Unis and the MWC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

MrTitleist wrote:You can have Montana!! We'll gladly divorce our bastard sister!
Can't! MSU has too much influence in the legislature (sp?). Politics always screws things up! It's why and how Baylor and Texas Tech joined the Big 8 to form the Big 12. The governor and Lt. Governor of Texas in 1994 told UT and A & M to either have BU and Texas Tech join the conference with ya or lose your oil money from the state.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

I hate politics....
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

MrTitleist wrote:I hate politics....
It's was created the Big 12 AND destroyed the WAC we knew of.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

At The very least if Mont couldn't come, get either Fresno or New Mex ST. I would rather have them than Hawaii. Do you guys remember when Hawaii was in the conference. Games didn't start untill 9 or 11 o'clock at night. Mountain time. That kills our team in Jet lag, besides no one in the conference liked traveling that far. And I know that most everytime we played there the game wouldn't start until 4 or 5 pm. their time. If you truely understand time change, then you understand the effect on the players.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Kansan Cowboy! wrote:At The very least if Mont couldn't come, get either Fresno or New Mex ST. I would rather have them than Hawaii. Do you guys remember when Hawaii was in the conference. Games didn't start untill 9 or 11 o'clock at night. Mountain time. That kills our team in Jet lag, besides no one in the conference liked traveling that far. And I know that most everytime we played there the game wouldn't start until 4 or 5 pm. their time. If you truely understand time change, then you understand the effect on the players.
True BUT.....Wyoming alwayus did better there on Oahu than any of the other WAC teams from 1979-1998.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

And to add....New Mexico State is SSSSSSSOOOOO bad they haven't been to a bowl since the Eisenhower Administratiuon (1960)!!!!!!!!!!!!

I STILL say add Boise, Fresno, and Hawaii.
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Okay. Explain to me what the importance of getting out of the WAC was , if we want to bring the majority of them back?
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

Exactly. Leaving the WAC after that stupid expansion saved the original MWC schools. I like the idea of 12 for the championship game, but hate how much it dilutes rivalries. It blows that the MWC champion is sometimes crowned with a week or two to go, or on the road after beating the last place team. Very undramatic. If we were going to go for 12, we'd need three teams. We can't kick anyone out. Imagine if after the Vic K era, the MWC booted Wyoming. Not cool. Thats said, you are not touching the Pac 10 or the Big 12. I also do not support the idea of bringing in ANY 1-AA schools. Montana is a good school with great 1-AA tradition, but would get smacked around for several years, and may never adjust. Not to mention, I think they prefer 1-AA. Plus, how is that upgrading the conf? Boise St. is an obvious good choice. Very strong, up and coming football team, that already has some ties with current teams. Would be much like the TCU addition. Average b-ball team, but thats less of the concern. Plus we dont have any orange yet, lol!
The only other WAC team I'd support bringing in is Nevada, and only mildly at this point. Fresno maybe, as they were an original WAC and have average to good F-ball and B-ball. But thats another Cali team, and we are not the Pacific West Conference. Hawaii is suddenly very strong at football, but NO ONE wants that again. Flying half way to Asia for a 2 hour basketball game is simply not worth it. Sorry. Nevada brings an average football team, and a pretty strong b-ball team, as well as good location and a rivalry with UNLV, who lets face it, doesnt have one with any current MWC school. And this conference has been down somewhat recently in basketball. That leaves on more slot. I vote UTEP. Again an original WAC foe, and again decent in both major sports. Also additonal Texas recruiting.
Organization:
MWC North:
Wyoming
CSU
BYU
Utah
Boise St.
Air Force
MWC South:
TCU
SDSU
New Mexico
UNLV
Nevada
UTEP
The con of this arrangement is a stronger North for football from top to bottom, although TCU may still keep the championships equal. Would be very equal for basketball, and very good geographically. This would actually be a great b-ball conference!! BYU, Utah, AFA, SDSU, New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada!!! And Wyoming and UTEP have their years.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Honestly, what would happen if the MWC does add 3 more is one of 2 senarios:

A. Add Boise, Fresno, and UTEP.
B. Add Boise, Fresno, and either Nevada or Hawaii.

If Hawaii doesn't get added, their football program will suffer. They are an attractive OOC game for teams but the problem is that they won't have many options for fulling out the middle of the schedule when most teams are the middle of their conference schedules. So, Indepedence is not a good thing for Hawaii besides they aren't Notre Dame when it comes to getting a T.V. deal just for Hawaii.

Never mind the PAC-10 who'll never expand unless forced by Congress!

I'm a big fan of Hawaii (although my main loyality is to WYOMING) but UH is between a rock and a hard place.