There's money in replacing San Jose with Wichita, lots of it.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

If you still don't understand exactly what San Jose provides. Let me review.

They are consistently ranked in the 330 range of college basketball RPI.

They provided TWO games a year for almost every team in the MWC against a team with an RPI anchor. It might not seem like much. It's the difference from being the 6th-7th ranked league to the 12th-13th ranked league.

The draw of 20+ games vs. RPI 335 is enough to cost your league a bid to the NCAA tournament. It provides that service every season San Jose is in the league. San Jose makes you a one bid league almost every year they are in the MWC. They are consistently ranked in the 330 range. They do it almost every season.

So, if San Jose costs you a bid every season, for the MWC, that is an immediate surrender of almost the entire pile of NCAA credits. Instead of getting four to seven credits a season, you get one or two. You get that one or two for the entire time is San Jose is in the league.

San Jose is the stepping stone to MWC basketball becoming a one bid league permanently.

Wichita State is consistently ranked in the top 25 of the RPI. They provide two games a year against almost every team in conference vs an RPI of 25. They have the net effect of making everyone's ranking in conference raise.

San Jose has to be kicked out or the pile of NCAA revenue is likely gone. That's reality.

If we replace San Jose with Wichita, we don't change the structure of the contract, but we cement the MWC basketball league as a league that is 6th or 7th, occasionally second instead of 12th or 14th with an occasional 8th place finish.

We need to boot San Jose and replace them with Wichita.

The future of MWC basketball depends on it.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

I agree. I thought it was foolish to add San Jose in the first place.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Now this post I agree with fully. It doesn't divide money up more AND while it may not add inherent dollar value in a TV contract, it does have other positives for the league.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

There is no reason that I can see why Wichita State isnt added immediately. ESPECIALLY IF THEY WANT TO JOIN! Hell! What is Thompson thinking. He should be BEGGING them to join
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:Now this post I agree with fully. It doesn't divide money up more AND while it may not add inherent dollar value in a TV contract, it does have other positives for the league.
It has a lot of benefits.

It changes you from a one bid league to a multi-bid league. That's the most important part. It preserves the pile of NCAA credits the MWC worked so hard to build. We can't afford to take a pay cut from basketball right now. No one in the MWC can.

It allows our conference teams to continue to receive the occasional high seed we've received from the seeding committee.

It adds value to the product. Gone is the obligation to broadcast any games by San Jose. San Jose doesn't bring one rivalry game to the entire inventory. Instead of broadcasting San Jose games out of a sense of obligation, you get two games vs. Wichita vs. almost every team in the league, every season. That means UNM/Wichita, SDSU/Wichita, and Wyo/Wichita. They provide multiple good broadcast opportunities for our partners to sell. It immediately makes the product more valuable.

In addition, it doesn't cost anyone a part of their shares. Everyone gets the same share as before the add, because Wichita takes San Jose's share.

This has to happen.

Giddy up Cowboy Joe. We need to get this done A.S.A.P.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

But they currently don't play football and SJSU does. Not saying I'm against Wichita State joining. I am very much for it but you can't just replace SJSU with Wichita. Much more difficult than that.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

Stones/glass houses

"We should remove SJSU because there are better alternatives." I am sure some members feel the same about Wyoming.

Of course bring Wichita State aboard regardless of the situation with SJSU. Huge need to strengthen the MWC now or forever face irrelevancy.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Yeah I think Craig Thompson doesn't think things thru clearly, Bring on the Shockers!!!!!
wyoming3
Buckaroo

From Wichita States's perspective, why in the world would they want to join the MWC? What gain would they get that would be better then what they get now? I don't see any reason they would jump a conference they almost yearly win to the MWC where the travel is worse and historically speaking has better teams.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

wyoming3 wrote:From Wichita States's perspective, why in the world would they want to join the MWC? What gain would they get that would be better then what they get now? I don't see any reason they would jump a conference they almost yearly win to the MWC where the travel is worse and historically speaking has better teams.
What?
wyoming3
Buckaroo

Is that supposed to answer the questions?
poke_addict
Cowpoke

I just didn't read your post right the first time. I was confused about the second half of your post then I re read it and it makes sense now my bad. It's a good question to ask why leave a conference where you are the top dog. The president of Wichita is ready to take the program to the next level. I don't know if you have listened to this interview yet but this Keith talking to Wichita's beat writer on the issue. https://twitter.com/kfbcsportszone/stat ... 3791624192
wyoming3
Buckaroo

Thanks I haven't heard that yet. I appreciate the link. Here's another question, right now we have 11 basketball playing schools. Wichita State would take that to 12, do you think that addition would be enough to lure Gonzaga? Then obviously one more member to take that to 14 basketball playing members. My first thought for that additional member was Denver or UVU. Any thoughts?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

Wichita joins with basketball to get a football conference for their new team. That's not too difficult to understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
poke_addict
Cowpoke

Well I don't how much interest Gonzaga would have in joining the MWC but it would be a grand slam add for basketball. I think we would have a 5 bid league if we were able add them and Wichita. Wichita has expressed interest in joining and even possibly adding football. According to the comish he doesn't want anything to do with schools that don't play on the gridiron. I understand that football is the big money maker but he needs to realize how good of a basketball conference we could have. I definitely don't see zaga adding football so until we start adding basketball members only I don't see it happening. As far as a 14th member in this perfect scenario UTEP is the front runner
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

WSU only wants in for football, don't they? So assuming Gonzaga doesn't want to add football, why would they want to come? I mean it would be a great get obviously but I don't know why they would want to, at least not right now
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Cowboy Junky wrote:If you still don't understand exactly what San Jose provides. Let me review.

They are consistently ranked in the 330 range of college basketball RPI.

They provided TWO games a year for almost every team in the MWC against a team with an RPI anchor. It might not seem like much. It's the difference from being the 6th-7th ranked league to the 12th-13th ranked league.

The draw of 20+ games vs. RPI 335 is enough to cost your league a bid to the NCAA tournament. It provides that service every season San Jose is in the league. San Jose makes you a one bid league almost every year they are in the MWC. They are consistently ranked in the 330 range. They do it almost every season.

So, if San Jose costs you a bid every season, for the MWC, that is an immediate surrender of almost the entire pile of NCAA credits. Instead of getting four to seven credits a season, you get one or two. You get that one or two for the entire time is San Jose is in the league.

San Jose is the stepping stone to MWC basketball becoming a one bid league permanently.

Wichita State is consistently ranked in the top 25 of the RPI. They provide two games a year against almost every team in conference vs an RPI of 25. They have the net effect of making everyone's ranking in conference raise.

San Jose has to be kicked out or the pile of NCAA revenue is likely gone. That's reality.

If we replace San Jose with Wichita, we don't change the structure of the contract, but we cement the MWC basketball league as a league that is 6th or 7th, occasionally second instead of 12th or 14th with an occasional 8th place finish.

We need to boot San Jose and replace them with Wichita.

The future of MWC basketball depends on it.
Actually money would be lost and quite a bit because Basketball isn't paying the bills Football is and SJSU Football while not the best still keeps beating us. Looking at this from a Basketball prospective isn't logical it's just hatred for SJSU.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 49 times

Wyo2dal wrote:Actually money would be lost and quite a bit because Basketball isn't paying the bills Football is and SJSU Football while not the best still keeps beating us. Looking at this from a Basketball prospective isn't logical it's just hatred for SJSU.
Plus there's also the question of how to kick SJSU outta the conference without inviting lawsuits against the MW by SJSU!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Wichita state
gonzaga
houston
Byu

Must adds

The maybes should be
long beach st
pepperdina
tulsa
tulane