Wyo Offensive Struggles In Stats

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Hey guys new blog breaking down some stats for this UW offense. The number's aren't pretty!

http://wyonation.com/2017/10/breaking-d ... g-offense/

Thoughts on these numbers? Many ways you can go, my take is we lost too much talent and experience at one time on one side of the ball. Tough to overcome but the coaches can do a better job i think.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Considering almost all of the players that left/graduated last year are now in the NFL (or CFL for Wick), that is a LOT to overcome in a single season.

But to go back this much? Yeah, that hurts a lot.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Good blog, Chad.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 254 times

MrTitleist wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:06 pm Good blog, Chad.
:(
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

ESPN has them with the 3rd worst offense in the country.....let that sink in
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

I think what drove me nuts is how there were certain things that worked on our first possession against Boise, and then we didn't really try it again for the rest of the game. The pass to Van Maanen, for example.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

It's like Vigen has a script of plays and plans the whole game out before it even happens. If something works we don't try it again because it's not on the script. That's my only explanation.

Also - running has been so ineffective that I would literally only try it a handful of times per game. 3.1 ypa vs. 6.1 passing. We might actually be able to sustain some drives if we only pass.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 am Also - running has been so ineffective that I would literally only try it a handful of times per game.
Would part of that ineffective running be due to the fact that virtually ALL of the attempts by the backs have been right up the middle?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 am Also - running has been so ineffective that I would literally only try it a handful of times per game.
Would part of that ineffective running be due to the fact that virtually ALL of the attempts by the backs have been right up the middle?
Absolutely. But try getting that through Vigen's and Bohl's heads
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

Total defense rankings for teams we've faced: 55, 83, 108, 67, 98, 21. (Excludes gwebb)

Total defense rankings for upcoming schedule: 53, 110, 61, 19, 126.

Our offense has struggled and the defenses we've faced haven't been barn burners for the most part.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 am
Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am
Absolutely. But try getting that through Vigen's and Bohl's heads
Outside the tackle running just isn't their bag baby.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

FIRE VIGEN

Until we get rid of the guy or Offense will be Vanilla
Look how the Defense has accelerated since Bohl let Stannard go.
Remember New Mexico last year (UNLV As well)
Watch the difference a DC can make then imagine our Offense imoroving.

Please let Vigen GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

KeepitrealWyo wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 am FIRE VIGEN

Until we get rid of the guy or Offense will be Vanilla
Look how the Defense has accelerated since Bohl let Stannard go.
Remember New Mexico last year (UNLV As well)
Watch the difference a DC can make then imagine our Offense imoroving.

Please let Vigen GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I agree. I just feel like (no stats to back this up)we have the athletes in place needed to be awesome. They are being held back by scheme, just like the defense last year. I would love to keep Vigen on as a QB coach or whatever (other than his playcalling he's good for the program), but the offense needs to be revamped. That much is painfully obvious.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 155 times

You could be the best O coordinator in the country and the results wouldn’t be much better. The O line needs to get their poop together and the RBs need to run with vision and purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:02 pm You could be the best O coordinator in the country and the results wouldn’t be much better. The O line needs to get their poop together and the RBs need to run with vision and purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disagree, but there's no way to prove this out. Maybe if we get someone new calling the plays next year... Kinda like with the D this year vs. last year.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

We won't know what we have until the season progresses. Let's face it, we've lost to 3 big time programs that none of us would have bet the house on before the season that we'd beat. We played 2 really bad teams and beat them by 27 and 35 points. We played 2 comparable programs and we managed victories. So far this is probably exactly where we'd all thought we'd be, 4-3 with wins over the teams we beat and losses to the teams that beat us. Going forward we could win out or go 1-4, as the remaining teams are our level. These last games will show how we stack up in our conference. I feel we'll see mostly the same play calling, with better execution.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I like Bohl and like how this team fights. I think the future looks good.

I expect some setbacks during a rebuild, but the level of the offense with a potential 1st round QB is concerning in year 4 of a rebuild. Step back? Sure. Step off a cliff? Well, I don't know.

I trust Bohl, but, damn, you can't help but wonder if there are some staff deficiencies. I get that we lost a lot of nfl talent, but another way to look at that is with all that talent and a weak MWC, maybe we should have been better?

Like I said, I trust Bohl but being nearly dead last in offense in year 4 ain't good.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

cowboyz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:48 pm We won't know what we have until the season progresses. Let's face it, we've lost to 3 big time programs that none of us would have bet the house on before the season that we'd beat. We played 2 really bad teams and beat them by 27 and 35 points. We played 2 comparable programs and we managed victories. So far this is probably exactly where we'd all thought we'd be, 4-3 with wins over the teams we beat and losses to the teams that beat us. Going forward we could win out or go 1-4, as the remaining teams are our level. These last games will show how we stack up in our conference. I feel we'll see mostly the same play calling, with better execution.
poop rationalization. Oregon has won 1 game since they beat us. To get run off the field by a lower tier pac 12 team at home is pathetic. Hawaii and Utah state are bottom of the barrel in the MWC and we were outplayed by both of them. Thinking this team could win out is whistling past the grave yard. But I admire your optimism! I just look at these things through a gambler's eyes and see a team that has little chance unless we win the turnover and special teams battles by big margins.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

bladerunnr wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 pm
cowboyz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:48 pm We won't know what we have until the season progresses. Let's face it, we've lost to 3 big time programs that none of us would have bet the house on before the season that we'd beat. We played 2 really bad teams and beat them by 27 and 35 points. We played 2 comparable programs and we managed victories. So far this is probably exactly where we'd all thought we'd be, 4-3 with wins over the teams we beat and losses to the teams that beat us. Going forward we could win out or go 1-4, as the remaining teams are our level. These last games will show how we stack up in our conference. I feel we'll see mostly the same play calling, with better execution.
poop rationalization. Oregon has won 1 game since they beat us. To get run off the field by a lower tier pac 12 team at home is pathetic. Hawaii and Utah state are bottom of the barrel in the MWC and we were outplayed by both of them. Thinking this team could win out is whistling past the grave yard. But I admire your optimism! I just look at these things through a gambler's eyes and see a team that has little chance unless we win the turnover and special teams battles by big margins.
Yep, Oregon beat one team since facing us, Cal, a team that then went on to beat a Top 10 team by 34 points. This is how the big programs work. For the most part they all have the talent and can beat one another up regularly. Oregon is in a down turn right now, but they, like most Power 5 teams, have the horses to beat up on the MWC teams. Hawaii and Utah State aren't the bottom of the barrel in the MWC, their right in the middle, with us, and it'll probably be where they both wind up, which is why I called them comparable programs. These type games is where we decide if we're back on suicide watch or treading water. I didn't say we will win out, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did. As a gambler, are you saying you had us somewhere besides 4-3 after the first seven games. I doubt it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

The thread is about offense. WYO is finding ways to win DESPITE the O. I agree. That is encouraging but does not alleviate concerns about the offense.

No, the defenses we've faced are largely middling to bad.

The offense concerns are valid.