Is it fair to question if Larry Nance Jr. is overrated?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I've made my points and I've enjoyed the give and take with others who left their own comments.

Some agreed with me, some seemed to be middle of the road - while others completely disagreed.

I love this board and love the passion of our fan base.

Go Pokes!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Simple answer.

No.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Not even going to finish this thread. Combine it with a couple others I just read and I will have to say I am once again embarrassed to be a Wyoming fan. Not for the teams we put out but the "fans" who have opinions. Pathetic.

And admin I didn't use any foul language in this one so maybe it doesn't get deleted?
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Aaron wrote:Not even going to finish this thread. Combine it with a couple others I just read and I will have to say I am once again embarrassed to be a Wyoming fan. Not for the teams we put out but the "fans" who have opinions. Pathetic.

And admin I didn't use any foul language in this one so maybe it doesn't get deleted?
Let me see if I have this correct. You're 'ashamed' because someone had the temerity to suggest or to question whether or not a player is as good as some people think he is? So this specific player is off limits and if you don't move to reinforce his brilliance (or any player) you are somehow bringing blasphemy to the thought of being an actual fan?

I'll call this the Larry Shyatt effect. When myself and a few others questioned his ability to lead the Pokes to loftier levels beyond multiple CBI appearances we were attacked as though we sought to deny the diety of Christ Jesus Himself.

Give me a break.

Look it, I have been a New Jersey Devils fan since the puck dropped at The Meadowlands Arena back in 1982. I've seen virtually every second of that franchise's existence. As a Devils fan since day one I have questioned the legitimacy of the greatness of Martin Brodeur and raised the notion that he too is perhaps overrated.

If I can wonder this about one of the most esteemed and accomplished athletes of the last 25 years I can certainly question the greatness of Larry Nance Jr.

Not that I should need to note this one more time -- but only because some here read and interrupt only what they wish to, please allow me to re-state it one more time.

He is the best player this side of Brandon Ewing I have seen since I began following the Pokes back in 2002. By all counts he is a terrific kid, a great ambassador for the program, and I have relished the opportunity to watch him up close and in person throughout his Wyoming career.

My suggestion is that he is not as good as some believe him to be. Period.

If some wish to twist my words and go about with ad-hominem attacks because of this alleged treasonous perspective then be my guest.

Nobody is ever beyond reproach, and as hard as it may be for some to digest, this includes, Larry Nance Jr.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I find nothing wrong with questioning an athlete.

Knowing that the team can't help but to read these very message boards, howecer, I would direct my questions to a more private audience. At least wait to bring it up some other time besides right before a MWC tournament run to plant tiny seeds of doubt into my team's mind.

But, like I said, people have the right to say what they want when they want.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:I find nothing wrong with questioning an athlete.

Knowing that the team can't help but to read these very message boards, howecer, I would direct my questions to a more private audience. At least wait to bring it up some other time besides right before a MWC tournament run to plant tiny seeds of doubt into my team's mind.

But, like I said, people have the right to say what they want when they want.
Thanks for that BHW, I appreciate your observations.

On the other hand, unless this is a pom-pom waving message board for Wyoming and the only comments are those that build-up a player or the program...unless this is the case then my commentary is as valid as anyone else's - no?

Also, if this was nothing more than a pom-pom site I'd have zero interest in attending or contributing. I'll operate under the guise that this is an open forum that welcomes the thoughts and opinions of all who converge here.

Flip side? Nance Jr does read what I wrote, then makes me eat major crow as the Pokes roll to the MWC title game.

I'll eat that crow gladly, sunnyside up, no ketchup, please.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

DocHolliday wrote:

On the other hand, unless this is a pom-pom waving message board for Wyoming and the only comments are those that build-up a player or the program...unless this is the case then my commentary is as valid as anyone else's - no?

Also, if this was nothing more than a pom-pom site I'd have zero interest in attending or contributing. I'll operate under the guise that this is an open forum that welcomes the thoughts and opinions of all who converge here.

Flip side? Nance Jr does read what I wrote, then makes me eat major crow as the Pokes roll to the MWC title game.

Your commentary, thoughts, and opinions are most certainly as valid as anyone else's. As are mine.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:

Your commentary, thoughts, and opinions are most certainly as valid as anyone else's. As are mine.
How do they do this? +1?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

I think Larry is overrated if he's on the highest pedestal that some have put him on. I haven't had him so high. He is the greatest poke to play in the last 13 years. Can you imagine Larry redshirting that first year? Or getting hurt Earlier last year and getting a medical? He'd be monster since he truly was a late bloomer and struggled with growing pains early.

Basketball truly is a team sport in college. If no one can feed you the rock, you won't get your points. Even DC looked pretty good but that was because nance fed him dunks all the time.

