I will be very disappointed

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

JimmyDimes wrote:I'd argue Boise is much better without Drmic. We'll see how they do without Marks. A team Wyoming was able to beat by double figures.

I think part of the problem was Drmic and Marks are both really good players and were taking some of the spot light from each other so it never allowed one or the other to just take over by themselves. So with Drmic getting hurt it allowed Marks to blossom even more.

I actually think Drmic is a better all around player than Marks is. Marks is mainly a scorer and even though he is very good he still sometimes does force things and takes ill advised shots.

Boise next year is going to be very good. They have everyone back except for Marks but will have Drmic instead so they will actually be better next year than they are this year.

I think Wyoming matches up with them this year because of the big's we have down low so if we face them in the semi finals I think we have a good shot to beat them. Next year though? I think Boise will be a lot better Wyoming. Hope I am wrong but I don't see us competing with them next year with the players both teams have returning.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

The key is to recruit better every year. And I think we have been doing that and it is pretty obvious. This senior class is this staffs first recruiting class that was thrown together fast and some are treating like we will never see a group like this again. I am excited to see what we have from our young kids. This incoming class has some that have a shot to be special Conway and James. I also think Herndon has a chance to be real special a kid that tall with a shooting touch and decent ball skills. I think he is already better than Larry was as a freshman(RS vs True). Next year might be a small step back(I'm not sure about that, i'm excited to see) but then we should be back on the upward trajectory. The future is bright.

That being said. This year isn't over. Lets win the MWCT.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:You mean the same WAC teams who have come in and have consistently beaten us year after year for conference titles?

Football and Basketball both.

Football, for example, since these "WAC" teams joining the conference, we are:

Boise State: 0-4
Nevada: 0-1
Fresno State: 1-2
SJSU: 0-2
Hawaii: 1-1
USU: 0-2

Wow. We definitely should look down on these "WAC" schools. We are clipping along at a solid 16% win percentage vs "WAC" schools. 2-12.
Why bring football into a basketball thread. But since you did, there are only two programs on that list that aren't one hit wonders...Boise and Fresno. Yes Wyoming has lost more than they have won during the time of your small sample size. But once Bohl get's the program back on its feet (I expect this to happen more than wish), then we'll be battling Boise and Fresno more for titles than the others.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Point is, overall, that we (Wyoming) has ZERO room to be critical of any schools being "less than us."

I agree that Bohl could do something, but as it currently sits, stats do tell the story. The story is, our sports programs are on par...(in some cases) even less than these so-called "WAC" teams.

That is all I am saying.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

TSpoke wrote:The key is to recruit better every year. And I think we have been doing that and it is pretty obvious. This senior class is this staffs first recruiting class that was thrown together fast and some are treating like we will never see a group like this again. I am excited to see what we have from our young kids. This incoming class has some that have a shot to be special Conway and James. I also think Herndon has a chance to be real special a kid that tall with a shooting touch and decent ball skills. I think he is already better than Larry was as a freshman(RS vs True). Next year might be a small step back(I'm not sure about that, i'm excited to see) but then we should be back on the upward trajectory. The future is bright.

Good post, GOB Bluth
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

okcwyocowboy wrote:If we don't win the MWC tournament. The MWC just isn't very good. We have to beat 2 teams from the WAC (who we already beat) to make the Championship game. We have a bunch of Seniors. The ONLY team that should be able to compete with us is SDSU. Everyone else just isn't very good. If we can't do it in this watered down conference...... with all these Seniors..........in this bracket...... then we may never ever do it again.

:coffee:
Methinks you're about to be very disappointed. But I agree with your last couple of statements. If they couldn't do it this year, they probably never will. Life as a cowboy fan.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

J-Rod wrote:
okcwyocowboy wrote: Rankings don't mean much. Murray State was ranked on Sunday. They won 25 straight games. They lose their conference championship on a buzzer beater and they have no chance of making the tournament. Wyoming was ranked this season as well. We already beat Boise once. If this team can't win this weak tournament, they will go down as a big disappointment in my book. This is the weakest MWC tourney ever. UNLV and New Mexico are not going to be this down for long.
I don't know what to tell you then. Trying to justify the conference's level of play by ignoring rankings and rpi is a hard argument to win. There are three MW teams in the Top 35. That isn't ACC-level amazing, but it's hardly weak either. I too have/had high expectations for this team, but claiming they'll be a big disappointment for falling to a ranked or close-to-ranked team isn't fair. I get it....all Wyoming fans are starved for success. At this point it seems like short of an access bowl or NCAA Tournament berth, all seasons are failures in the eyes of Cowboy fans. If this team doesn't get to the dance, it will suck...but if a 22/23/24 win season is a failure at Wyoming, then damn....I missed the day Laramie turned into Chapel Hill of the West.
10 of those wins against Chadron St. and the dregs of the MEAC.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Again, I agree that Wyoming has a decent chance to make something of this MW Tournament. I was saying that when everyone was trashing this team pre-Utah State blowout. I'm just saying that declaring the tournament a complete failure for losing to a ranked team is a little silly. I think the basketball program is on the rise, especially with the new facility in place, but geez...I missed the meeting where we declared that Wyoming is the Gonzaga of the Mountain Range. 22-24 wins, and a loss to a ranked team in the MW Tournament = complete and total failure? Damn. Guess we've arrived.

