LARRY SHYATT IS OUT. ALLEN EDWARDS IS IN. THAT'S A GOOD THING.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Considering how strongly you adore Bohl, I don't understand your criticism of Shyatt.

Don't like Shyatt criticizing fans? Well Bohl has dismissed fans numerous times who have expected more team success by preaching "the process" approach.

Don't like Shyatt's gameplan? As opposed to having multiple backs, ticking the play clock down to zero, grinding for 3 yards at a time, and never blitzing?

Beating ranked teams on national TV isn't considered program-rising? SDSU was ranked 5th I believe when we beat them one year, CU Boulder was ranked during one meeting I believe, and 2 different Shyatt-led teams were ranked in top 25 polls at some point during their seasons. Shyatt may have never beat UK or Duke, but he never lost consecutive games at home to North Dakota and Eastern Michigan.

I'm not petitioning for Shyatt to be inducted into any Hall of Fame, but I just find it ironic how a faithful Bohl supporter can dismiss the last 5 years of Wyoming basketball. My bold take on things: Larry Shyatt accomplished more at Wyoming than Coach Bohl ever will.

With that said, I appreciate the effort you put in to the website and promoting Wyoming athletics, even if I think you're an idiot sometimes :D haha just kidding. Good work on the new website, although I'll take this opportunity to let you know I feel like it is too cluttered with pictures when viewing on mobile. :twocents:
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:Considering how strongly you adore Bohl, I don't understand your criticism of Shyatt.

Don't like Shyatt criticizing fans? Well Bohl has dismissed fans numerous times who have expected more team success by preaching "the process" approach.

Don't like Shyatt's gameplan? As opposed to having multiple backs, ticking the play clock down to zero, grinding for 3 yards at a time, and never blitzing?

Beating ranked teams on national TV isn't considered program-rising? SDSU was ranked 5th I believe when we beat them one year, CU Boulder was ranked during one meeting I believe, and 2 different Shyatt-led teams were ranked in top 25 polls at some point during their seasons. Shyatt may have never beat UK or Duke, but he never lost consecutive games at home to North Dakota and Eastern Michigan.

I'm not petitioning for Shyatt to be inducted into any Hall of Fame, but I just find it ironic how a faithful Bohl supporter can dismiss the last 5 years of Wyoming basketball. My bold take on things: Larry Shyatt accomplished more at Wyoming than Coach Bohl ever will.

With that said, I appreciate the effort you put in to the website and promoting Wyoming athletics, even if I think you're an idiot sometimes :D haha just kidding. Good work on the new website, although I'll take this opportunity to let you know I feel like it is too cluttered with pictures when viewing on mobile. :twocents:
I absolutely hate this. No matter who the coach is
.44caliberkiller
Blog Team

I agree with Dino that I'm not sad to see Larry Shyatt go. I also wouldn't have been sad if Larry had stayed. I liked Shyatt but there were several thing he did that I didn't agree with. Not playing freshman, no offensive rebounding and not rebounding on our free throw attempts just to name a few. While I'm not sad to see Larry go and I"m excited about the future of Wyoming basketball I thought Dino's article was a little short sighted and unfair to Larry. There is no point in saying "IF" we didn't win that one championship blah blah blah. We did win the championship and that's all there is to it. Also he's willing to play the if game with our MTN west championship run but doesn't go into some of the circumstances outside of Shyatt's control that lead to our less than spectacular seasons. How different would we view Larry's tenure had Martinez not been an idiot and Nance not been injured? My guess at the very least would be 2 NIT's and 1 NCAA's with a markedly better conference record.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 255 times

I will miss Shyatt as a human being, but I think he under achieved considering he had Leonard Washington + Larry + Josh Adams. He didn't recruit great. I hated his offense and rebounding strategy. It was time.. Excited for the Edwards Era.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

