Absolutely disgusting.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Landiegopoke
Ranch Hand

our defense is o k. its the defensive couching that sucks.
jaxcowboy93
Buckaroo

We were 9 point dogs going on the road. To be up 14 with 7 minutes to go was outstanding IMO. We got conservative with our play calling which hurt, and we went into prevent which hurt. I thought the defense played okay for most of the game, and I am excited about the turnover ratio they created.

We needed to win this game, and they went there and got it done.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

We played better than the score shows and the team can really take some positives from this game. Some terrible coaching calls and a prevent defense that didn't prevent anything really kept us from dominating that game.
I'm good for 3!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

None of our units played well today, but they all did just enough for us to win. The defense gave up over 500 yards again, but they also gave the offense great field position with the turn overs and even scored a TD themselves. The offense only had one scoring drive that started on our side of the field. They couldn't seem to keep a drive going. But they weren't handing the ball over on every other possession as BG were doing. On special teams we had short kick offs and a missed FG, but we also recovered a fumble and blocked a FG and PAT. So, no unit was stellar, they all did just enough.

Hell, we're 3 - 0
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

nirv117 wrote:I despise prevent defense more than anything. Id rather play straight up and make them beat you.

Glad we won.

That's the way I saw it too nirv. When we went into the 4th quarter, we had the momentum, and then we went way, way too conservative on offense and into a prevent defense with a three man rush and absolutely no pressure on the QB. Their QB picked us apart and went up and down the field at will. No pressure on the QB = no pass defense. If it wasn't for a few extraordinary individual efforts on defense, we lose this game.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm wondering what's up with Tashaun Gipson. He's getting torched every game - last game he was just lucky that a crappy throw bailed him out.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Tashaun is so hot and cold. Sometimes he plays like a pro other times he just looks lost out there. He has the ability just finds himself in the wrong place more often than not.
I'm good for 3!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Everyone that said it - Absolutely Right! PRESSURE THE QB. That is when things went best (not real well, but best). The coaches apparently didn't figure that out for the last BG series, but everybody else watching did - even my dog looked at me in askance when the Pokes started rushing three. Doesn't English know that his secondary need all the help it can get?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

gopokes1399 wrote:I just dont get how people can complain with a W on the road! we won thats that!
Then you don't get football. 3/4 of the team played at least two quarters. The other 1/4 played just barely a quarter and we just barely won. If "good 'nuff's" good enough for you, then enjoy mediocrity. I expect excellence across the board and it's more than obvious that English isn't getting that from his guys and Christensen isn't getting that from English.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

What the hell is wrong with the OP and everybody else that complains about a win on the road when we were 9 point dogs? Jesus Christ!! We are 3-0!

Yes, we need to make improvements. But the Pokes won and that, my Poke brethren, is a very good day, indeed.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

CowboyCO wrote:What the hell is wrong with the OP and everybody else that complains about a win on the road when we were 9 point dogs? Jesus Christ!! We are 3-0!

Yes, we need to make improvements. But the Pokes won and that, my Poke brethren, is a very good day, indeed.
We won, yes. We'll take it. But the play calling, particularly by the defense is what is pissing us off so much. We got 6 turnovers thanks to an aggressive D. Then the playcalling let up and turned them timid and nearly sent it into OT. That is the problem.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

CowboyCO wrote:What the hell is wrong with the OP and everybody else that complains about a win on the road when we were 9 point dogs? Jesus Christ!! We are 3-0!

9 point dogs against a team picked to finish at the bottom of the MAC. We hardly made a case for the MWC as an AQ contender with that win.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyoirish
Ranch Hand

Wyovanian wrote:

9 point dogs against a team picked to finish at the bottom of the MAC. We hardly made a case for the MWC as an AQ contender with that win.
Yeah, come to think of it I wish we would have f#cking lost this game. :willybs: Unbelievable!

3-0. We won, and weren't expected to. Get over it and watch these young guys improve.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: 9 point dogs against a team picked to finish at the bottom of the MAC. We hardly made a case for the MWC as an AQ contender with that win.
Like I heard earlier after the game, you could make an argument Wyoming opened the 2011 season with the three worst teams they'll see all season. With that said, I think its okay for people to get excited. This program went 3-9 last year.....I'd be a stoked too.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

J-Rod wrote:
Wyovanian wrote: 9 point dogs against a team picked to finish at the bottom of the MAC. We hardly made a case for the MWC as an AQ contender with that win.
Like I heard earlier after the game, you could make an argument Wyoming opened the 2011 season with the three worst teams they'll see all season. With that said, I think its okay for people to get excited. This program went 3-9 last year.....I'd be a stoked too.
UNLV, CSU, and New Mexico are better than Bowling Green?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: UNLV, CSU, and New Mexico are better than Bowling Green?
UNM, I'm not sure. The others? Quite possibly. It was a MAC school after all. And one that is expected to be average at best this year.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Wyoirish wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

Yeah, come to think of it I wish we would have f#cking lost this game. :willybs: Unbelievable!

3-0. We won, and weren't expected to. Get over it and watch these young guys improve.
The young offense probably will improve. Not sure if the defense under English is capable of improvement. It's kind of like pumping air into a tire with a split sidewall.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Like I said. Before the game if you told most of us we'd win 28-27 we'd be happy.

But we had a chance to really have a statement win on the road, up 28-14 midway through the 4th I was hoping for a double-digit victory heading into Nebraska.

Hell even if we had just run out the clock and won at the end 28-21 I think you wouldn't hear any complaining, but that last minute was so unbelievably horrible it really soured a good road win.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 156 times

It's ok to be upset about defensive play in the 4th quarter, but we should all calm down because we can't do anything about it. Defense scored a TD and gave good field position. I thought the offense was rolling in the 3rd quarter and beginning of 4th. We then got scared and stop doing what we had been doing. The 4th downs killed us because we don't have a kicking game. We will lose games this year because we don't have a solid FG kicker. We should be able to get points every time we are inside the 30. It will bite us soon.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:It's ok to be upset about defensive play in the 4th quarter, but we should all calm down because we can't do anything about it. Defense scored a TD and gave good field position. I thought the offense was rolling in the 3rd quarter and beginning of 4th. We then got scared and stop doing what we had been doing. The 4th downs killed us because we don't have a kicking game. We will lose games this year because we don't have a solid FG kicker. We should be able to get points every time we are inside the 30. It will bite us soon.
I've always said we should only recruit kickers from sea level, and keep them there practicing until the day before the first game. Watch how much fun Nebraska's kicking unit has in pre-game. Those lowlanders have a blast drilling the uprights from sixty and seventy yards.