Larry will go down as one of the greats. Hope we clean up in Vegas. Will be my first MW tournament
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

He's really, really good, but not great, but playing at Wyo he can look awesome against all the other teammates anyway.
I just woulda loved to have seen him play a whole 4 years no knee no illnesses etc...he may have been in the top 5 in stats at UW. We will truly miss him tho and it truly has been loads of fun watching Mr. Larry Nance Jr over these 4 years, man time flies, I wish him well in his future endeavors and he'll always be one of the best in UW history
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 253 times

stymeman wrote:He's really, really good, but not great, but playing at Wyo he can look awesome against all the other teammates anyway.
I just woulda loved to have seen him play a whole 4 years no knee no illnesses etc...he may have been in the top 5 in stats at UW. We will truly miss him tho and it truly has been loads of fun watching Mr. Larry Nance Jr over these 4 years, man time flies, I wish him well in his future endeavors and he'll always be one of the best in UW history
I agree. Because of his injuries we'll never know. He was robbed. Bottom line. I think his talent is top five and when you add in his demeanor and personality he's probably my favorite.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

LanderPoke wrote:
stymeman wrote:He's really, really good, but not great, but playing at Wyo he can look awesome against all the other teammates anyway.
I agree. Because of his injuries we'll never know. He was robbed. Bottom line. I think his talent is top five and when you add in his demeanor and personality he's probably my favorite.
what was, was and guess now time to rally and what will be will be...can't go backwards but it was fun watching him over the last 4 years, let's get the MWC tourney!!!!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

I don't think it's quite fair to call Nance "over-rated" so much as I think it's more fair to wonder if his health issues have been under-stated. I've seen him appear to clearly be struggling for energy during several games to the point he seems physically bi-polar.

While I'd love to seem him move on to a great NBA career, given his health swings, I don't think too many teams are going to express a whole lot of interest in him.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote:I don't think it's quite fair to call Nance "over-rated" so much as I think it's more fair to wonder if his health issues have been under-stated. I've seen him appear to clearly be struggling for energy during several games to the point he seems physically bi-polar.

While I'd love to seem him move on to a great NBA career, given his health swings, I don't think too many teams are going to express a whole lot of interest in him.
Only needs one team to be interested, and he already has that team very interested. He will get a shot for sure.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Here's a shocker:

Nance makes MWC 1st-team on both the offensive and defensive ends. Marvelle Harris and JJ O'Brien also accomplished the feat. Derrick Marks? Nance was also voted co-Defensive Player of the Year. Now, I guess all Larry has to do to please the crowd is improve his one-on-two offensive abilities on the block when opponents (smartly) double-down on him. ;)
https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/575332736027623425 http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 5a5cf.html

Cowduck
Cowpoke

POKE FAN wrote:Here's a shocker:

Nance makes MWC 1st-team on both the offensive and defensive ends. Marvelle Harris and JJ O'Brien also accomplished the feat. Derrick Marks? Nance was also voted co-Defensive Player of the Year. Now, I guess all Larry has to do to please the crowd is improve his one-on-two offensive abilities on the block when opponents (smartly) double-down on him. ;)
https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/575332736027623425 http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 5a5cf.html

This whole f-word thread has been asinine for two very important reasons, and this highlights one of them. Last I checked, about half the time in a basketball game your team doesn't have the f-word ball, and when Wyoming doesn't have the ball, Larry Nance is absolutely elite. People can nitpick his offensive game or ask questions about his abilities in crunch time, but nobody seems to bother considering his enormous impact on the defensive end. He is bar none the best defensive player Wyoming has had in 25 years. When you add to that his ever-growing offensive contributions, if you think he is "overrated" you're a poop plain and simple.

Second, what the f-word is the point of having the "is Nance overrated" conversation immediately AFTER he has played his final regular season game in a Wyoming uniform? You can beat your chest all you want about how on these here message boards, I have a right to criticize and question, blah blah blah. And that's true, you do. But if you're the kind of fan who is going to poop all over the legacy of a player like Larry Nance, who has been EXACTLY the kind of player any program would be proud to have represent it for four years on and off the court, at this point in his career, you have to ask yourself why bother following sports and especially follow college sports. Because to me the "Nance is overrated" camp is representative of unbridled cynicism and entitlement on the part of a fan and that's not how I choose to go through life. If you're anything but grateful for his contributions on and off the court to the program as his career is coming to a close you're just an asshole.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Good post Cowduck.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Agree with Cowduck. Anybody that doesn't appreciate Nance is either insane, or will regret it heavily next year. One of my favorites all-time. Everything we could ever ask for.

While Nance is even more important than Ewing, it reminds me of people posting we would be better off without Ewing because we would have a "true" pg in Luster.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 253 times

Excellent post, cowduck.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CNPOKE wrote:I agree with Seattle Cowboy and as Beaver Poke commented on another thread in that Nance needed to take over the game many times attitude but was lacking. Nance gets kudos for overcoming adversity and being a very good player at Wyoming however imo too passive to make it in the NBA. If Nance had Josh Davis agressiveness different story.
I would argue the opposite. If Josh Davis had Larry Nance's leadership and aggressiveness he would have been on a whole other level. People forget, because of how he came through in the NCAA's, just how often Davis coasted in his senior season. Look at that stat line, 11.7 ppg, 58% FT, 18% 3 PT. When Davis was engaged, he was a monster, but he disappeared frequently.

I don't mean to criticize Davis, a great player for us, but it's interesting to see how memories become fonder over time. Anyone that doesn't appreciate Nance now, will certainly in 10 years.