.44caliberkiller wrote:I agree with Dino that I'm not sad to see Larry Shyatt go. I also wouldn't have been sad if Larry had stayed. I liked Shyatt but there were several thing he did that I didn't agree with. Not playing freshman, no offensive rebounding and not rebounding on our free throw attempts just to name a few. While I'm not sad to see Larry go and I"m excited about the future of Wyoming basketball I thought Dino's article was a little short sighted and unfair to Larry. There is no point in saying "IF" we didn't win that one championship blah blah blah. We did win the championship and that's all there is to it. Also he's willing to play the if game with our MTN west championship run but doesn't go into some of the circumstances outside of Shyatt's control that lead to our less than spectacular seasons. How different would we view Larry's tenure had Martinez not been an idiot and Nance not been injured? My guess at the very least would be 2 NIT's and 1 NCAA's with a markedly better conference record.
Larry had some bad luck with fights, injuries, and sicknesses. But, pulled a team from the cellar and won a title in 4 years.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Good read but have to agree with Cali and .44cal. Its unfair to say Shyatt did just an ok job. We had momentum going very well in multiple seasons then the train derailed. We were 13-0 when the Luke incident happened and I don't know if you remember but he was our leading scorer. I also hate it when you say our tourney win was some fairly tale poop. When completely healthy and focused we were the best team (Maybe second best) in the league that year. I understand Shyatt's record may be inflated with weak opponents but we made a huge step with Papa shy from the Heath days. We had a completely different image from game one under Shy, with the same players. I am definitely excited about the future of cowboy basketball and do think this is the best all around move for the program on all parts, but Shy deserves some more love. I also agree that he was no Jim Brandenburg because no one has came close to that level since. Anyway just so you remember Bohl has had the worst first two seasons out of our last 3 coaches and you are expecting another poop show this season. Just saying at least Shy could beat top ranked teams and never made us feel self conscious about being poke fanatics can't say that about Bohl.....yet!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Where was the victory over the 5 years where anyone could claim; 'that's it, we are a different program now...Wyoming basketball has changed irrevocably."

It never happened.

Yes, some nice wins over 5 years that I noted in the story. However, how many bad losses or bad losses following an inspirational victory?

What were the Pokes under Shyatt against New Mexico...2-8 I believe?

UNLV? 3-7.

San Diego State? 3-7.

That's 8-22 against the 3 measuring sticks in our conference.

Boise State? 5-5.

Air Force? 3-6! Including BSU & AF that's 5 teams noted with a collective 5 year Shyatt record of 16-33.

If the MWC run hadn't occurred (and NOBODY realistically believed the Pokes were going to win that thing that year) his entire resume is shaded completely different.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

U have to realize the dumpster fire he inherited, and how he over achieved with poor talent. He taught defensive fundamentals and brought back a level of respect to our team. His one knock is that he couldn't consistently bring in high level recruits, but Edwards should... I hope
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

carbonpoke wrote:U have to realize the dumpster fire he inherited, and how he over achieved with poor talent. He taught defensive fundamentals and brought back a level of respect to our team. His one knock is that he couldn't consistently bring in high level recruits, but Edwards should... I hope
I get all that, it is noted in the piece the dumpster fire he took over, in addition, I have noted several positive elements that Shyatt brought to the table over the 5 years he was in Laramie.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

I'm not saying anyone here is satisfied where the program is at, not even close. I don't how much Schroyer ball you witnessed. That was a very low point in the hoops program. It could have been much worse. Just think how bad we would be if Ewing never played for us.

If you are comparing a "different program" from a Schroyer team to a Shyatt team then you are completely blind if you didn't see the difference.

Yes our record against the power 3 of the conference wasn't great under Shy but at least we had a chance against them. We played a lot of close games against those teams specially New Mexico. We never had a chance with a schroyer team.