Wonder if we might see something similar with football in the future? If Bohl starts winning 8/9 games annually eventually, but fans chastise him because he isn't perfect? Pretty sure that happened in the Tiller era too. It's chicken poop if it isn't perfect.

I get that we're all starved for conference titles, national recognition. But compared to the last 10-15 years of Wyo Athletics, if this is still considered a failure, well...then the overall Wyoming fan experience just really sucks.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

NCAA tourney is becoming more of a popularity contest it's seeming...lol
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

At this point, I just want to make the semi-finals. Been going to Vegas for 5 years and have never gotten to watch the Pokes play on Friday. If we lose to USU that will be a very big disappointment.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

yes I'm in true agreement there!!!!!
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

WilyWapiti wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:We have not made it out of the quarter final round since 2007 and we've never won the MWC tournament. I would be happy if we won our first game. In fact, I believe we are a better team than Utah state and losing to them would be a disappointment. After that, everything is gravy.
+1

This is the loser mentality that I would like to get as far away from anything Wyoming as possible.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Objectively speaking there is no way the Cowboys can be or should be expected to win this upcoming tournament.

They are a flawed and somewhat one-dimensional team that struggles to score points consistently. In my opinion they are the 5th or 6th best team in the conference.

If they do win the MWC title it would be a monumental upset story...albeit one I would love to see unfold.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
TSpoke wrote:The key is to recruit better every year. And I think we have been doing that and it is pretty obvious. This senior class is this staffs first recruiting class that was thrown together fast and some are treating like we will never see a group like this again. I am excited to see what we have from our young kids. This incoming class has some that have a shot to be special Conway and James. I also think Herndon has a chance to be real special a kid that tall with a shooting touch and decent ball skills. I think he is already better than Larry was as a freshman(RS vs True). Next year might be a small step back(I'm not sure about that, i'm excited to see) but then we should be back on the upward trajectory. The future is bright.

Good post, GOB Bluth
He just said the exact same thing I did above...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:Objectively speaking there is no way the Cowboys can be or should be expected to win this upcoming tournament.

They are a flawed and somewhat one-dimensional team that struggles to score points consistently. In my opinion they are the 5th or 6th best team in the conference.

If they do win the MWC title it would be a monumental upset story...albeit one I would love to see unfold.
Objectivity does not equal your opinion. The rest might be able to catch a whale....with that kind of bait. Which, In my opinion, makes it seem like you are trying too hard.

Go Pokes!!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:Objectively speaking there is no way the Cowboys can be or should be expected to win this upcoming tournament.

Objectivity does not equal your opinion. The rest might be able to catch a whale....with that kind of bait. Which, In my opinion, makes it seem like you are trying too hard.

Go Pokes!!
On the contrary, sir, I believe you are the one who is trying too hard to decipher my notes.

If you have watched this team all season & recognize their strengths and weakness' I believe it is foolhardy and complete lunacy to expect this team to win the MWC championship this season.

Try one more time.

You cannot live on love alone, and talent usually wins out over hope.

I'll be rooting right along with you - but if you expect or even believe this team is capable of winning the MWC this season I fear you are in for a massive letdown.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:

Good post, GOB Bluth
He just said the exact same thing I did above...
Well you had a very good post too. ;)
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 71 times

okcwyocowboy wrote:
WilyWapiti wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:We have not made it out of the quarter final round since 2007 and we've never won the MWC tournament. I would be happy if we won our first game. In fact, I believe we are a better team than Utah state and losing to them would be a disappointment. After that, everything is gravy.
+1

This is the loser mentality that I would like to get as far away from anything Wyoming as possible.
Rooting for your school with realistic expectations is not a "loser" mentality. If you consistently ran 15 minutes for 5k and your main competitor ran 14 minutes, would you now expect to beat him just because an important competion was looming? Of course not. We are a decent team that needs other teams to play down or poorly for us to compete. Not saying it can't happen. That's the beauty of sports. But there's a reason the Vegas bookies have us at 11 to 1 to win the tournament.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

15 min 5K......wow
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

For my first MWC tournament game watching the Cowgirls last night I have to say now I understand why the pokes sell all the allotted tickets so fast. That place was far more brown and gold than any other color. The fan support this year is going to be pretty special I hope it pushes the Cowboys to a victory.