but not as much on the offensive end. There have been photos showing Jonathan working his ass off after practice to improve his game. He has huge upside. Huge.

Go Pokes!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:
I've seen improvement in his game from the first time to the last time he got PT. He was more relaxed offensively and had two dunks in the last game he had PT. Shyatt is on record saying he trusts him on the defensive end, but not as much on the offensive end. There have been photos showing Jonathan working his ass off after practice to improve his game. He has huge upside. Huge.

Go Pokes!!
What I was trying to say is that what he has done since getting to Laramie, has NOTHING to do with how he looked in high school. That's it, I wasn't making any comment on how he is now, just about high school.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The is fast and there is quick. There is a difference. I don't know what their 50 yd dash times are (the fast component) but it appears to me that Barnes is the least quick player (Sellers close). Of course Adams is the quickest.