I mean 8 wins over the top 25 seems like a different program. Cracking both polls felt a lot different from before. I know this is an odd subject to you but the tourney championship was definitely a different program from before. The creation of Dunk Town was something new. We had our first 1st round draft pick in 20 years I don't see how you don't see the progress that was made. The only thing schroyer ever had going for him was Brandon Ewing and he didn't even recruit him.

Saying NOBODY thought they had a chance during the MWC championships is a bit far fetched. There was a ton of national writers that had Wyoming as a potential bracket buster. I also know for a fact I wasn't the only pokes fan that liked our chances with a healthy team.

Shyatt came in and laid the foundation for the future. Have we reached our limits I sure as hell hope not. But there were a ton of signs that lead me to believe the program is on the right track. Trust me there were a ton of things I didn't like about Shy's teams and some of the complaints. I just feel people are starting to be bitter towards him because he left the program. He left the program in a much BETTER spot than he found it and that is that.

Anyway here is to the future and hope that Edwards really takes us to the next level!
poke_addict
Cowpoke

Not saying the coaching change wasn't a good thing either. https://twitter.com/BFoster91/status/743600893744947201
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

poke_addict wrote:I'm not saying anyone here is satisfied where the program is at, not even close. I don't how much Schroyer ball you witnessed. That was a very low point in the hoops program. It could have been much worse. Just think how bad we would be if Ewing never played for us.

If you are comparing a "different program" from a Schroyer team to a Shyatt team then you are completely blind if you didn't see the difference.

Yes our record against the power 3 of the conference wasn't great under Shy but at least we had a chance against them. We played a lot of close games against those teams specially New Mexico. We never had a chance with a schroyer team.

I mean 8 wins over the top 25 seems like a different program. Cracking both polls felt a lot different from before. I know this is an odd subject to you but the tourney championship was definitely a different program from before. The creation of Dunk Town was something new. We had our first 1st round draft pick in 20 years I don't see how you don't see the progress that was made. The only thing schroyer ever had going for him was Brandon Ewing and he didn't even recruit him.

Saying NOBODY thought they had a chance during the MWC championships is a bit far fetched. There was a ton of national writers that had Wyoming as a potential bracket buster. I also know for a fact I wasn't the only pokes fan that liked our chances with a healthy team.

Shyatt came in and laid the foundation for the future. Have we reached our limits I sure as hell hope not. But there were a ton of signs that lead me to believe the program is on the right track. Trust me there were a ton of things I didn't like about Shy's teams and some of the complaints. I just feel people are starting to be bitter towards him because he left the program. He left the program in a much BETTER spot than he found it and that is that.

Anyway here is to the future and hope that Edwards really takes us to the next level!
I more than appreciate the feedback, however, I believe you may have missed the numerous positives I mentioned with Shyatt at the helm the last 5 years. Write a rebuttal column and I'll post it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I've always hated the argument "If X didn't happen..."

It did happen. Wyoming did make a magical run through the Mountain West tournament. The Cowboys did beat the top two teams in the league. Wyoming did advance to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 13 years and the second time in 27 years.

Those things happened. Don't try to change history.

When you take over a team when it's at the bottom, it takes a while to get the program turned around. For Shyatt to get the team to the tournament just four years after back-to-back 10-win teams is a very good accomplishment.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:I've always hated the argument "If X didn't happen..."

It did happen. Wyoming did make a magical run through the Mountain West tournament. The Cowboys did beat the top two teams in the league. Wyoming did advance to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 13 years and the second time in 27 years.

