Concussion Map

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wyopokes2
Ranch Hand

Found this interesting. We lead the nation in concussions reported this year. Do you think other schools were sweeping things under the rug (none in Utah, seriously?) or is it due to something else. Either way very interesting map. We made up over 7% of all reported concussions last year! At least it seems like we are looking out for the health of our kids.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/show ... n-map.html
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Maybe we were the most cautious?
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

I think style of football does come into play a bit.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

You need a brain to have a brain concussion. At least that would account for Utah having zero (probably the same for BYU)
Mr.Large
Ranch Hand

Aljazeera? Come on!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Mr.Large wrote:Aljazeera? Come on!
Not sure what the problem is - source of data is what matters in reports like these. They're also far more serious than most American news sources these days, sadly.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Not sure what the problem is - source of data is what matters in reports like these. They're also far more serious than most American news sources these days, sadly.
That's the f-word truth!
W-Y, Until I Die!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Since 2013, the America Tonight Concussion Map has pinpointed 335 publicly reported concussions in major college football – an average of less than two per school.
This is the key term here. I would be absolutely shocked if there haven't been more than 335 diagnosed concussions in all FBS football teams between 2013 and September of 2015 (when this article was published).

The schools listed obviously report concussions in a manner than the authors were able to track and record. There are a lot of other schools not listed on here that likely don't publicly report the reason for a player being out or they don't report it in a way that the authors of the article were able to access and document. A lot of schools will just say player X is out, they won't say why.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

wyopokes2, I agree reporting concussions could skew the numbers. There are always going to be schools who fully comply and report the injuries. While there are schools who won't, that only care about winning. Those can't have their players leave the game because the team wants them on the field, whether or not they did have a concussion. I have a hunch the best teams in the country tend to conceal the information for this reason. Just my two cents.

It's just good to know that UW is doing its job, whether we win or lose.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I agree that there probably are players or coaches that tend to hide symptoms in order to prevent getting pulled off the field. But it doesn't have anything to do with compliance. There is no reason for schools to report concussions or any other injury to any entity outside of their school. It isn't like the NFL where injury reports are sent in to the league offices, athletic departments tend to keep this stuff all internally. Any schools in the study mentioned in this thread would have to voluntarily release that information. That is why there are probably a lot more concussions than were in this study because a lot of schools had them, but they don't release that information to the public.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

They have actually made a significant effort building a credible news organization. They invested heavily in proven news folks here in the States a few years back sot that they can do a good job of reporting real news. I usually assume that the substance of Al Jazeera's stories is legit.