This defensive group is special

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

That will go down as a true humbling. Cougs were a legit PAC team. The physical and technical domination was there. The o-line on both teams are listed as roughly the same sizes. One line was twice as big/good.

Logan Wilson is the best middle linebacker Wyoming has ever had. He's the best player on the field. Even in that cougs game. Best defensive player here since? Mitch Donahue?

That defensive front rotation is amazing for Wyoming. They got schooled but it will only get better and there's a handful of games they will just run over. I think what happened to them against the cougs will help.

I like 9&7 and their hybrid roles in this hybrid D. Because of Wilson they'll prob play this 4-1-6 type d throughout the year.

The best groups they've had in 20+ years at almost everywhere. S's, cb, de, dt, nb + plus the MLB. This group will do some damage. You know who else might be the best player since Mitch? Wingard. And granderson.

Just can't get over how good this defensive group can be. I'm a believer in the Qb and in the offense to improving. This d will win games
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

Last year will be hard to top. I know it's basically the same group of players, but last year was special from a defensive standpoint.
#21 Coldon got burnt a couple times so I'm going to say that we're missing Gafford. Coldon might end up being great, but he's not quite there yet.

I really like what I saw out of Tyler Hall. He is fast and physical. I think he's got NFL written all over him, especially with the way his nickel position is coming into prominence.

I was bitterly disappointed in our ability to get a pass rush without blitzing. We rushed four and never really got any pressure. I didn't think that was possible with Granderson, Prosser, Ghiffan and Maluuulu. what the heck happened? either they had a bad day, WSU oline is all-world, or they are not as good as I think.

Logan is a great player, but the main LB-related takeaway is I think we saw what is behind Caash and it's definitely NOT as good. Cash is a special player.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:13 pm
Logan Wilson is the best middle linebacker Wyoming has ever had. He's the best player on the field. Even in that cougs game. Best defensive player here since? Mitch Donahue?

I like Logan Wilson as he is a great competitor but I don't agree at all. The best linebacker that I have watched at Wyoming was Patrick Chukwurah.

Guys that I think were better defensive players: John Fletcher, Chris Prosinski, Andrew Wingard, Carl Granderson, John Wendling, Eddie Yarbrough, Brian Lee, Gabe Knapton (I'm sure I'm missing a few).
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:33 pm

I like Logan Wilson as he is a great competitor but I don't agree at all. The best linebacker that I have watched at Wyoming was Patrick Chukwurah.

Guys that I think were better defensive players: John Fletcher, Chris Prosinski, Andrew Wingard, Carl Granderson, John Wendling, Eddie Yarbrough, Brian Lee, Gabe Knapton (I'm sure I'm missing a few).
Was Chukwurah a LB. I think in that defense they had him as "Bandit" which I remember him playing more as a DE. I think they just let him line up wherever he wanted though. I could be misremembering but I seem to remember him playing more along the line than in the LB spot.

He was a monster though.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

DL got stood up vs. WSU and Colden was picked on all afternoon. The DL knows they can be so much better, but Wazzu won't be the last team to attack Colden like that. There was no blueprint to breaking the Wyoming defense in 2017. There is one in 2018 if C.J. doesn't grow up quickly. I'm very curious to see how the defense bounces back this week. I know Ghaifan and Granderson in particular can be soooo much better than what we saw on Saturday, especially #93.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Was Chukwurah a LB. I think in that defense they had him as "Bandit" which I remember him playing more as a DE. I think they just let him line up wherever he wanted though. I could be misremembering but I seem to remember him playing more along the line than in the LB spot.

He was a monster though.
They did let him line up anywhere as a 'Bandit' but I'm pretty sure he was listed as and drafted as a LB. He seemed to play on the line because I think he dialed up his own number to blitz quite often.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Ken fantetti. Sheep destroyer.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

The defensive group is special...... but we have seen what happens to great defenses if their offenses can’t hold up their end of the bargain and the defense loses faith.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm

He was a monster though.
They did let him line up anywhere as a 'Bandit' but I'm pretty sure he was listed as and drafted as a LB. He seemed to play on the line because I think he dialed up his own number to blitz quite often.
He was playing the "Bandit" position which was basically a DE/OLB hybrid. He had responsibilities that sometimes included pass coverage, rush/contain, etc. He wasn't lining up wherever he wanted. It depended on the offensive formation and what defense was called.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

BJC wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:23 pm

He was a monster though.
He was playing the "Bandit" position which was basically a DE/OLB hybrid. He had responsibilities that sometimes included pass coverage, rush/contain, etc. He wasn't lining up wherever he wanted. It depended on the offensive formation and what defense was called.
I meant that part mainly in jest because he was such a bad ass and would line up in different places all over the field.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:59 pm
BJC wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:23 pm

He was a monster though.
I meant that part mainly in jest because he was such a bad ass and would line up in different places all over the field.
:thumb: