A Question for Brent Vigen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

Interesting information in this tweet. The entire thread is definitely worth a read. I also would like to know the answer to this question.
https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/statu ... 7596160000 https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/statu ... 6638605312
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I think the bulk of us have been saying just this since BV showed up on campus. He doesn't seem to understand that HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN CHANGE WHICH PLAYS ARE CALLED....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 624 times
Been liked: 256 times

Just puts a spotlight on how retard Vigen is. Makes literally no sense that we didn't pass more on first and second down. And if our run game sucked so bad, as Vigen himself noted, why not dink and dunk and run some short passes to compensate for the lack of run game? Why run it so much when you suck at it? That's insanity. It was insanity. I have zero faith in him.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I think it's a philosophical issue. Bohl/Vigen are rarely going to air it out as much as people want, even if the running game struggles. It's a ball-control philosophy, keeping the clock running.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It's NOT a philosophical issue if you refuse to adapt to reality. The clock won't run if you can't get first downs as Woods gets dropped for a loss of 2 on first down, and then gains 4 yards on the next down, forcing the QB to throw an incomplete on third and long. That's what we saw happening all season long, and we won despite that. We had games where our TOP was ridiculously bad. Against CSU, we had the ball for 22 minutes. We ONLY won because our defense held up.

In that specific game, Woods ran 12 times for 19 yards (long of 6), Overstreet ran 7 times for 43 (long of 16).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 pm It's NOT a philosophical issue if you refuse to adapt to reality. The clock won't run if you can't get first downs as Woods gets dropped for a loss of 2 on first down, and then gains 4 yards on the next down, forcing the QB to throw an incomplete on third and long. That's what we saw happening all season long, and we won despite that. We had games where our TOP was ridiculously bad. Against CSU, we had the ball for 22 minutes. We ONLY won because our defense held up.

In that specific game, Woods ran 12 times for 19 yards (long of 6), Overstreet ran 7 times for 43 (long of 16).
To your point, we ranked 109 in time of possession last year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I just read through that whole thread. Take off the homer glasses and he makes really solid points.

I think this is an adjustment from FCS that has to be made. Vigen's own words were about "being in" every game. That is the philosophy not top. In Vigen's best year, we were 56th in top and that was against weak defenses.

Vigen's claim of being in most games is misleading. We were only in most games because of the D.

The point about how little Josh was used is excellent especially when considering how bad the run was. Refusal to adjust to the players you have is concerning. Think about this Twitter thread without homer goggles; very solid points and puts data to the concerns.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am Vigen's claim of being in most games is misleading. We were only in most games because of the D.

The point about how little Josh was used is excellent especially when considering how bad the run was. Refusal to adjust to the players you have is concerning. Think about this Twitter thread without homer goggles; very solid points and puts data to the concerns.
Completely agree with this.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Where is the tweet?
Steamboat
Buckaroo

joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:59 pm I think it's a philosophical issue. Bohl/Vigen are rarely going to air it out as much as people want, even if the running game struggles. It's a ball-control philosophy, keeping the clock running.
I thought running the ball was more controlling the clock, than passing...
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Steamboat wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:59 pm I think it's a philosophical issue. Bohl/Vigen are rarely going to air it out as much as people want, even if the running game struggles. It's a ball-control philosophy, keeping the clock running.
I thought running the ball was more controlling the clock, than passing...
It is
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 amVigen's claim of being in most games is misleading. We were only in most games because of the D.
That is part of the philosophy.

When you have a great defense, you want to put them in the best positions possible. A lot more can go wrong in the passing game than it can in the running game. Keep the clock moving, keep the defense rested, keep winning the field position battle as much as you can.

For these types of teams led by a great defense, the offense will almost always try to get the ground game going first. QB throwing an interception in his own territory puts the defense in a horrible position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I'm sorry, but there's no defense for Vigen's play calling from last season. All of your points are only valid when you actually CAN move the ball on the ground. We didn't keep the clock moving. We didn't win the field position battles. We didn't keep the defense rested because they played 35-40 minutes every freaking game. We won because of some amazing comebacks orchestrated by Allen.

We won DESPITE the offensive play calling.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 pm I'm sorry, but there's no defense for Vigen's play calling from last season. All of your points are only valid when you actually CAN move the ball on the ground. We didn't keep the clock moving. We didn't win the field position battles. We didn't keep the defense rested because they played 35-40 minutes every freaking game. We won because of some amazing comebacks orchestrated by Allen.

So he should've switched to a spread air raid midseason? You don't panic and blow everything up because it's not working.

Did Allen come up with his own playcalls when we made those comebacks? Must've since he's the only person you think deserves credit.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 pm I'm sorry, but there's no defense for Vigen's play calling from last season. All of your points are only valid when you actually CAN move the ball on the ground. We didn't keep the clock moving. We didn't win the field position battles. We didn't keep the defense rested because they played 35-40 minutes every freaking game. We won because of some amazing comebacks orchestrated by Allen.

So he should've switched to a spread air raid midseason? You don't panic and blow everything up because it's not working.

Did Allen come up with his own playcalls when we made those comebacks? Must've since he's the only person you think deserves credit.
Normally I ignore these types of comments but there isn't 1 damn person suggesting the offense change drastically, just the playcalling. Last I checked this offense does have pass plays. You know, the ones that yielded 6+ yards per attempt vs. a little over 3 yards per rush. Your run game sucks and you have the potential #1 draft pick at QB. Hmmm. Perhaps tilting the playcalling a little more to pass makes sense. Don't even start with top bs. We were almost dead last in the category.

Sheesh.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WyoBrandX wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 pm Where is the tweet?
Click on pic/link in 1st post by Laradise.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Air raid? No. But adjusting your play calling some to make the most of the players you have, Yes.

Why is it, when anyone questions play calling that gave us one the bottom 10 offenses in the nation, people think that means we are advocating an air raid offense only? Our offense game plan has pass plays in it. It has screens and 10 yard outs, and tight end crossing routes. All sorts of safer passing plays that are never used.

It doesn't mean go to a 5 wide set and pass every down. It means mix up the play calling to the skills of your current team within your existing offensive playbook so you don't have an offense that goes 3 and out more often then nearly all other teams. Something vigen has flatly refused to do since being here.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Every team we played knew we'd run Woods straight up the middle on 98% of our 1st downs...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

Vigen would be fired at any High School in Florida for his play calling.
Its nice to have friends at the top. thank your lucky stars Vigen
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

I think it was a little premature to promote Vigen to associate head coach, but I also realize Bohl and Vigen have been working together for awhile. He has yet to prove himself at this level and as many of us have pointed out, there are some major concerns!

One can only hope that Coach Bohl has taken notice of our deficiency and lack of competent play calling. Another season like this and BV should be given a hand shake and shown the door. Unacceptable!