CALLING ALL UW ALUMS!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TheHaubbit
Buckaroo

Hi Everyone,

My name is Andrew Haubner. I'm the local sports anchor up at K2 in Casper. This week I'm getting started on a multi-part story that will air in November about the history and tradition of the Wyoming Beer Song. Bob Belser, the band director, points to the 87 Iowa-Wyoming Holiday Bowl as the most likely time of the song making its' way to Laramie.

I was wondering if there were any students, or even band members, from that time on this board that might have any insight and would be willing to speak with me (and, if you're in Wyoming, willing to talk about it on camera).

Either comment here or shoot me an email at [email protected] if you have any insight and are willing to chat.

Thanks all!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I reached out an old friend from high school and college that was in the marching band back then. Yes, he remembers when it started and the story behind it, as he was a trombone player (trombones start the beer song). He said one of the other trombone players started it. I copied your post and sent it to him on Facebook messenger. Hopefully, he will reach out. He lives in Denver these days.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

I have friends in the band from when I went to school 88-93 that I can see if I can pick their brains and get to you about info and such, they are outta state and we are approaching the "senior moments" at times but i'll talk with them and see if they can offer any info for you thanx
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

I know there's at least two band alums that currently post here... they've played their share of beer songs.
ImageImageImageImage
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 117 times

MrTitleist wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:14 am I know there's at least two band alums that currently post here... they've played their share of beer songs.
One of them was a trombone player, too. (The one that's not me)

Best memory of the beer song I've got is when we decided to do a full band version. We made our set look like a beer mug, then turned to the student section and played it out as we marched off the field towards the home sideline. The War was going nuts!