When you take over a team when it's at the bottom, it takes a while to get the program turned around. For Shyatt to get the team to the tournament just four years after back-to-back 10-win teams is a very good accomplishment.
I never said it wasn't a good accomplishment. Anomaly like and extremely unexpected, yes, but a more than good accomplishment. One of the great unscripted and inspirational moments of sports theater I can recall. While Wyoming did win that tournament they were not the best team in the tournament. They got hot at the right time while the best team in that tournament, SD State, underachieved big time. It brought me a tremendous sense of good feeling during a time I was burying my late father.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Yabadabadoo wrote:

I never said it wasn't a good accomplishment. Anomaly like and extremely unexpected, yes, but a more than good accomplishment. One of the great unscripted and inspirational moments of sports theater I can recall. While Wyoming did win that tournament they were not the best team in the tournament. They got hot at the right time while the best team in that tournament, SD State, underachieved big time. It brought me a tremendous sense of good feeling during a time I was burying my late father.
It was not extremely unexpected. I expected it. I would not have booked my trip to vegas if I didn't expect to have a good shot to win the tourney that year. My brother and I book our trip to vegas early in the Conference season because we saw how good the team was. We were most definitely one of the top 2-3 teams in the conference playing as well as anyone. Then late in the season we had the mono bug hit that lead to us dropping some games and dropping to 4th place in the conference but by tournament time we were healthy again so I had plenty of confidence we could win it. were we the favorites? no but I knew we had a good shot at winning.

It was not some magical Cinderella run. It was a good team that got all of its parts back together and clicked at the right time. To frame it as such diminishes the accomplishment of the team, in my opinion.

As far as Shy goes. He was exactly what we needed when we hired him and he did so many great things for UW. Aside from some of the bad luck I wouldn't change a thing. I think Edwards is going to be an amazing coach and take us to even higher levels and when he does Larry Shyatt will deserve a lot of the credit for setting the foundation to build upon and also bringing in Alan Edwards.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:

It was not extremely unexpected. I expected it. I would not have booked my trip to vegas if I didn't expect to have a good shot to win the tourney that year. My brother and I book our trip to vegas early in the Conference season because we saw how good the team was. We were most definitely one of the top 2-3 teams in the conference playing as well as anyone. Then late in the season we had the mono bug hit that lead to us dropping some games and dropping to 4th place in the conference but by tournament time we were healthy again so I had plenty of confidence we could win it. were we the favorites? no but I knew we had a good shot at winning.

It was not some magical Cinderella run. It was a good team that got all of its parts back together and clicked at the right time. To frame it as such diminishes the accomplishment of the team, in my opinion.

As far as Shy goes. He was exactly what we needed when we hired him and he did so many great things for UW. Aside from some of the bad luck I wouldn't change a thing. I think Edwards is going to be an amazing coach and take us to even higher levels and when he does Larry Shyatt will deserve a lot of the credit for setting the foundation to build upon and also bringing in Alan Edwards.
Agree 100%. The Pokes were playing well until the mono cases. And, then the players got over their illness, they were able to take over where they left off. I expected a big run.
randy
Buckaroo

All this coming from a man who consistently praised Shyatt for years. Transparent attempt to gain access to the program? Hmmmmm......
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

You can't compare shyatt to Edwards until Edwards coaches a game. Maybe it's a great hire, maybe it stinks.

I agree with then other posters. It wasn't a magical a run. Each year we looked better and better and we all anticipated Nance's final year. We were in first through the first half of conference play. Sure, the second half didn't work our line we wanted but I booked my first trip to the tournament because I saw something in this team the whole year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:You can't compare shyatt to Edwards until Edwards coaches a game. Maybe it's a great hire, maybe it stinks.

I agree with then other posters. It wasn't a magical a run. Each year we looked better and better and we all anticipated Nance's final year. We were in first through the first half of conference play. Sure, the second half didn't work our line we wanted but I booked my first trip to the tournament because I saw something in this team the whole year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At this point a few months before the Pokes once again tip–off it's impossible to say one way or the other.

Look it, as excited as I am (and maybe you too) it may turn out that Edwards can't coach basketball successfully no matter how hard he tries. The proof will soon be in the pudding.

Is Allen Edwards the guy to get Wyoming where we all want to go?

I don't know and neither do you.

But soon we're about to find out.

Also, heading into the 2015 tournament the Pokes were listed at 50/1 odds to win the thing. It was a HUGE upset.