bowl beatdown hurting recruiting

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrWyoming
Buckaroo

I can't help but think that nationally televised beatdown has hurt recruiting. 2 decommits since then including chamagua. Playing run oriented temple was definitely worst case scenario for wyoming all the way around.

Makes one wonder: Is it better to barely miss a bowl game, or make the new mexico bowl and get beatdown and run over on national tv?

:brick:
MrWyoming
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

think of it like a pirtate who swings his sword. I once heard him say that going to a bowl game just means that you don't have to recruit.

I know that doesn't help you. But helping can cost $$!!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I doubt the bowl game has had any affect. Otherwise, why would we lose a recruit to New Mexico? Bottom line is we lose guys every year. It is the recruits who stay loyal that we should care about.

Go Pokes!!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

who decomitted
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

It should help recruiting defensive players.... a future annual bowl team that needs defensive help and gets to beat csu every year should sound good to a recruit on the fence.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

One thing that myh friends and I talked about in the telecast was a certain ridiculous statement made during the broadcast that would surely hurt recruiting.

The ESPN commentators were supposedly quoting DC about recruiting to Laramie and it said something like "we dont have any clubs in laramie, if thats what your looking for don't come here, we have a walmart..."

Seriously, it was that ridiculous. Laramie has a ton to offer and you state that we have a walmart!!
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote:One thing that myh friends and I talked about in the telecast was a certain ridiculous statement made during the broadcast that would surely hurt recruiting.

The ESPN commentators were supposedly quoting DC about recruiting to Laramie and it said something like "we dont have any clubs in laramie, if thats what your looking for don't come here, we have a walmart..."

Seriously, it was that ridiculous. Laramie has a ton to offer and you state that we have a walmart!!
That's typical ESPN crap. Taking parts of several quotes and making a non ESPN conference school look like crap. He has a recruiting talk that deals with the fact we are a small town without a lot of distractions and if your goal is to go to college, play football, get an education and enjoy campus life then we are the perfect spot because we offer that at a level few schools can match.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

Poke Around wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:One thing that myh friends and I talked about in the telecast was a certain ridiculous statement made during the broadcast that would surely hurt recruiting.

That's typical ESPN crap. Taking parts of several quotes and making a non ESPN conference school look like crap. He has a recruiting talk that deals with the fact we are a small town without a lot of distractions and if your goal is to go to college, play football, get an education and enjoy campus life then we are the perfect spot because we offer that at a level few schools can match.
I agree, the ESPN commentators made Laramie sound like the most ridiculous/boring place to be. 18 yr olds are most certainly concerned with the fun/excitement level of a college campus. I really do think that that one statement was severely damaging.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

MrWyoming wrote:I can't help but think that nationally televised beatdown has hurt recruiting. 2 decommits since then including chamagua. Playing run oriented temple was definitely worst case scenario for wyoming all the way around.

Makes one wonder: Is it better to barely miss a bowl game, or make the new mexico bowl and get beatdown and run over on national tv?

:brick:
SMU offered Chamagua. (Scouts 2* OG161). His Manvel team lost a state championship game in Texas at Jerry World's Boss Hog Bowl.
Apparently SMU may be taking a Mean Green commit too in Richardson ISD's Dallas Lake Highlands (2* OT111) player Chase Walling.
Honestly, both those moves make me uncomfortable in a way that I'll just keep to myself BUT seems to stem from the SMU problems created by Leigh "show me the money" Steinberg (who seems to have some problems according to things I've read) and June Jones' nearly going to Arizona State AND the loss of SMU's best recruiter hired away by Mora to UCLA.
The word is that Klemm left on bad terms (had to) with June Jones that came from the way June Jones acted about trying to go coach for ASU. Also, it seems that June Jones and Klemm and others on the SMU staff were recruiting for Arizona State on SMU's dime. So there are problems.
On Scouts SMU's recruiting class has dropped from #38 to #59. Leach seems to have gotten a couple of SMU commits who were Californians.
It's a mess.
These men sure can f-word it up.

"When you f-word it up later do I get my money back?"
MrWyoming
Buckaroo

Couldn't agree more oredigger... I couldn't believe when they said laramie has no clubs, any recruits that would go there would have to just be all about the academics and not care about anything but homework....etc... My first thought was you mfer.....If I was near that asshole I woulda decked him.
MrWyoming
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

There is plenty of fun to be had in Laramie. Playboy used to rank the top party schools in the nation and after being number 1 for multiple years, they left us off the list because "the University of Wyoming are professionals and this list is for amateurs."

Plus it is always better than lame csu.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Fullback41 wrote:There is plenty of fun to be had in Laramie. Playboy used to rank the top party schools in the nation and after being number 1 for multiple years, they left us off the list because "the University of Wyoming are professionals and this list is for amateurs."

Plus it is always better than lame csu.
The Playboy party school list had some ridiculously stupid variables to how they ranked schools, though. It's really nothing to be proud of.

There's plenty to do in Laramie, but it's not going to be handed to you on a plate like in many other cities - you actually have to make an effort. If you compare Laramie to Fort Fart, Fort Fart comes out on top in almost every category there is (apart from traffic) - and it's why it's constantly ranked among the best places to live in the country.

It'd be silly to ignore that it's obvious to every visiting recruit that Laramie doesn't have all the entertainment of most larger cities. For some kids, and especially the ones we WANT to play for us, that is a PLUS instead of a minus. If they want distractions, they can go to UNLV.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Good points and I couldnt agree more. We want players who want to focus on football and school, when they do have time for fun, there is fun to be had in Laramie without getting out of hand.

The csu reference is inserted as a counter punch to the csu troll who started the negative thread.