Summer hoops articles,

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 4adb4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/cowb ... 6d7e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I can hardly wait - this should be a great season if we don't have something happen like we have the last two seasons. Cooke is going to be a beast this year and we finally have our depth.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I think the big difference this year is depth. We'll have a solid core of Grabau, Cooke, Hankerson and McMannamen; Play makers in Nance and Adams; and depth of Washington, Herndon, Gorski, Barnes and Lieberman. I see a lot of potential from practically everyone on this roster, which is something we haven't been able to say in Shyatts first three years. The chemistry that everyone saw in this team last year is back. McMann sounds like he will pick up and potentially be better than Sobey. Barring no injuries or off court issues, this group can do big things, like get us back to the NCAA.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

So what is the prediction on who will be the 5th starter? Vote for one only.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Starters: Grabau 11ppg, Adams 13 ppg, McMannamen 11 ppg, Nance 12ppg, Cooke 8 ppg
Bench: Washington 3ppg, Hankerson 7 ppg, Gorski 5 ppg, Barnes and Herndon 3 ppg.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

This could be Cooke's breakout season - I think he has the potential to have a great season. If Nance is unable to go right away, then I could see McManamen, Gorski, Hernden, & Hankerson getting a lot of PT (I think they all will anyway).
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I like how this team is set up. I'm guessing that a couple of freshman will make the rotation. The other three should redshirt. That's sets us up well for next season as we'll have four new scholarships filled, so we'll be able to redshirt a couple of those guys.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

My starting 5:
Grabau
Adams
Hankerson
Cooke
Nance
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

I won't argue with your list. I think there will be a lot more rotation of players this season than there has been in the past with Shyatt. The reason for that is Shyatt has seen his starters get tired legs at the end of the previous seasons plus he will want to get some new players into the mix before conf season starts to get them some experience and get them used to the speed and physical play at this level. In other words, we have more depth now.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BeaverPoke wrote:My starting 5:
Grabau
Adams
Hankerson
Cooke
Nance

It would be a major upset if it looked any different than this.

Solid group if healthy.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:Starters: Grabau 11ppg, Adams 13 ppg, McMannamen 11 ppg, Nance 12ppg, Cooke 8 ppg
Bench: Washington 3ppg, Hankerson 7 ppg, Gorski 5 ppg, Barnes and Herndon 3 ppg.

Why so high on McManamen?

We haven't seen him play in over a year, so it's not really fair to judge, but he didn't show anything in his playing time during the 12-13 season that would indicate he was ready to be an equal contributor with Larry Nance, Jr.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:My starting 5:
Grabau
Adams
Hankerson
Cooke
Nance

It would be a major upset if it looked any different than this.

Solid group if healthy.
It's a good starting five too, but if past plays a role, Shyatt likes to be guard heavy, and from what I've heard McMann presents a 3pt shooting threat. I would be happy with both lineups. I hope a year playing has helped Hankerson to get back to who he was at Alabama. Last year almost seemed like he was trying to get back to his old form.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

I would think Hankerson starts at the 3 unless one of the freshman just come in and blow away all expectations.

I hope Mcnamen can shoot it, I just worry about his ability at the 3 on defense, if that's where they are going to play him.

The MW has some great athletes and you have to be able to play on both ends I.e. Josh Adams.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

ProudWYOAlum wrote:I would think Hankerson starts at the 3 unless one of the freshman just come in and blow away all expectations.

I hope Mcnamen can shoot it, I just worry about his ability at the 3 on defense, if that's where they are going to play him.

The MW has some great athletes and you have to be able to play on both ends I.e. Josh Adams.

My thought as well. I think McManamen is well suited to add a boost of perimeter shooting off the bench in modest minutes. We need Hankerson's ability on defense as well as his dribble drive threat on offense.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Nance really wants to play,

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 25337.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Herndon is ready to make an impact,

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 852a5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Champions 1943.

I do.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

Cowboy Junky wrote:Herndon is ready to make an impact,

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 852a5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's just getting better and better. The quality depth is better than it has been for many years and now that Herndon is off his red-shirt and available, the possibilities are very high for this team
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

If his jump shot is as good as people are saying it is he will be a valuable weapon. I don't think there's anybody in the league with a stretch 6'10" post guy. That's a hard match-up for anyone.

It does seem like we have a lot more depth coming into this season. We'll see how many of them can be effective against MWC competition.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I will believe it when I see it.
That dude looked like he weighed 110 pounds last season.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

BeaverPoke wrote:I will believe it when I see it.
That dude looked like he weighed 110 pounds last season.
Agreed. The guy was a toothpick last year. I'm sure the staff has been working hard on him in the weight room, but he needs to add 40 pounds in a bad way.